Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:17 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,808,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Good point. Super pollo is both better and cheaper than pio pio. They probably just don't need the marketing, I see their scooter moving chickens all over the place. Rudy's never impressed me, sad that there aren't anymore authentic German bakeries where you can get an off the hook strudel or turnover. Used to be a couple left in middle village that are now gone.
Yea I think the last one was the spot that became polish; Krakoswie Jolie or something like that... It used to be Zum Stammitsch... (I know I'm definitely spelling that wrong lol)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:
What is the best Latin restaurant in the greater Bushwick/Ridgewood area? Either Caribbean or Central/South American.
Oh man that's a good question... I think since there is so many options though, it would be better to break down by ethnicity or location if unfamiliar with the cultures...

I could do my best breakdown

- Puerto Rican- Not too many at all - The only standard true PR spot left was actually in Glendale called Mi Isla on Myrtle ave but it shut down a few months ago. After that you have Mi isla cuchifritos on Knickerbocker ave and Myrtle ave., another Cuchifritos PR spot on Myrtle and Broadway and a mixed PR/DR place in Sancocho y Empanadas. Out of the three I'd still have to say the one on Knickerbocker and Myrtle is the best PR place we have left.

- Dominican - Aris - Pollo A la Brasa on Metropolitan ave near Himrod St. - This spot is about a block away from where I live. The owners used to be the original owners from Rico pollo when Rico Pollo used to be absolutely delicious but they then relocated to this area. Best baked chicken you'll ever taste... Juicy, melts in your mouth, packed with flavor, absolutely delicious... Their Mangu con los tres golpes is delicious as well and the cheapest price you'll find for a large plate (6.50 for a huge plate of mashed plantains, fried eggs, fried cheese, salami and cooked onions with a drink)

Honorable mentions simply because there are so many - El Valle on Wilson ave I believe is very good, La estrella del mar which relocated to Seneca ave and Bleecker St. and Jorge's right underneath the Seneca stop on the M.

Columbian - Montanero - This is one of the few if only Columbian places in the neighborhood but it does not disappoint. Located on Myrtle ave near Madison St.

Ecuadorian - Super Pollo - Woodward and 68th ave - Very good baked chicken and has a different flavor than your typical Dominican chicken

Honorable Mention - La Canoa and the food carts near Wyckoff and Myrtle ave.

Mexican - Too many to name but my personal favorites are Cholula Deli on Wyckoff and Grove and Fajitas Sunrise (even though it's not your typical hole in the wall legit spot, I like the food and the environment of the place) - Myrtle ave near Stephen St.

Salvadorean - El salvadoreno - Myrtle ave between palmetto and gates... I personally heard that there's a place in East Williamsburg that's much better than this place but for the cheap prices the food is definitely well worth it IMO. Their horchata's (drink) are delicious and the cheese and bacon pupusa is really good there.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,315,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Oh man that's a good question... I think since there is so many options though, it would be better to break down by ethnicity or location if unfamiliar with the cultures...

I could do my best breakdown

- Puerto Rican- Not too many at all - The only standard true PR spot left was actually in Glendale called Mi Isla on Myrtle ave but it shut down a few months ago. After that you have Mi isla cuchifritos on Knickerbocker ave and Myrtle ave., another Cuchifritos PR spot on Myrtle and Broadway and a mixed PR/DR place in Sancocho y Empanadas. Out of the three I'd still have to say the one on Knickerbocker and Myrtle is the best PR place we have left.

- Dominican - Aris - Pollo A la Brasa on Metropolitan ave near Himrod St. - This spot is about a block away from where I live. The owners used to be the original owners from Rico pollo when Rico Pollo used to be absolutely delicious but they then relocated to this area. Best baked chicken you'll ever taste... Juicy, melts in your mouth, packed with flavor, absolutely delicious... Their Mangu con los tres golpes is delicious as well and the cheapest price you'll find for a large plate (6.50 for a huge plate of mashed plantains, fried eggs, fried cheese, salami and cooked onions with a drink)

Honorable mentions simply because there are so many - El Valle on Wilson ave I believe is very good, La estrella del mar which relocated to Seneca ave and Bleecker St. and Jorge's right underneath the Seneca stop on the M.

Columbian - Montanero - This is one of the few if only Columbian places in the neighborhood but it does not disappoint. Located on Myrtle ave near Madison St.

