Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 04:32 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Three Jolly pigeons is somewhat of a $hit hole. It's grimy, seedy and is in the outskirts of Bay Ridge close to Sunset Park. There is a little triangle sitting area on the street just a block away from this bar that vagrants hang out at night sometimes. I don't recommend this bar. There are so many better places than this.

There are a plethora or bars in Bay Ridge. I recommend that you get off at Bay Ridge Ave stop on the R train and walk down to 3rd Ave and check out all the bars up to the 90's.
Here are a few I recommend:
Yellow Hook Grille
Salty Dog (great for football and any other time except for Friday & Saturday nights)
Long Bow
Pour house
I believe they opened a butcher bar on 75th and 3rd, just next to Frankie and Eddy's deli
Kettle black

Gotta laugh at calling 3JP a dump. If you think that's a dump, I'm not sure if you've ever been to seedy bars. Compared to other places in the area, it definitely lacks the d-bags. But you're right, it's not as "nice" as some of the other places. I would avoid Salty Dog like the plague --- especially if you're not really into that meathead sausagefest scene. They just opened up a new bar I want to check out called Bench that is very sports-centric.

I enjoy the selection at Long Bow but not the price. Whenever I go there, I end up spending way too much money. Yellow Hook is nice because it has a big outdoor seating area.

The Butcher Bar is now open. They recently started serving alcohol but I don't think they have a real selection. I'm hoping to stop in there sometime soon to check it out.

BTW-There is an adorable wine bar called The Owl's Head right off of 5th and 74th. It's easy to miss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 05:23 PM

273 posts, read 672,818 times
I am not an expert on Bay Ridge but have done some walking and exploring around the area. Here are a few ideas:

Drunk Golf or Sober Cosmic Golf at night day -glo balls, flags and clubs - Dyker Heights Golf Club (OK really at the Bay Ridge Dyker Heights border) great little restaurant and the grounds are nice. Cosmic Golf Blasts Off in Brooklyn - Bay Ridge - DNAinfo.com New York

The doctor's row brownstones off Bay Ridge Parkway - take the train to 77th Street on the R. Some wonderful architecture pops up along 4th Ave where the underground train runs, from north of there to just south of 86th Street.

Yes, 86th down to the 90's has shopping and Century 21.

As for other arteries of clubs, bars and restaurants I was told 3rd Ave in the 70's to 90's have quite a few worth checking. Unfortunately I am still exploring this rich neighborhood. Honestly I think that except for a dull patch here and there (usually when 4th crosses a highway) you'll find plenty to look at and some nice slices of an older New York.

Finally Forgotten NY organization is doing a walking tour of Bay Ridge , it is free and you just have to check the website to see updates if the tour is on - An alternative view of New York |*Forgotten New York. If you like the tour donate to the organization as they along with the Municipal Arts Society have contributed much to making the community and politicians aware of the treasures of NYC.

PS. For the poster who recommended Butcher Bar I wonder if it is the same people who have a Butcher Bar in Astoria which has been getting tons of raves - http://butcherbar.com/our-mission/

I do agree that the Bay Ridge/ Sunset Park border though fairly safe is not attractive - the buildings are not in as good condition though again you'll see a nice building here and there. When I was in the upper 50around 4th it reminded me of much quieter , less crowded and more residential Washington Heights in the 160's. I find as you go to 5th and 6th Ave Sunset Park gets much nicer.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM

518 posts, read 825,880 times
Three Jolly Pigeons might not be pretty but it is probably the only bar left on 3rd avenue of the old Bay Ridge, when it wasn't cool and just a good place to live. Another left over from that era is Kelly's, between 93rd & 94th with entrances on both 4th & 5th avenues not because it is a huge place but due to those avenues intersecting near there.
Three Jolly Pigeons dates back to the sixties. Kelly's goes back to the dirty thirties. Neither would be a date bar but I do find them interesting artifacts.

