Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 08:04 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,486 times

Advertisements

As a Londoner who lives in Paris, I'm also quite interested in New York's society and demographics, and how it compares to these other two cities.

So while both London and Paris are big immigrant cities nowadays - London at least rivalling NYC for sheer diversity and as a percentage of its population from immigrant backgrounds - both Paris and London have a big population of traditional, white working class communities of old French and British descent. Cockneys in London, Parigots in Paris. There's a typical accent, culture etc associated with both.

I was wondering if New York had anything similar, i.e. working class people of old stock white American heritage (i.e. not of Italian, Jewish or Irish backgrounds) who were still prevalent in the city, and aren't recent transplants from other parts of the U.S.

If so, what's typical about them? What neighbourhoods do they inhabit?

Or would the Irish/Jewish real "Noo Yawker" be considered the ultimate real New Yorker... analagous to the Cockneys and Parigots across the Atlantic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2013, 08:14 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
If ruling out Irish, Italians or Jews, likely would be of German descent. At least for the area I am from.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:35 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post

I was wondering if New York had anything similar, i.e. working class people of old stock white American heritage (i.e. not of Italian, Jewish or Irish backgrounds) who were still prevalent in the city, and aren't recent transplants from other parts of the U.S.

If so, what's typical about them? What neighbourhoods do they inhabit?

Or would the Irish/Jewish real "Noo Yawker" be considered the ultimate real New Yorker... analagous to the Cockneys and Parigots across the Atlantic?
I think so, the Italian/Jewish/Irish "Noo Yawker" would be considered the closest to old-time natives. You can find a few of old Dutch stock:

C. Everett Koop - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Definitely not working class, though. But there's a bit of a class division. Generally in the early 20th century in big cities, the natives were usually not working-class, while the immigrants were disproportionately working-class (division was particularly strong in New England). I read somewhere that in 1960 (pre-recent demographic changes) 5% of the city's population was old-stock White Protestant.

Growing up on Long Island, I can't think of anything you're describing. City would be less likely

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Check Florida for old stock new yorkers.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:41 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
If you mean WASP/Dutch old money, you can find them on the East Side, but there are not many left. That social class is pretty dissipated. The distinctive accent would be like FDR's accent, but again, it's mostly disappeared.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 AM

326 posts, read 1,040,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
If you mean WASP/Dutch old money, you can find them on the East Side, but there are not many left. That social class is pretty dissipated. The distinctive accent would be like FDR's accent, but again, it's mostly disappeared.
I don't mean money, I mean working class Americans of early settler descent.

But thanks for the answers though, it seems that the Irish/Jewish/Italian New Yorker is the real old school New Yorker!

Old 08-09-2013, 09:01 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,616,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinparis View Post
I don't mean money, I mean working class Americans of early settler descent.

But thanks for the answers though, it seems that the Irish/Jewish/Italian New Yorker is the real old school New Yorker!
Oh, sorry, I misread.

I think what G-Dale said is right--it's Germans.

In the part of the country where I grew up, the upper Midwest, many, perhaps most, working class people are of German descent. I think Germans were among the first waves of working-class immigrants to America.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:07 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
Oh, sorry, I misread.

I think what G-Dale said is right--it's Germans.

In the part of the country where I grew up, the upper Midwest, many, perhaps most, working class people are of German descent. I think Germans were among the first waves of working-class immigrants to America.
My block was built by Germans for Germans over 100 years ago, and some of their ancestors still reside in these same homes. They spread from Williamsburg to Bushwick to Ridgewood to Glendale. Most are now in either Long Island or South Florida, but a few still remain.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:13 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Though those Germans weren't early settlers, either, anymore than the Irish are. But few New Yorkers are descended from early settlers. There weren't enough of them compared to the immigrants that came later.

And 100 years, those in traditional "working-class" jobs in NYC and in many northern cities were almost all recent immigrants. New England mills had few if any "natives" working by the late 19th century. A sign in front of an abandoned textile mill near me said the workers were mostly Polish or French Canadian. By now, though their descendants have mixed with the natives enough it's often hard to distinguish them. In NYC, some ethnic groups lean towards different industries. The garment industry, for example, was mostly eastern European Jewish. Construction trades I think tended to be Italian.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:20 AM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
ny was already settled by the dutch when
it was annexed by the british in 1664.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City