Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 02:13 PM

15 posts, read 16,150 times

Advertisements

Might ease the transition if you move to a low density neighborhood like Marine Park. Mostly one and two family homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:27 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
Sunset Park = fantastic schools. About as great as Cold Spring Harbor I heard, LOL!

Old 08-13-2013, 02:35 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...nset-park.html

Old 08-13-2013, 07:18 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
The year is 2013 and you are telling a woman where she cannot live. OP is not Little Red Riding Hood or from fairy tales. If she visits Sunset Park and decides to move to the area, there's nothing both of us can do to stop that. I recently saw Village Voice columnist Michael Musto riding his bike on 7th Avenue between 43rd and 44th Street. If that part of Sunset Park was safe for him to visit, OP can feel confident to visit it also. A lot of "transplants" from suburbs are moving into buildings around Sunset Park that have Central Americans, West Africans, East Indians, and Chinese-Americans (see 8th Avenue lately). I believe we live in a country where competent citizens do not tell people where they can or cannot live. You, sir, do not do your username any justice or respect.
Last time I read an X-men comic book, Nightcrawler was a god-fearing mutant with ability to teleport, not a narrow-minded bigot.

NO, I was not telling her to not move there. I was advising her. Sunset, to ,me, is ABSOLUTELY NOT the place for a woman with 2 kids from Long Island to live, especially if she knows zero about the hood.

I was born there, so I know the hood. (OLPH area) The side streets are fine as far as safety. The avenues suck. They are crappy and run down looking.

Please, she is better off in Park Slope or Bensonhurst or Bath Beach, Bay Ridge.

Sunset Park, no, sorry, I would never recommend that neighborhood to anyone. It isn't horrible, but it isn't desireable either. BTW, I work there and am there everyday, so I know the neighborhood, I feel completely safe.

I dont give a rats ass what you think of me. I am not sugar coating it. Sunset Park is a crappy neighborhood. It has been crappy since the early 70's when my family moved to Staten Island.

and also, just for shytts and giggles, check out the apartment buildings where the tenants still have the duck tape still stuck on the windows from hurricane sandy, and check out the way they tie the curtains in a knot, yeah, real classy. That already tells me their are low class people living there.

prime example 4th ave between 59th and 60th street. A whole row of 4 floor tenements and not one tenant keeps their windows looking nice. they look like a bunch of low class third world immigrants living there. google it and see

https://maps.google.com/ 5919 4th ave brooklyn ny 11209, classic example of sunset

*****sticks tongue out******

Last edited by nightcrawler; 08-13-2013 at 07:33 PM..

Old 08-13-2013, 07:22 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
No one is forcefully telling her where to live, they are advising her. And for a mom coming from Long Island Sunset Park is far from a pleasant place to move to. Just because you live there and feel safe there many others would not. I've had family and friends live there since the 80's. It was nasty then and it's only gotten a bit better. That area you mention 43rd and 44th St on 7th ave is a block away from where my cousins lived for most of their lives. I go back there once a year to check out the old neighborhood and believe me not much has changed.

Instead of having the OP venture out into this area we are saving her the trouble. So far all you have done is rambled on insulting others and anyone who disagrees with your assessment of Sunset park.

Thank you, I am glad you understood what I was trying to explain.

While Sunset isn't terrible, say for me, as I am used to it, but a mom with 2 children from LI, you gotta be kidding....not in a million years.....

exactly.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
How about Bensonhurst, Marine Park, Sheepshead Bay, Gravesend, Manhattan Beach or Mill Basin? These neighborhoods have more of a suburban feel to them. NYC middle schools and high schools have open admissions to a certain degree if you want a really good school, you're not limited to your "neighborhood" school.

I would review the NYC Department of Education website and read about the specialized high schools and other highly selective schools like Bard, Beacon, Townsend Harris, Hunter to get a better understanding of the admissions process.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:47 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernski View Post
The year is 2013 and you are telling a woman where she cannot live. OP is not Little Red Riding Hood or from fairy tales. If she visits Sunset Park and decides to move to the area, there's nothing both of us can do to stop that. I recently saw Village Voice columnist Michael Musto riding his bike on 7th Avenue between 43rd and 44th Street. If that part of Sunset Park was safe for him to visit, OP can feel confident to visit it also. A lot of "transplants" from suburbs are moving into buildings around Sunset Park that have Central Americans, West Africans, East Indians, and Chinese-Americans (see 8th Avenue lately). I believe we live in a country where competent citizens do not tell people where they can or cannot live. You, sir, do not do your username any justice or respect.
Last time I read an X-men comic book, Nightcrawler was a god-fearing mutant with ability to teleport, not a narrow-minded bigot.
Wow, I think a mirror is something you're missing.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:01 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,914,400 times
To the OP, don't listen to anyone who recommends Sunset Park to you. Trust me, that is far from the right neighborhood for you. Try Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Sheepshead Bay, or Marine Park. All offer a much better quality of life and are much safer.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:52 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,947 times
If you'd consider Queens, near the Brooklyn border, I also suggest Maspeth and Middle Village.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:04 PM

119 posts, read 207,016 times
Hey OP-- what is your budget? what qualities are imporant to you? how much space do you need? where do you work? you need to give us some details. ANY neighborhoodin Brooklyn will be different from Western Suffolk. Population density in the most "suburban" parts of Brooklyn are a lot higher than any place on Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City