Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 09:18 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times

Advertisements

20% (healthcare + pension costs) of the budget goes to approx 5% of NYC's workforce (300k active workers + retirees).

Bloomberg didn't play politics (he didn't have to because of his wealth) but the future Mayor most likely will. To be honest, I don't see how NYC's economy gets better under the Democrat candidates (lets face it a Democrat will win). They're self serving politicians and will play the usual card of handing over concessions to get votes. None of them have 100MM to win an election without giving the public unions what they want. Impossible.

Bloomberg was many things but he wasn't a political hack. As a businessman, he knew the numbers that could make or break the city.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...erg-warns.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2013, 09:47 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,706,007 times
bah that's crazy talk. After all, what could go wrong???

Old 08-07-2013, 12:23 AM

379 posts, read 517,374 times
That image above is enough for me to put a "For Sale" sign on my lawn, pack the moving van, and head SOUTH. I'm not kidding. She is a very unstable person who has a lot of political skeletons in her closet. God help the city if she wins. Hopefully the business and real estate interests cut the legs out from under her. Out of all of the candidates running she and Diblasio are the most dangerous. Voters beware with this one.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:55 AM

620 posts, read 1,072,457 times
Quin qill be NYC next mayor... Not that she is great.. I think that she is the best out of the choices . Im just happy Nanny bloomblerg will be out !

Old 08-07-2013, 01:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomitillo26 View Post
That image above is enough for me to put a "For Sale" sign on my lawn, pack the moving van, and head SOUTH. I'm not kidding. She is a very unstable person who has a lot of political skeletons in her closet. God help the city if she wins. Hopefully the business and real estate interests cut the legs out from under her. Out of all of the candidates running she and Diblasio are the most dangerous. Voters beware with this one.
They won't be able to. Quinn's power base is the women and lgbt organizations backing her. Quinn, in order to appease them had no choice but to sign on the Sick Leave Bill and the Living Wage for City contractors bill.

So they will hold enormous power in her administration, as the city's first woman and gay mayor cannot have the women's rights groups and lbgt groups coming out after her. Especially since she's young enough to have a political future beyond being NYC's mayor.

Old 08-07-2013, 01:40 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Yes, the city will have a Democratic mayor as two decades of Republican control are finally broken and the Giuliani/Bloomberg era comes to an end.

Part of this is demographic change. Giuliani won by appealing to old school white ethnic voters, particularly Irish, Italian, and Jewish. But with the big demographic changes (lots of non white immigrants and lots of hipster whites) its no longer possible to win by appealing to that base, which has shrank enormously in the city.

So a Democrat will win. Notice none of the Republican candidates even get any press.

Old 08-07-2013, 04:53 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Its about time a Democrat wins. All these long years of tyrant regime.

Last edited by Northwindsforever; 08-07-2013 at 05:08 AM..

Old 08-07-2013, 05:12 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,245,672 times
Nothing wrong with Quinn. But she needs to lose weight.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM

6,192 posts, read 7,350,616 times
Bloomberg actually said he left his successor in a good position because all unions will be eager and practically begging to make a deal. That doesn't mean they're going to be okay with no COL wage increases and going to let the ball roll in the successor's favor. I really think this has been a huge negative in Bloomberg's years as Mayor. I honestly can't stand listening to him because he is always right, he never admits to any wrong or any mistakes and he's so condescending when he speaks. If it's not 100% his way, then he whines about it on his radio show and everyone else is "stupid."

I would like to know where the candidates stand on this issue. The way Bloomberg talks about city employees you would think they don't pay into retirement at all, that they have no co-pays, don't pay union dues and that every employee is grossly overpaid. I think the right person will be able to negotiate an increase in pension and health care contributions but only if they are willing to also increase the salaries to coincide with increases in COL.

Old 08-07-2013, 07:36 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
well at least some of the candidates would buy some
time instead of just buying another four years of fear
like bloompig.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City