Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2013, 02:40 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Those parts of Brooklyn and Queens are right across the river from Manhattan, so that helped. The part of Manhattan that is adjacent to the Bronx is just starting to turn the corner, so as East Harlem continues to gentrify, the Bronx will see more spillover form those who have been priced out. So gentrification is going to be a slow and arduous task for the South Bronx. It can be done, but not in our lifetimes IMO. In order for real progress to begin, the revitilization of the 149th Street corridor is key. They should attempt to rival 125th Street on that type of commercial scale. It's actually a huge deal when you have Joe's Crab Shack, Red Lobster, etc. opening up on 125th Street. It means that it was determined that there is a market in Harlem for these types of eateries.

A lot of housing stock in the Bronx is not in the greatest condition either, which is a shame because the brownstones and tenements can look as great as they did when they were first built. Let's not even talk of the beautiful Art Deco buildings on the Concourse.

I don't think there's really room like that in the South Bronx to build new luxury housing; it would have to be along the waterfront.
Good points. Actually, Harlem right across the River from the Bronx is NYCHA land and as ghetto as ever. The parts of Brooklyn and Queens that gentrified weren't just close to Manhattan. Astoria and LIC were very close to Midtown, one of the major job centers. Plus film (Citibank) and tv production, banking, Jet Blue, all set up shop in LIC. The parts of Brooklyn that gentrified are close to either Midtown or Downtown. Also, the Union Square area and Gramercy have a number of jobs, and they are close to Williamsburg, Bedsuty, etc.

The Bronx is FAR from Midtown. Harlem maybe as far as large scale gentrification goes, and lets face it, not all of Harlem has gentrified. Spanish Harlem has mainly gentrified up to 105th Street. Spanish Harlem and the rest of Harlem have areas that will take a long time to gentrify, and who knows what will happen during the next recession.

The Bronx would need companies opening up facilities in the South Bronx. In other words, it will take major corporate investment to reduce poverty there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 02:41 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,042,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Yeah, we're all clueless about the Bronx because we're outsiders. Those people who stole car parts were just trying to assist him to get home safely. Outstanding Bronxites, you know. You expect people to overlook all of these issues by having your buddy post a few misleading photos as if the Bronx has done a 360 overnight.
Exactly, you're an outsider. Glad to know that at least you can be that honest and a lot of things have happened since 1997. You know that was 16-years-ago right? Anyhow, I don't know the OP and the pics are exactly what they are pics. I don't think they were photo-shopped or made to misrepresent anything.

No, the Bronx has not changed over night. That would be far from the truth but I know what it was back in the bad old days and I see the improvement. At this point in time it seems as though that positive progress will continue but no one knows for sure.

There is potential here and it's not limited to 3-4 neighborhoods. For those who cannot deal with the very notion of living in the Bronx (oh the horror ) they will find a way to make it elsewhere in NYC or they will just have to leave.

At the end of the day it's really about your finances.

For those priced out of the rest of the boroughs or living in cramped arrangements don't be scared to consider the alternatives.

Some people rather pay 1k a piece to share a 1 bedroom in Union Square with 3-4 other people. Hey, whatever works for them. Me? I would never. I would rather have a 1bed in parkchester for that 1k. Ok. so this is about giving out INFORMATION to those who are interested.

I've stated everything I feel that I needed to state and will be moving on with my day. Enjoy your's and if you want to have the last word...go ahead have it for today at least I'm done responding directly to you.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Yes, I'm in total denial and completely ignorant about the borough I've lived in since the 1970s.

The posters from Queens, the one who got his car messed up nearly 20 years ago, and you the poster who hides in Riverdale and won't even call it the Bronx are the go to people for Bronx info.
I disagree with Grovesnor on a lot of things. With that said, huge parts of the Bronx are full of poverty. No, I don't think every neighborhood here is bad. There are real estate brokers that advertise Section 8 and other welfare apartments on signs outside the brokerage for the South Bronx, Allerton Avenue, Edenwald, and other areas of the Bronx.

If a brokerage firm is saying we accept clients who have Section 8, that's a sign of POVERTY for THOSE areas, meaning a lot of people are on government programs.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:

There is potential here and it's not limited to 3-4 neighborhoods. For those who cannot deal with the very notion of living in the Bronx (oh the horror ) they will find a way to make it elsewhere in NYC or they will just have to leave.

At the end of the day it's really about your finances.

For those priced out of the rest of the boroughs or living in cramped arrangements don't be scared to consider the alternatives.

