Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 06:01 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,968,682 times

Advertisements

It's funny cause , as a lifelong islander, I always ask myself. Why would anyone want to live in Brooklyn manhattan the Bronx or queens. The simple answer is always, different strokes for different folks. I love it here, I live on a nice quiet tree lined block , across the street from a beautiful park, quick access to 440 as well as richmond parkway, I have a spacious 1 bedroom with all brand new appliances, tile work, granite etc. Crime is very low here (I hear all the stories about the drug epidemic here, but to be honest I don't see it happening in my direct area). And my rent is less than 1,000 a month. Sure I have a 40 min commute to midtown, but with my ez pass discount I pay less than an express bus per day. Still lots of close knit communities here, families are tight. It's very clean, no overflowing litter baskets on my street corner and garbage blowing around the streets.

Unless I was a single 20 something who wanted to spend almost all of my new paycheck fresh outta college, just to live in an area with overpriced nightlife. I don't see why anyone would want to live in manhattan or Brooklyn etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:30 PM

274 posts, read 297,858 times
I work with people from Long Island and they tell me the royal PITA commute they have each day.

Nice place to visit, but no thanks for living.

Old 12-09-2014, 03:28 PM

749 posts, read 920,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
You can take the FERRY for free because they can't extend the Subways to SI. I much rather have access to PATH or Subway than the Ferry.

All SI folks that I know have to deal with the Ferry and Subway. Not to mention quite a few people have died horribly to 2 Ferry crashes which were completely avoidable.
We have LOTS of EXPRESS buses that are pretty much on time, because I ride them often, AND they take you to Manhattan, and Brooklyn, plus, we have a railroad that takes you to the FERRY, and myriad of LOCAL buses.....

We DO NOT want an extention to the subways, even if it could be done..........we will VOTE against it........

Old 12-09-2014, 04:01 PM

346 posts, read 383,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hittheroadjack View Post
We have LOTS of EXPRESS buses that are pretty much on time, because I ride them often, AND they take you to Manhattan, and Brooklyn, plus, we have a railroad that takes you to the FERRY, and myriad of LOCAL buses.....

We DO NOT want an extention to the subways, even if it could be done..........we will VOTE against it........
Many people agree with you myself included.

Old 12-09-2014, 04:10 PM

897 posts, read 1,252,457 times
We lived there because we got tired of living in ****ty ass buildings that smelled like Borscht

We wanted a house, some space for the dogs, and a yard. We lived in South Beach for 2 years after Brooklyn and had a yard, some greenery, and some quiet for a reasonable price. The commute was a pain at times, but I ended up shelling out extra for the express bus. If you can afford the express buses its actually doable and reasonable.

Lots of cupcakes (sheltered kids that think they are badass but haven't had to deal with real thugs) in Staten Island, and lots of losers and druggies. But that's living in a big city for you I suppose.

We obviously live in Denver now and love it, but SI is reasonable for people who can deal with the commute and want a little space. Just make sure your commute avoids the SI Expressway AT ALL COSTS!

Old 12-09-2014, 06:01 PM

274 posts, read 297,858 times
My buddy lives in a nice area of the Bronx. And he will tell you, It is still clean and safe because the subway DOES NOT run in that area if the Bronx. Coincidence?

Old 02-06-2018, 06:43 PM

17 posts, read 19,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Here's my take of Staten Island.

It's small, expensive, boring, and now it's susceptible to flooding in the south shores. The traffic can get ridiculous in and out of the boro and expensive.

Nobody outside of the boro wants to visit you and pay that awful expensive bridge toll of $13. Remember 30 years ago they said the toll would be gone after 15 years now it just keeps going up.

There are some really nice areas but small and limited to the wealthy and it's really not impressive when you can live in a mini mansion just across the Goethals in NJ for less.

Some parts of SI used to be dumping grounds that I would never live because toxins in the ground could be a health concern.

A co-worker of mine lost his house in the Sandy storm last year, the insurance company screwed him because it was not declared a hurricane and FEMA cut him only a $4000 check and the city says get in line if you need help we can give you counseling on how to get help.
Agreed. Racism and homophobia are also rampant.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:20 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2700 View Post
Rampant compared to what?

Staten Island is more diverse than most of the US. Being conservative-leaning doesn’t mean that it’s fundamentalist bible belt christians. A Staten Island conservative is more often libertarian than the image of deep south conservatism than anything (they even have a lot of Catholics and swarthy southern Europeans, gasp!) and that doesn’t have to come with racism and homophobia.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:17 PM

300 posts, read 238,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus2700 View Post
Racism and Homophobia are rampant everywhere........if you think all these new laws are going to change anything, think again: People will still hold on to their beliefs, until they die.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,395,265 times
I don’t understand why Staten Island/Far Rock/Coney Island are expensive!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City