U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2007, 01:48 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,725,697 times

Advertisements

Yes from a Bronx perspective..the selection is fine..but she is inquiring from the point of view of Manhattan...so of course we should keep in mind her idea of a good selection and ours are lightyears apart.

In Mott Haven I don't have that much either...I have Bruckner Bar and Grill (Zagat Rated), Giovanni's (Italian,Zagat Rated), Alexander's Cafe (coffee, excellent pastries, yummy brunch, outdoor seating), Piu Piu (Peruvian,Zagat Rated ), and a slew of Latin/Caribbean cuisine, as well as the usual Pizza, Chinese takeout.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2007, 02:16 PM

2,978 posts, read 3,725,697 times
Doh! Let's not forget the good 'Ole German restuarant, Schlitz Inn....its been around forever!

Old 11-12-2007, 02:59 PM

12,119 posts, read 31,969,327 times
Seventh Floor--Your screen name reminds me of a novelty hit in 1977 by Paul Nicholas called "Heaven on the Seventh Floor"-about a guy who gets stuck in an elevator on the 7th floor with an attractive woman--he says "I've never been so high before so don't rescue me, never set me free"

I've been living in Riverdale since 1991. I first rented in a Co-op bulding across from where i live now and when I moved in the rent was $595 for a large studio with a separate kitchen. I had to leave 2 years ago when the company sold the units (wasn't ready to buy) and I was paying $795 when i left

I moved across the street to this current. rent stabilized bldg with 50 units. The rent was $775 but it's now a bit over $800. I won't be ready to buy anything(I like Bronxville) for another year or two.

When i was looking for an apt 2 years ago i looked at a beautiful studio on Broadway and 259th street. The rent was $785 and although it didn't look like anything special on the outside, the place was beautiful inside. Separate kitchen, really spacious, green carpeting with white stucco walls. I would have been interested in that but the agent never got back to me

So good deals are out there, you just have to look.

Don't forget however that these are studios. It's all i can afford but i seem to do well and the neighborhood just can't be beat

Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM

506 posts, read 2,195,237 times
Default restaraunts......

Mead, I agree with you....Mosholu ave has Park place , Benneficos, Japanese restaurant, Kelly Ryan's, riverdale ave has Green Tree Brand New, Riverdale Steak house, 242 st. Broadway has Jakes, Around the corner Riverdale garden, Johnson ave has 4 more,plus many others....For the Bronx it has a lot to offer...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:06 PM

432 posts, read 1,820,709 times
My son just graduated from college in Riverdale. (Mount St Vincent) He works there and is a grad student at Columbia. When he went hunting for apartments, he would have loved to stay in Riverdale, but found a place in the Inwood section of Manhattan instead. The trip on subway from Riverdale Ave to Columbia is not too horrible, about 45 minutes I think. He found that by having an apartment in Inwood he didn't have quite so far to go from either location when he's ready to go home. And there just wasn't much in Riverdale in his price range in a rental.

As for restaurants, we've gone to a Japanese place near the college a few times, really nice.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 21,857 times
I'm looking for a place, and was considering the Inwood/Riverdale area. How would the commute be from there to 125th street in Harlem? Also, do you think it would be reasonable to find a place for $1000 or less a month?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City