Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 AM

55 posts, read 106,317 times

Advertisements

The 2003 Northeast Blackout, 10 Years Later (PHOTOS)?

What was your experience like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:04 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,063,208 times
Walked from Wall Street to East 72nd and West End Avenue to get a friends car and drive to Long Island.

Worst part was crossing the Avenues in the dark. Cars were not being particularly careful knowing people were on foot.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:07 AM

4,437 posts, read 7,670,391 times
Much more peaceful than '77!

Old 08-14-2013, 09:19 AM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,465 times
Walked from 42nd street 3rd avenue to the 3rd avenue bridge, once in the Bronx walked to 138th street and caught the Bx 21, and took it up to Pelham Parkway. It was so dark when I got off the bus I couldn't tell the difference between the sky and the ground, LoL. I used Jacobi Hospital as a guide, their generators where the only power on in the whole neighborhood..

Old 08-14-2013, 09:26 AM

56 posts, read 124,131 times
I walked down 65 flights of stairs in the Empire State Building, and then across the 59th Street Bridge and into Greenpoint.

Not the worst experience I've heard about. The guy who works in my local laundromat walked from Greenpoint to Sunsent Park, and discovered his house was on fire.

Old 08-14-2013, 09:28 AM

259 posts, read 368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 View Post
From the article linked above: No room for bikes on the Brooklyn Bridge here!

My parents (who are now deceased) told me about having to walk up (and down) two dozen flights of stairs to get to the apartment. Now that was the one thing that made me feel bad and annoyed about the blackout. They were elderly. Plus no electricity meant no running water in the building (i.e. no functioning water pump, and our complex doesn't have generators).

Old 08-14-2013, 11:21 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BORN IN BROOKLYN 1986 View Post
What was your experience like?
I was taking the elevator upstairs by myself to the 8th floor when all of a sudden it goes to the 4th floor to let someone on who inexplicably wanted to take the elevator UP (this never happens). The doors open and as she takes one step forward, the lights (and the city) go out.

Completely saved me from 24 hours of pain & discomfort - absolutely miracluous

Old 08-14-2013, 11:25 AM

34,018 posts, read 47,240,427 times
At the time I was working in Downtown Brooklyn, near the corner of Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue. The streetlight used to be out periodically on that corner so we thought it was no big deal. But soon people started coming outside of their first floor offices onto the street and started congregating, saying that the whole Northeast had no power. Me and my boy ran to the Bergen Street station on the F train and went downstairs. Pure darkness. Later on that evening, I drove from Downtown Brooklyn to Coney Island and stayed with an ex-girlfriend, she had power. The most unsettling image was the next morning when people were gathered in a huge crowd outside the ice house on Utica Avenue with money in their fists raised to the sky, because the proprietors were auctioning off their ice.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM

155 posts, read 585,618 times
I walked with a co-worker from the Wall St area up to the West Village. En-route we lucked into a deli that was serving cold(ish) drinks.

Once home I had to walk up 11 flights of stairs.

Post Sandy, our building will be getting a generator for essential services like water pumps, the boiler, common area lighting and a single elevator. The next blackout should be less surreal.

Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM

420 posts, read 697,709 times
Was in department store in Queens with a youth from my block in BK. He happened to be shopping for a beach towel. Soon as he picked one of those cheap towels with the $100 bill print, the lights went out -- the music stopped, the fans stopped spinning, dead silence. You could literally hear the question marks popping up over people's heads. Next thing I heard was the youth saying "yao.. I'm out". He was going to walk through the doors with the towel in hand. Made him drop the towel and we headed outside to see a bunch of elderly Puerto Ricans standing in front of domino table screaming about how they heard on the radio that Bin Laden attacked something again. We walked back to Bushwick, picking up water and flashlights along the way, while traffic was backed up in the streets with drivers pissed off, cursing Bin Laden out and challenging each other to fist fights.

When it started to get dark, about 30 heads from the block got together in my friend's yard.. old, young, black, white, rican... many of us had even looked at, much less spoken to each other before. We bought out the coolers and everyone pooled money to buy a grip of Chinese food. We ate, took pics , played cards and talked **** until about 3AM. Good thing for me was that there was this female that Roam never had the balls to approach that was in the yard with us, so I got to do my lil 'politicking'. That day was actually one of my best memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City