Some people rather pay 1k a piece to share a 1 bedroom in Union Square with 3-4 other people. Hey, whatever works for them. Me? I would never. I would rather have a 1bed in parkchester for that 1k. Ok. so this is about giving out INFORMATION to those who are interested.
Yes, at the end of the day its about you and your finances. And yes, the Bronx and Staten Island are the cheapest boroughs.

But while it certain can suck to share 1k to share a bedroom in union square, do keep in mind that 1k in the Bronx isn't all that. Meaning a lot of the buildings here are poorly maintained, and the Bronx doesn't have much in the way of gyms, nightlife, and other amenities and things to do. Its ridiculous that apartments in the Bronx can cost 1k a month, but the reason why landlords even get to charge that is because of Section 8 and other welfare programs that hold up the prices.

So probably most people used to a higher standard of living would rather leave town. As for me personally, I'm one of those who would leave. The North Bronx, you really need a car if you stay here long term, its far from worthwhile stores and train service is spotty weekends and nights.

Old 08-04-2013, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I disagree with Grovesnor on a lot of things. With that said, huge parts of the Bronx are full of poverty. No, I don't think every neighborhood here is bad. There are real estate brokers that advertise Section 8 and other welfare apartments on signs outside the brokerage for the South Bronx, Allerton Avenue, Edenwald, and other areas of the Bronx.

If a brokerage firm is saying we accept clients who have Section 8, that's a sign of POVERTY for THOSE areas, meaning a lot of people are on government programs.
The post directly above this one sums up my opinion.

I never denied that the Bronx still has high concentrations of poverty. The comparisons to Beirut or a third-world country are greatly exaggerated and people who state stupid stuff like that have never been to a third world country before.

The Bronx isn't Mayberry but a lot of the information that is put out there by "outsiders" is hyped up far beyond the truth.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:00 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,735 times
Quote:
Good points. Actually, Harlem right across the River from the Bronx is NYCHA land and as ghetto as ever. The parts of Brooklyn and Queens that gentrified weren't just close to Manhattan. Astoria and LIC were very close to Midtown, one of the major job centers. Plus film (Citibank) and tv production, banking, Jet Blue, all set up shop in LIC. The parts of Brooklyn that gentrified are close to either Midtown or Downtown. Also, the Union Square area and Gramercy have a number of jobs, and they are close to Williamsburg, Bedsuty, etc.

The Bronx is FAR from Midtown. Harlem maybe as far as large scale gentrification goes, and lets face it, not all of Harlem has gentrified. Spanish Harlem has mainly gentrified up to 105th Street. Spanish Harlem and the rest of Harlem have areas that will take a long time to gentrify, and who knows what will happen during the next recession.

The Bronx would need companies opening up facilities in the South Bronx. In other words, it will take major corporate investment to reduce poverty there.
The Bronx is NOT far from Midtown

25-30 Minutes from Midtown on the <6> from Parkchester
35 Minutes on the (5) from Morris Park
20 Minutes to Midtown on any of the 2/5 line stations south of Simpson.
20-25 Minutes to Midtown-34th Street on the D on stations south of Tremont. and South of Mount Eden on the 4
15 Minutes to Midtown from 149th Street and Grand Concourse on the 2,4 or 5.
45 Minutes on the Express Bus from Throggs Neck and Parkchester
Under 25 minutes from any station in the Bronx to Grand Central on Metro North

It takes longer to get to midtown from the gentrified areas of Brooklyn. Not to mention certain areas of the bronx have both east and west side train access, which are all express lines.

You also have to realize, the Bronx economy is different. The majority of people who live here aren't commuting to jobs in manhattan, there has been study after study, including Metro North's own, saying reverse commute to Westchester and CT make the money, because thats where the job's are.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The post directly above this one sums up my opinion.

I never denied that the Bronx still has high concentrations of poverty. The comparisons to Beirut or a third-world country are greatly exaggerated and people who state stupid stuff like that have never been to a third world country before.

The Bronx isn't Mayberry but a lot of the information that is put out there by "outsiders" is hyped up far beyond the truth.
Oh, that I agree, and the crime is overhyped as well. There are some truly bad pockets (Edenwald, parts of Mott Haven, and other areas) but most of the Bronx isn't as bad as people make it out to be. However, yeah, its full of poorly maintained buildings which SHOULD not get 1k a month in rent. The landlords live in LI and Westchester and just suck up government money (a lot of people are working minimum wage jobs and so can't afford to pay the rent from paychecks alone). A lot of the people who work here work in retail or other low paying positions (someone has to do these jobs).

