Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2013, 02:48 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,087,599 times

Advertisements

What a mess of a situation.

You have people from the communities for it, some against it, from the outside (my view) it seems like it's a positive program if not abused. Officer to resident relations need to be looked at, be courteous on both sides, let some little things slide and just be concerned with major offenses (weapons and large quantities of drugs).

I think this is more of a issue regarding location and demeanor than skin color, but skin color is getting dragged into it as a byproduct. Dress and act like a schlub, risk getting treated like one. I think even if these cops a some white person driving in a bad neighborhood, looking like a mess, and interacting, they are going to get suspicious of them as well, the only problem is this likely doesn't happen that often to play into the statistics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 03:03 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
Pretty decent point of view write-up from a black detective:

http://.nydailynews.com/1.1427240
Well, if this was the case why did nearly 90% of the stops not result in any arrest or them finding anything?

Old 08-15-2013, 03:18 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
Well, if this was the case why did nearly 90% of the stops not result in any arrest or them finding anything?
How many black or latino kids walking around with a wide brim yankee hat or a pair of echo jean shorts? Hi officer I was robbed by 2 male blacks wearing echo jean shorts and a Yankee cap? At the end of the day 3 groups will suffer. 1. Mostly Black and Latino communities where most crime happens.
2. Hipster/Pioneer areas. The cool guy with the tight skinny jeans drinking the PBR in a area that a very short time ago was a haven for crime.
3. Realtors who have made a killing in Harlem and especially Brooklyn. Criminals know yo Po Po can't or won't wanna stop me. I'm gonna start carrying a gun. The cop in today's Daily News was a scary prediction. I'm not risking getting sued or ccrb complaint. It's not worth it. At the end of the day every other Thursday a paycheck comes with or without a stop.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:19 PM

2,894 posts, read 5,904,476 times
I wouldn't be surprised that out of 10% of arrests due to a SQF, 5% go like this.........

-cop 1 to cop 2: that guy over there walking with a hoodie seems suspicious.

-cop2: yea, let's see what he's up to.

-cops to guy wearing hoodie: excuse me. you match the description of a guy we're looking for. we gotta gonna pat you down to make sure you got nothing ilegal on your possesion.

-guy wearing hoodie: but officer I didn't do nothing.

-cops: don't worry, we're just checking. Now empty your pockets.

-guy wearing hoodie: but o.. cop 1 interrupts him mid-sentence: do it, or I'll do it.

-guy wearing hoddie: empties his pockets and dime baggy drops to the floor.

-cop 2: ohh what do we have here? alright, hands behind your back. you're under arrest for possesion of MJ in public view.

end result: guys gets a blemish on his record, cops rack up several hours in OT.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:49 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
I wouldn't be surprised that out of 10% of arrests due to a SQF, 5% go like this.........

-cops to guy wearing hoodie: excuse me. you match the description of a guy we're looking for. we gotta gonna pat you down to make sure you got nothing ilegal on your possesion.

-guy wearing hoodie: but o.. cop 1 interrupts him mid-sentence: do it, or I'll do it.

-cop 2: ohh what do we have here? alright, hands behind your back. you're under arrest for possesion of MJ in public view.

end result: guys gets a blemish on his record, cops rack up several hours in OT.

Marijuana should be 100% legalized and taxed. I've always maintained this. That would solve that problem. In fact, I think small amounts are only violations these days. I agree with you though.

That said, I don't feel that stop and frisk is as simple as people like to go on about. Is it not worth it to continue the policy if it saves one little toddler's life a year? I guarantee you that the parents of dead toddlers caught in cross fire will tell you it is. We need to focus on the culture that breeds this lifestyle. Only then will people not be "profiled".

Old 08-15-2013, 03:56 PM

2,228 posts, read 3,687,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post

How many boys are afraid to CARRY a gun because they know I may or may not get stopped? If your in a solid middle/upper middle class area you will be fine. Is there a chance of a Brian Watkins killing? Yes.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:21 PM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Interesting call to NY1 re: Stop n Frisk

Old 08-15-2013, 08:36 PM

19,031 posts, read 13,937,683 times
If that was serious, I'm even more happy I didn't grow up in a liberal environment. That was something else.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,398,173 times
They need to stop and frisk all you who agree with the policy.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:31 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROAM NYC View Post
At least she's honest... Still suspect she was being sarcastic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City