Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 03:52 PM

108 posts, read 284,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city living View Post
From what I read, the law applies if your building is greater than six stories or your building is six stories over a basement.

Yes, or if the facade is greater than six stories, which could also include a building shorter than six stories with a large parapet wall. There are often disagreements between management, architects and the DOB over particular buildings.
As I said originally, ask the manager to produce the report; if there is no report, they don't need to comply with LL11.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 06:04 PM

33,394 posts, read 46,819,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
Yes, or if the facade is greater than six stories, which could also include a building shorter than six stories with a large parapet wall. There are often disagreements between management, architects and the DOB over particular buildings.
As I said originally, ask the manager to produce the report; if there is no report, they don't need to comply with LL11.
I went back and read the Local Law myself. It has nothing to do with installation of air conditioner brackets. LL 11/98 states that buildings over 6 stories in height must have a periodic facade inspection done, it's called a cycle. Since the law went into effect, they are on Cycle 7 now, depending on the block and lot of where the building is. Read the local low for yourselves.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/download...98_package.pdf

I also took this quote from another website:

"Given the number of air conditioners in a multistory building and the problems that ensue (including gaining access to apartments, and the fact that air-conditioner installations aren't permanent and may change from year to year), it is impractical if not impossible for the engineer or architect conducting a Local Law 11/98 inspection to check every window-mounted unit. One protocol is to have him or her inspect at least one securely installed window a/c (which must conform to the guidelines above) that building management has established to be a standard for the building. When signing the inspection report, management is asked to confirm that all other air conditioner installations meet or exceed that standard."

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-08-2013, 06:19 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reelbiggecko View Post
Hi guys,

My building administrator slipped a notice under our door today citing Local Law 11 in mandating that my roommate and I install brackets for our window AC units. I have lived in this building for over five years without brackets for my AC, but they are suddenly saying we must pay to have this work done, pay the super $75 per unit to do it, or be subject to a $500 fine.

There is nothing in my lease that references this, and to my knowledge (read: quick internet research), Local Law 11 only mandates brackets for ACs in buildings six stories or higher. My building is five stories tall, and I'd estimate about 75% of the AC units installed do NOT currently have brackets (I noticed similar notices under the doors of most tenants on my walk up the staircase this afternoon).

If I were staying here for a long time I wouldn't consider this too much of an issue, but I plan on moving out when my lease expires eight months from now. So I certainly do not want to pay $75 for a service that I don't want, when I'm sure they'll charge me again to remove the brackets eight months from now.

Does anyone have any experience with this matter? I'm really not quite sure what to do.
Is there a deadline for the $500 fine? If not, or if it's sometime in September, keep the a/c as is for 4 more weeks til the summer weather passes. Then take it out of the window and store it in the apartment. By the time your lease expires at the end of March, it won't be warm enough again to need it.

They can't fine you for having no brackets if there's no a/c in the window.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,236,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Our co-op is charging $20 to buy and install brackets for window units but I have through the wall. Our handymen do the installs.
I cannot understand why some have the sleeve through the wall and still use a window unit? But people can be goofy.
Because people are cheap. There are fewer options for through the wall units so they cost a lot more.

Old 08-12-2013, 08:43 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,853,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpsonDowns View Post
Because people are cheap. There are fewer options for through the wall units so they cost a lot more.

That indeed they do. Seems almost double the price for a comparable window deal.

I bought a 12K Fedders online (Venting Direct) in April (low demand) for $399 (free shipping.) By May they had bumped the price to $499 and no free shipping, and by June they were sold out.
At PC Richards the through the wall units are even much more than that starting in the $600's.
It really is a joy to be able to use all my windows and I just hope the unit gives me a long life. Of course I installed it myself.
Only hard thing was making sure the unit fit the sleeve.

I checked my neighbors...seems that fewer than 10% of the window units have guards installed.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:28 AM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
I bought 2 a/c brackets myself in HD, I installed them myself.

When I take the a/c out for the winter, I remove them, and put them back the following year.

all it takes is a screwdriver, surely any man can do it. duh, it isn't brain surgery.

My LL has not requested them, but to me it made putting my a/c's in the windows easier for me.

Old 08-05-2019, 11:38 AM

1 posts, read 3,714 times
Do ac require brackets if it’s on the first floor and it’s not directly over the sidewalk??

Old 08-05-2019, 01:38 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,022,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andygw View Post
Do ac require brackets if it’s on the first floor and it’s not directly over the sidewalk??
I'm not sure what the law says exactly but in my coop building there were no exceptions. Some of our windows face the back of the building and the side, and I didn't hear any exceptions for first floor/back, etc.

Coops could be different than rentals because as a corporation we have to protect ourselves from lawsuits. So our rules might be more stringent than rentals.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:35 PM

31,633 posts, read 26,478,552 times
Quote:
Our co-op is charging $20 to buy and install brackets for window units but I have through the wall. Our handymen do the installs.
I cannot understand why some have the sleeve through the wall and still use a window unit? But people can be goofy.

Friend in Queens just paid $200 to have 2 units secured. Her super is paying himself well.
As mentioned thru wall AC's are expensive, and if a tenant needs theirs replaced LL is going to raise their rent to cover cost of new. That is unless he can find a second hand unit lying around.

OTOH you can pick up a cheap Frigidaire or other Chinese made piece of garbage for cheap anywhere. Heck one year even Rite Aid had them on sale. Those units will get people through one, two or maybe more NYC summers depending upon how heavy they are used. So rather than deal with a LL and rent increase, that is the way most will go.

Our building has AC sleeves and forbids installation of window units.

Old 08-05-2019, 05:38 PM

31,633 posts, read 26,478,552 times
Quote:
That indeed they do. Seems almost double the price for a comparable window deal.

I bought a 12K Fedders online (Venting Direct) in April (low demand) for $399 (free shipping.) By May they had bumped the price to $499 and no free shipping, and by June they were sold out.
At PC Richards the through the wall units are even much more than that starting in the $600's.
It really is a joy to be able to use all my windows and I just hope the unit gives me a long life. Of course I installed it myself.
Only hard thing was making sure the unit fit the sleeve.

I checked my neighbors...seems that fewer than 10% of the window units have guards installed.
Wall ACs not only are more complicated to build/design, they don't command a very large share of market. So as with other odd appliances such as 18" dishwashers, portable dishwashers of any size, etc... the things cost more to make up for their limited market. It seems stupid, but that is how appliance makers roll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City