Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 10:17 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times

Advertisements

But there will be the same policy anywhere you try to move since it is a nation-wide integration plan. You'll have to go rural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,294,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
But there will be the same policy anywhere you try to move since it is a nation-wide integration plan. You'll have to go rural.
We need our leaders to step up and stop this nonsense. Social inequality stems from people's OWN actions. If you want to live in a nice area you have to WORK like the rest of us. This hand out mentality is becoming sickening.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:36 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,242,990 times
"HUD estimates that compliance costs would range from $3 to $9 million each year."

I wonder how much it will cost states and local governments to manage this type of a program?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:02 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
Instead of FORCING integration on us, deal with the people creating the crime and problems and make them productive members of society and they'll take care of their own problems by working and so on. All this does is cause White flight. The day that Riverdale started having Section 8 and housing projects is the day I would immediately move elsewhere.
I would support them moving Section 8 people from Mott Haven to Riverdale just to make that happen, Grosvenor leaving Riverdale! Bye, bye, Miss American Pie, Took the Chevy to Levy but the Levy was drying, and good old boys, drinking whiskey and rye, singing "this will be the day I die".

Old 08-11-2013, 11:03 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,294,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I would support them moving Section 8 people from Mott Haven to Riverdale just to make that happen, Grosvenor leaving Riverdale! Bye, bye, Miss American Pie, Took the Chevy to Levy but the Levy was drying, and good old boys, drinking whiskey and rye, singing "this will be the day I die".
HA! The real question is when are you leaving the Bronx?

Old 08-11-2013, 11:05 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,552,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grosvenor View Post
We need our leaders to step up and stop this nonsense. Social inequality stems from people's OWN actions. If you want to live in a nice area you have to WORK like the rest of us. This hand out mentality is becoming sickening.
Til this day, I don't understand this elitist attitude towards lower income people as if they don't work. Newsflash: many of them do. Working hard is only one element of a lot of people's successes. There are other things that are necessary, especially today, in order to "make it".

Old 08-11-2013, 11:25 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,216,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What comprehensive programs do we have in New York?
NYCHA, for one. New York City is almost alone among American cities in having a large portion of its population living in public housing still. A few other cities retain some public housing, but not anywhere close to the scale of NYC.

There are other programs as well, like 80/20 and similar "affordable housing" programs that simply don't exist in other major cities/states. And rent control/regulation, which is not unique to NYC but unusual in NYC for the breadth of its impact. (Most other cities and states with rent regulation have maybe 10% of units regulated, or else the regulated rent is not any different from market rent.)

Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,805,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownstoneNY View Post
NYCHA, for one. New York City is almost alone among American cities in having a large portion of its population living in public housing still. A few other cities retain some public housing, but not anywhere close to the scale of NYC.

There are other programs as well, like 80/20 and similar "affordable housing" programs that simply don't exist in other major cities/states. And rent control/regulation, which is not unique to NYC but unusual in NYC for the breadth of its impact. (Most other cities and states with rent regulation have maybe 10% of units regulated, or else the regulated rent is not any different from market rent.)
I never thought NYCHA was an integration program. You could say that the 80/20s and the rent stabilization help big time with integration as they keep lots of low income people in Manhattan. But the NYCHA units segregate people in public housing, while the low income in 80/20s live in the same buildings as those who are wealthy. Ditto for the rent stabilized apartments.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:15 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,636,945 times
The tone of some of the comments here are from attitudes that really havent changed in the last 30-40 years! Very interesting!

While not commenting on the validity of the policy, one thing good policymakers do, is to find out why previous policies didn't work, and improve upon the next agenda! I am sure the policymakers have already looked at the failures mentioned in some of the comments on this thread! If they haven't, then one may conclude that the policy is a waste of money, and could be doomed to fail based on failure to learn from the mistakes!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:49 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,153,092 times
Actually nationally it's been shown that the mixed income strategy has worked. NYC has it's own quirks but I don't see why it would not be preferable to concentrating the poor in secluded areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City