Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2013, 04:11 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
^Lack of foresight.

The worst areas of the Bronx have improved dramatically over the last 20 years. This is the time to invest, not when prices are sky high. Those that did in the early 1990s already see significantly higher property values.

Certain corridors are only destined to continue to improve. The Grand Concourse, Mott Haven, Longwood historical district have great mass transit options and excellent housing stock. Melrose has brand new largely innovative housing stock. Other areas are not bad places to live at all like Parkchester, Westchester Sq, Bronx Park East, Norwood, Kingsbridge, Throgs, Neck.

Funny you mention Hunts Point because although the area contains only a small pocket of residences, there are some really well kept semi-attached rowhouses located inside of there. A lot of the pre-war 5-6 stories need gut renovations though. It's happening too.

I never tried to insinuate that the area is the same as it was 20 years ago there, kiddo. Very very few areas in the city are. And the ones that are were nice anyway. Anybody who invested anywhere in this city 20 years has made profit (experienced inflation as well). I'm just giving you my honest impression after a lengthy ride throughout the area. I would never personally, or advise anyone to live in any of those areas if they enjoy a nice QOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 04:15 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,216,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
LMAO! I'm even more surprised that you took a bike ride through there and made it back safe without being robbed or otherwise. I would NEVER do something like that.

I've got my wolverine beard goin at the moment. Coupled with ridiculous biceps, pectorals, and calves....nobody was messin with me bro.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
What about the Belmont area becoming the next hot spot? Pro's a lot of good quality food spots. Old cool looking buildings. You have a increasing Fordham U as your anchor. The big negative would be the mass transit argument. You can hoof down to the Metro North at Fordham stop. Some Bus service but no express bus. No subways. A poor mans Greenpoint?

Old 08-06-2013, 04:33 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
If you had not said that, I would've of assumed you were living in Williamsburg or the LES with the level of amenities you seem to be looking for.
So you were living in the Rockaways, by choice (right?); is there a lot of 'worthwhile clubs, stores, and gyms' out there? Is there a lot going on in Rockaway?
I went SWIMMING in the OCEAN every day the beach was OPEN! From May till the end of Sept.

So that was an AMENITY right there!!!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
There's quite a bit that I do like. I wasn't raised in proverty and neither am I used to such conditions. You'd be hard pressed to find comedy clubs and "shows on stage" in many of the other boroughs either. My big question is -- why are you still there? If you want more, then you'll need to pay more. AGAIN, there are nabes in the Bronx that offer more. You chose to live in a place that lacks such amenities. Or leave altogether. Westchester might be an option. Sticking around in a place that you despise ain't good.
I already said I'm not renewing my lease, meaning I AM LEAVING!

Old 08-06-2013, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Isn't Far Rockaway poor too though? It's like living in the projects in East Harlem moving to Brownsville and then crying about Brownsville being poor when East Harlem is probably just as bad. lol
Actually, no, it wasn't poor. I lived in the Jewish section, and it was pretty well to do. Lots of nice houses (front and backyards) and cars.

The Rockaways have other well off sections, like Neponsit, parts of Arvene, Breezy Point, Belle Harbor, etc. They've never been all poor, even before the recent interest in them in the past few years. In most cities, beach fronts and beach real estate are recognized as good investments. So I was happy to rent a place out there, and swim in the ocean every day, until Hurricane Sandy wrecked my place and I lost everything.

I'd only lived there for a year. Before that, I did live in Spanish Harlem, at 100 and Lex (the area has gentrified a little). On a good day, I could walk to midtown,and there are lot of restaurants and bars on the Upper East Side, plus you're a short train ride from Union Square or the Lower East Side.

And note I did not complain about the Bronx being poor (though it is). I complained that there is NOTHING to do in the Bronx. The Rockaways had the beaches, which is a huge draw. The Bronx has nothing that really draws people here, and you all know it. That includes Riverdale, btw.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykiddo718718 View Post
Our definitions of gentrification are very different. When I think gentrification, I think:

"The process of renewal and rebuilding accompanying the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents"

This IS happening in the Bronx.

An influx of Whites does not improve a neighborhood. An influx of money does in contrast to an area once rife with poverty. The Bronx has come a long way, there are many more working people in areas that traditionally faced complete disinvestment for almost half a century. Your focus on Whitening means little in regards to quality of life.

There is also a small influx of non-Hispanic Whites into certain sections of the borough. An influx that may likely increase according to recent trends. Personally, in find it irrelevant. There are already areas in the Bronx with a lots of Whites. What certain areas need are more higher income earners and better more diverse businesses.

The Bronx an ugly, overdeveloped suburb? No different than upper Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, or SI. The Bronx is an urban, densely populated, mixed use area peripheral the core with a diverse selection of housing and excellent mass transit. It's both self sustaining yet dependent on that core. You can live/work in Bronx neighborhoods, and never leave them. At the same time, many workers do commute into Manhattan. The best part is that it's close.
Both Brooklyn and Queens have a lot more in terms of restaurants, clubs, theater, and other off the workd entertainment. I've lived in Jackson Heights, with its great international cuisine. I lived in Bedstuy for a couple of years. Not only had nice cafes already opened up there, it was a short distance from the hipster nightlife scene of Brooklyn. There was a YMCA near me home, and a NYC department of parks and recreation gym in Williamsburg, so I had too pools to chose from. There were nice organic food/health food stores in Williamsburg (now getting a Whole Foods).

So no, Brooklyn isn't an ugly dense suburb, nor is Queens. The Bronx is.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:11 PM

3,357 posts, read 4,632,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Both Brooklyn and Queens have a lot more in terms of restaurants, clubs, theater, and other off the workd entertainment. I've lived in Jackson Heights, with its great international cuisine. I lived in Bedstuy for a couple of years. Not only had nice cafes already opened up there, it was a short distance from the hipster nightlife scene of Brooklyn. There was a YMCA near me home, and a NYC department of parks and recreation gym in Williamsburg, so I had too pools to chose from. There were nice organic food/health food stores in Williamsburg (now getting a Whole Foods).

So no, Brooklyn isn't an ugly dense suburb, nor is Queens. The Bronx is.
I wouldn't choose to live in Wakefield either, but it's crazy to assume that your area is typical of the entire borough. You also assume that everyone wants just what you want. Regarding amenities - we moved here partially because of the close proximity of the Botanical Gardens, which I think is an amazing amenity. I also thought it was great to be close enough to the zoo to walk there (I have kids). I like to be able to walk to Fordham (I'm a grad) and like cut through to get to little Italy. We see shows at Lehman Center, which is within walking distance. Where I live is full of art deco architecture and very green and hilly. I can't imagine anyone would call it suburban either.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:23 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I've got my wolverine beard goin at the moment. Coupled with ridiculous biceps, pectorals, and calves....nobody was messin with me bro.
After a grim bike tour through the south bronx (or Southern Bronx as sobroguy would say ) we caught a glimpse of availableusername walking his French poodle named Coco.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:29 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,906,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I went SWIMMING in the OCEAN every day the beach was OPEN! From May till the end of Sept.

So that was an AMENITY right there!!!
But you were talking about 'worthwhile clubs, stores, and gyms' so in what part of the Jewish section of the Rockaways are those ameneties? They got gay bars there too?

btw, last time I checked the Bronx had beaches (not to mention lap pools) where you can swim too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City