Ecuadorian - Super Pollo - Woodward and 68th ave - Very good baked chicken and has a different flavor than your typical Dominican chicken

Honorable Mention - La Canoa and the food carts near Wyckoff and Myrtle ave.

Mexican - Too many to name but my personal favorites are Cholula Deli on Wyckoff and Grove and Fajitas Sunrise (even though it's not your typical hole in the wall legit spot, I like the food and the environment of the place) - Myrtle ave near Stephen St.

Salvadorean - El salvadoreno - Myrtle ave between palmetto and gates... I personally heard that there's a place in East Williamsburg that's much better than this place but for the cheap prices the food is definitely well worth it IMO. Their horchata's (drink) are delicious and the cheese and bacon pupusa is really good there.
Thanks. I'll be working my way through these over the next couple months. Some I've been to and will revisit, other I'll have to check out for the first time. I was hyped about that place in Glendale, and was disappointed to get there and see them closed without ever giving it a try. For how many Puerto Ricans there are, you'd think there would be more restaurants.

Old 08-06-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=893+B...ed=0CCoQ8gEwAA

Are you serious? I'd expect a little more knowledge on this area coming from you... If it's passed Woodhull and the JMZ Myrtle-Broadway stop... How on Earth can it still be in Bushwick?
Maybe we should just start calling that area Bedwick:
Welcome To Bedwick: A Gentrifier's Paradise Where Bed-Stuy & Bushwick Meet: Gothamist

Old 08-06-2013, 12:08 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,637 times
Don't be shocked if you are accosted there, be careful

Old 08-06-2013, 12:15 PM

10,068 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Bushwick's attraction is also what makes it so disgusting to some people. Bushwick was one of the worst neighborhoods in New York City for years. It has literally risen out of the burned out ashes (tons of burnings in the 70's). It was one of NYC's sketchiest neighborhoods, arguably.
Today, I think that the allure of Bushwick is it's proximity to Williamsburg and Manhattan, it's large spaces for less (although that is becoming untrue quickly), it's artistic residents and originality, the allure of well-off millennials living side-by-side with impoverished and struggling immigrants and the "cool or hip" factor that brings. Very bizarre but NYC is full of stories over the years like that.
Look at Soho, the East Village, and Harlem. Turnover and change are constant and reliable!

Old 08-06-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks. I'll be working my way through these over the next couple months. Some I've been to and will revisit, other I'll have to check out for the first time. I was hyped about that place in Glendale, and was disappointed to get there and see them closed without ever giving it a try. For how many Puerto Ricans there are, you'd think there would be more restaurants.
The problem is, for some reason, alot of PR people in this city are not really business savvy. For example, those guys in that PR restaurant were very laid back and it would take them forever to make the food. They also didn't have enough people working the front. They were days it would literally be packed in there and there'd be only one person up front taking everyone's orders... Even if people are dying for a PR restaurant to come into the neighborhood, eventually they get tired of the crappy service...

I also do think the area had something to do with it. I know that section of myrtle being that it's a little more sleepy is probably cheaper but if they had looked into Ridgewood, there is no way on Earth that place would be closed right now, bad service and all... There are alot of Puerto Ricans in Glendale especially in that Liberty Park section, but most of them that I know hang out in Ridgewood...

Too many factors led to them closing and it's really unfortunate because the food was very good... There alcapurrias were on point, the pasteles with banana leaves were delicious and the tembleque dessert that they used to make was fantastic...

Oh well, hopefully soneone takes that concept and runs with it in Ridgewood. There are plenty of empty storefronts just begging for a PR restaurant in this neighborhood...

Old 08-06-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:

Old 08-06-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Ha, I thought Bedwick would be a good compromise between you and jad2k. I've heard Bushwood thrown around out there, which sounds ridiculous. I've seen Glenridge used by some old-time businesses on the Ridgewood/Glendale border. Mafera Park used to be called Glenridge park at one time (as well as Farmers Oval, which I know of it as).

Old 08-06-2013, 03:07 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=893+B...ed=0CCoQ8gEwAA

Are you serious? I'd expect a little more knowledge on this area coming from you... If it's passed Woodhull and the JMZ Myrtle-Broadway stop... How on Earth can it still be in Bushwick?
It's splitting hairs but Bedstuy/Bushwick border is Broadway and the address places it on the north eastern side which means it's Bushwick. It's probably fair to say it's on the border but you plain out slammed the other poster as if it is unquestionably and solidly IN Bedstuy. It's not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City