Old 08-10-2013, 05:17 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,689,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxi guy View Post
Three Jolly Pigeons might not be pretty but it is probably the only bar left on 3rd avenue of the old Bay Ridge, when it wasn't cool and just a good place to live. Another left over from that era is Kelly's, between 93rd & 94th with entrances on both 4th & 5th avenues not because it is a huge place but due to those avenues intersecting near there.
Three Jolly Pigeons dates back to the sixties. Kelly's goes back to the dirty thirties. Neither would be a date bar but I do find them interesting artifacts.
Underrated post! If you travel in Williamsburg or near downtown Brooklyn you will find what appear to be OLD watering holes. But they are made to look like that to get some cool hip vibe. 3 JP's is a laid back great place. Where you will find native New Yorkers mingling. I also was once in the Bally Bunion which looked to be a old spot. To the OP Pippins on 3rd ave in the 90's is a good local Bay Ridge spot.

Old 08-10-2013, 06:54 PM

16,352 posts, read 8,095,474 times
I see there's an Irish joint called the Harp on 3rd Ave. at about 77th. Anyone familiar with this? The streetview shows a place called Mooney's Pub at this location. Did the Harp replace Mooney's?

Old 08-10-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood Boy View Post
Underrated post! If you travel in Williamsburg or near downtown Brooklyn you will find what appear to be OLD watering holes. But they are made to look like that to get some cool hip vibe. 3 JP's is a laid back great place. Where you will find native New Yorkers mingling. I also was once in the Bally Bunion which looked to be a old spot. To the OP Pippins on 3rd ave in the 90's is a good local Bay Ridge spot.
Bally Bunion folded. It was a nice place for I'm not sure how long and was taken over by The Wicked Monk which has very similar Irish/American food menu. Haven't been in yet to check out the shepherds pie.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM

[quote=r small;30905068]I see there's an Irish joint called the Harp on 3rd Ave. at about 77th. Anyone familiar with this? The streetview shows a place called Mooney's Pub at this location. Did the Harp replace Mooney's?[/quote

Yes, last year I think. Some locations change hands & names often on 3rd avenue. Google should send that special camera car or whatever it is down 3rd at least once a year.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:44 PM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times
I actually ended up going to the pier on Friday or Saturday night when the sun was already down. It was busy, but it wasn't ridiculously crowded. I hope if I take this girl there on Wednesday, it won't be too deserted.

The thing that caught my interest was that there is fishing. From the 20 minutes I was there though, it seems no one in the boardwalk area caught anything. In the bike path area I saw 1 guy with 1 small fish. I also saw what looked like one fisherman with a big horseshoe crab. I wouldn't actually eat the fish myself (i.e., I'd either give the fish to the other fisherman that are already there, or leave it somewhere where cats frequent.), but I'd give it a decent amount of time there if there is a chance to catch something.

Any of you guys fish there?

Also, it was kind of a far walk from 4th Avenue to get to the pier (and as far as views go, it really wasn't that good).

What is a good food and drinks place close to the pier (like after 3rd Avenue)?

Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Mero_Mero View Post
I actually ended up going to the pier on Friday or Saturday night when the sun was already down. It was busy, but it wasn't ridiculously crowded. I hope if I take this girl there on Wednesday, it won't be too deserted.

The thing that caught my interest was that there is fishing. From the 20 minutes I was there though, it seems no one in the boardwalk area caught anything. In the bike path area I saw 1 guy with 1 small fish. I also saw what looked like one fisherman with a big horseshoe crab. I wouldn't actually eat the fish myself (i.e., I'd either give the fish to the other fisherman that are already there, or leave it somewhere where cats frequent.), but I'd give it a decent amount of time there if there is a chance to catch something.

Any of you guys fish there?

Also, it was kind of a far walk from 4th Avenue to get to the pier (and as far as views go, it really wasn't that good).

What is a good food and drinks place close to the pier (like after 3rd Avenue)?

The pier/boardwalk is never really deserted unless it's really late. It is a very popular fishing area (the pier and if you continue walking, the rest of the promenade) so you will always see people. I've seen people catch bigger fish down there but it depends on the day, obviously.

People have given you a lot of ideas for food and drinks in the area. Obviously everything is going to be a bit of a walk from the pier. As already mentioned:
-Long Bow
-Yellow Hook
-Butcher Bar

Also:
-Los Pollitos
-The Burger Bistro (Very popular but now I find it to be overrated crap.)
-ETC because there is a lot to choose from on the avenue. I would just look around on Yelp since I have no idea what you're willing to pay or what kind of food you're looking for.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 AM

316 posts, read 1,016,585 times
Thanks for the reassurance that it may just be worthwhile to go fishing down there.

As for the food, I will seek out something a little closer to the pier if possible. We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City