Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 01:07 AM

13 posts, read 19,157 times

Advertisements

"Why do people still live in Staten Island?" asks the OP.
The OP is convinced he knows Staten Island well enough to make a judgment.
If he really did, he'd know no one who lives here would say they live "in Staten Island".
Rather, they would correctly state they live "on Staten Island.

The title of the thread is proof enough the OP doesn't know Staten Island.
It's a give away the entire rant is based on ignorance and makes all his so called "points" come off bad.

Last edited by beaglemaster; 11-16-2013 at 01:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 09:43 PM

588 posts, read 947,661 times
While I like it better than the other boroughs, SI has basically become an extension of Brooklyn. Bad traffic and lots of wiseguys/wannabees with fake ghetto kids.

Old 11-16-2013, 09:59 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,989,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proroc View Post
While I like it better than the other boroughs, SI has basically become an extension of Brooklyn. Bad traffic and lots of wiseguys/wannabees with fake ghetto kids.
True, so true. Hate to see what has become of Staten Island. However in two weeks will get to see things first hand on Thanksgiving! *LOL*

All those fake Italian-wannabees are Albanians, Russians and other Southeastern/Eastern Europeans that wouldn't know a made man if he stood in front of them.

It is really easy to act like a big shot when you are living in your parent's basement with no job but yet have a new late model Mercedes, BMW or Nissian Altima.

Old 12-07-2014, 02:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,333 times
Default Toxic Waste Dump

I have no desire whatsoever to ever live in Staten Island. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Staten Island, which I like to refer to as "Italian Island," is a toxic waste dump contaminated with all kinds of poisonous gases from the landfill. When I was a kid, the only people who lived in Staten Island were the ones who couldn't afford Brooklyn, so most were Brooklyn transplants even back then. It is the least diverse part of all NYC, and really should just fight for their independence from the rest of the city because they are so far removed. Actually, it looks so much like Jersey that they should just take it over from NY. The people there are very prejudice and lack diversity and only want people of Italian/Irish descent in their neighborhoods. I find it highly undesirable. There are much nicer places to live. I'd go to Yonkers first.

Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Nobody outside of the boro wants to visit you and pay that awful expensive bridge toll of $13.
You'd pay the same amount if you went from Queens to the Bronx everyday, but you only pay half each way, as opposed to the full amount one way, so it's more of a psychological issue than anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Remember 30 years ago they said the toll would be gone after 15 years now it just keeps going up.
Everybody keeps saying this, but of the papers (NYTimes maybe?) has done extensive research and cannot find any record of such a claim ever existing.

edit: ugh another year + old thread raised from death that I comment on without looking at the last posting dates....

Old 12-07-2014, 08:02 PM

749 posts, read 921,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
People don't have much of a say where they are born and raised.
Most people are stuck where they are really until they can do better
or move elsewhere. This world is not some type of fantasy or
paradise out here for most of us.

This is not the case for Staten Islanders: THEY WANT TO LIVE HERE.......of all the five NYC boroughs, this one is the best.....it is people that cannot afford a house here who complain about it.......most people are happy here......I wish the bridge would go to $30, round trip, to keep the undesirables from coming here.....

Old 12-07-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dm84 View Post
Almost every toll in NJ can be avoided if you don't mind a longer trip. People who live on Staten Island can't avoid paying tolls unless they never drive off of the island.

YOU ARE WRONG!!!! We can take the FERRY for FREE to Manhattan, and all the other boroughs.....

Old 12-07-2014, 08:27 PM

274 posts, read 298,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole00 View Post
I have no desire whatsoever to ever live in Staten Island. I was born and raised in Brooklyn, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two. Staten Island, which I like to refer to as "Italian Island," is a toxic waste dump contaminated with all kinds of poisonous gases from the landfill. When I was a kid, the only people who lived in Staten Island were the ones who couldn't afford Brooklyn, so most were Brooklyn transplants even back then. It is the least diverse part of all NYC, and really should just fight for their independence from the rest of the city because they are so far removed. Actually, it looks so much like Jersey that they should just take it over from NY. The people there are very prejudice and lack diversity and only want people of Italian/Irish descent in their neighborhoods. I find it highly undesirable. There are much nicer places to live. I'd go to Yonkers first.
I have come to the conclusion that this word "diversity" is just another racist term to mean "a place without White people."

How come non of you see your own hypocrisy?

Old 12-07-2014, 08:51 PM

19,051 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xTiberiusx View Post
I have come to the conclusion that this word "diversity" is just another racist term to mean "a place without White people."

How come non of you see your own hypocrisy?
Agreed. Keep your diversity, I'll keep my well-maintain block with zero undesireables roaming around.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole00 View Post
SO, so sad that you are so racist. Staten Island has people from all blocks of life. We have plenty of diversity. Obviously, you know very little about Staten Island.....You must be a friend of Al Sharpton.... or have been listening to his racist rhetoric way too much.....which is detrimental to his followers with their thug mentality......thus keeping them down, while he profits from them......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City