Its why I find the fast food workers strike so interesting, here these workers are coming out and admitting their employers pay them so little they have to get public assistance to survive.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:10 PM

343 posts, read 1,025,735 times
Quote:
Yes, at the end of the day its about you and your finances. And yes, the Bronx and Staten Island are the cheapest boroughs.

But while it certain can suck to share 1k to share a bedroom in union square, do keep in mind that 1k in the Bronx isn't all that. Meaning a lot of the buildings here are poorly maintained, and the Bronx doesn't have much in the way of gyms, nightlife, and other amenities and things to do. Its ridiculous that apartments in the Bronx can cost 1k a month, but the reason why landlords even get to charge that is because of Section 8 and other welfare programs that hold up the prices.

So probably most people used to a higher standard of living would rather leave town. As for me personally, I'm one of those who would leave. The North Bronx, you really need a car if you stay here long term, its far from worthwhile stores and train service is spotty weekends and nights.
Lies and Hearsay.

There is a Planet Fitness at damn near every train station in the bronx. Blink Fitness has 3 locations in the Bronx. Not to mention the private gyms
The Bronx has 6 starbucks for crying out loud (if thats a marker of gentry) It has 3 Targets, 2 Macy's
A Panera Bread, 2 BBQ's, Gothic Cabinet Crafts, A Best Buy, A SEARS, and ALDI, Small antique and furniture stores, It's about to get it's first Luxury outlet mall on the Whitestone cinema's lot. It's first Marriot Hotel, and a Boutique hotel on E.149th Street.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

What amenities does the bronx NOT have, that aren't anywhere else?

What things do you speak of that aren't to do? Have you been to the Bronx Museaum of the Arts Lately?
Or checked in with RDAC? or the activities at the POINT? CITY ISLAND? THE TRAILS AND HORSEBACK RIDING AND GOLFING AT ORCHARD BEACH? THe ZOO? Botanical Gardens, Van Courtlandt Park, Wave Hill? Arthur Avenue... REALLY? You wan't more to do?? Hop on a 5 minute train ride and go to Harlem.. or go Downtown..

The North Bronx, you don't need a car... There are plenty Zipcar's if you really need to go somewhere. Spotty train service is made up by excellent express bus service til 2am and Metro North compliments.

There are tons of section 8 tenants in Bed-Stuy and Crown Heights. One could argue that folks in Brooklyn on the G train are FAR out, and not near any amenities... What logic are you using?

Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM

Quote:

It all depends on where in the Bronx you are paying that 1k. My building is well-maintained. I've never smelled pee-pee anywhere in this complex, the management company responds quickly to complaints, and there are plenty of amenities here.

I'm not in the N. Bronx anymore but I have lived in that area before. I've lived on Bronx Blvd off of 225th. The Pelham Pkwy area...The Gunhill area right behind the Oval Park. I went to school around Mosholu pkwy and lived there a few years too. Bedford park...Kingsbridge...Fordham? All areas that I have extensive knowledge of. Parkchester is my recent location. I'm less familiar with the S. Bronx but I have a better idea than someone who recently moved to Riverdale and stays there.

Some areas of the N. Bronx are more isolated than others but that also stands for certain areas of Brooklyn (Canarsie or Mill Basin for example) and Queens (areas in Jamaica that are FAR from subway lines) etc. If you live in an area of the N. Bronx like Wakefield there is shopping on White Plains road...though I won't lie, I can't stand that area and moved after 6 months, there is Bay Plaza if you're more east and you can get anything there.

Like I stated several times already. I'm giving out information for those who want it. If it comes down to you moving out of NYC or rooming with multiple people to have the quality of life you desire, have at it. Why come into a thread spreading negativity and discouraging people who are willing to explore the options for affordable housing in a city where the COL is criminally high?

What would a person get out of that?

I think some people just can't feel good about themselves unless they have someone else to look down on.

Old 08-04-2013, 03:18 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,861,266 times
As always, there is misinformation in this thread. The parts of Queens that were supposedly "gentrified" by LIC's big businesses were former manufacturing hubs that dated back to the time when NYC used to make goods. That does not represent the majority of Queens. Queens' economy by and large has held stable for more than a century. Of course, having 2 international airports and the business they generated helped tremendously. The rest has to do with the country being a hotbed for cash producing entrepreneurs who were once Dutch, then Italian, then Jewish and now Asian. They are there living in Bayside, Auburndale, College Point, Douglaston and Glen Oaks. There was hardly a point in time when large portions of the county fell to the doldroms. The block busting that went on in Brooklyn did not happen in Queens so the whole gentrification dynamic won't play out as it did elsewhere. Maybe Jamaica but that doesn't apply to most of the country.

As a rule of thumb - you can only gentrify something that is blighted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City