Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 02:18 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
You're being disingenuous, and you know it.
You claimed Sweden has greater income disparity than the U.S. but even your own source shows otherwise.
And again -- the issue is wealth, NOT income, disparity. I explained to you once, you said "gotcha", but now you go off the rails again.

Rather than asking me for info, why don't you do the work yourself? If you'd rather change the subject to 5% or 1%, go ahead, turn this into a OWS propaganda thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 02:26 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,905,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
And again -- the issue is wealth, NOT income, disparity. I explained to you once, you said "gotcha", but now you go off the rails again.

Rather than asking me for info, why don't you do the work yourself? If you'd rather change the subject to 5% or 1%, go ahead, turn this into a OWS propaganda thread.

Quote:
Nice way to deflect..

From your own source:

Swden top 5% controls 55%
US top 5% controls 60.4%

Swden top 1% controls 29%
US top 1% controls 33.8%

You claimed Sweden had greater wealth disparity than the U.S.

You were wrong. Just accept it and move on.
I did.

And you are still wrong.

Last edited by likeminas; 08-11-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I did.
You edited yourself. Good for you.

Quote:
And you are still wrong.
If it makes you feel better, suit yourself. I am thinking about this -- why do most of the stats I have seen through the years from UN and OECD talk about 10%? Which was the point Skyteam was making. Why 10%? I do see 1% sometimes, but mostly they seem to be underlining a political theme. Maybe, given low voting turnout, maybe the top 10% have a relatively high turnout and thus swings elections? Tax policy? Maybe someone knows?

Besides envy, why does the 1% interest you?

Old 08-11-2013, 02:54 PM

Henry, just concede you were wrong. You believed Sweden, a country known for being egalitarian, had greater wealth disparity than the U.S
I presented you with a source which you thought was outdated but even your own source shows that you were incorrect.
Apparently you just can't bring yourself to admit you were mistaken.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:05 PM

No man. You don't listen very well, do you? The top 10% is the number to use if we want to have a civilized discussion. If you want to agitate the masses, go ahead, talk about the 1%.

You could ask me 2 million more times, I will give you the same answer, if I didn't hit the "ignore" button in the meantime.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM

We can't have a civilized discussion with you being stubbornly disingenuous.

It's patently idiotic to discuss wealth disparity without mentioning the big elephant in the room.

Btw; is credit suisse funding OWS or something?
Apparently they want to agitate the masses by mentioning the 5% & 1% in their report.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroia 34567 View Post

PS. I ask what you do for a living to understand better what economic perch you make some of your pronouncements.
This is not necessarily a good indicator of anything.

Example: I am an advocate of rent regulation, fundamentally for ethical reasons, upheld by experience and observation.

Many will say here - not in other venues, where my circumstances are basically known - Oh, you are benefitting/embittered/poor whatever. One poster even said something about "fear of gentrification," in spite of the fact that most of my posts indicate a position far from anti-gentrification.

In any case. In truth, rent regulation has never and will never impact me or my family. People are capable of having viewpoints and convictions that go beyond what impacts "ME."

Should I support tax breaks for the wealthy because it favors me ? Why not adopt an ethically-informed opinion ? More people do than you may realize.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:51 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
No man. You don't listen very well, do you? The top 10% is the number to use if we want to have a civilized discussion. If you want to agitate the masses, go ahead, talk about the 1%.

You could ask me 2 million more times, I will give you the same answer, if I didn't hit the "ignore" button in the meantime.
We should not ignore people with whom we do not agree.
No longer responding is an idea ...

Old 08-11-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
We can't have a civilized discussion with you being stubbornly disingenuous.

It's patently idiotic to discuss wealth disparity without mentioning the big elephant in the room.

Btw; is credit suisse funding OWS or something?
Apparently they want to agitate the masses by mentioning the 5% & 1% in their report.
Look at Page 83 of the same report. US has an Wealth Disparity GINI of 81%. Sweden's GINI is 85%. The higher GINI, the larger is the Wealth Disparity.

Read it again -- Sweden's GINI is higher than USA. It means Sweden's Wealth Disparity is higher than US.

GINIs are international standards used by OECD and UN of measuring the Wealth Disparity. Stubborn are the facts, they don't fit OWS narrative.

When are you going to provide some stats of your own, or will you keep leeching on mine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
We should not ignore people with whom we do not agree.
No longer responding is an idea ...
It is annoying when you reply once, but the debater keeps insisting, and you need to repeat the answer.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:50 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,041,315 times
For those that dislike the well off of NYC in recent years, I suggest you guys read or listen to columns from WNYC about Mayor Bloombergs New York

News: New York Remade: The Bloomberg Years - WNYC

Click to your right and listen to: Did Bloomberg make us richer!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City