Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:30 PM

7,897 posts, read 7,815,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
A camera can't automatically screen out criminals, either. The projects are full of people who generationally haven't worked. That's the problem. So they will remain full of criminals because that's where people disproportionately on government programs live. No amount of cameras, fingerprinting, etc., can change that.
Nothing wrong with that. Then NYPD will know exactly whose behind these crimes, because of the cameras being implemented, next to word of mouth. NYCHA has done a p i s s pot bad job by allowing trouble residents who they know are behind crimes that occur in these buildings. After 1 warning notice when identified, they should kicked out depending on the extremity of the incident. Nothing is 100%. But the problem is, more oversight needs to occur. The fingerprinting is not the way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:11 PM

33,845 posts, read 47,045,194 times
See this is why I said in a previous thread that Bloomberg is out of touch. He doesnt know anything about how they get down in the projects. They'll either wedge a smushed up soda bottle in the door to keep it open, or the more savage way, bust open 1 of the window panes in the door so that way you can just reach through the opening and push the button to let yourself in. Fingerprints wont do a thing. The only thing it will do is cut down on the illegal replication of NYCHA building lock keys, but there's always a way around everything.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm surprised not all of them have it. A friend of mine, who is an ex-cop, used to be stationed in Astoria. I don't remember the name of the housing but it's close to the bridge and park. This is quite a few years back but I recall he and his partner monitored the cameras. I don't remember if it was one room with cameras for all the buildings or if each building had it's own monitoring room.
Thats called the VIPER program.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Back in the day, in Tompkins Houses (I'll only speak on the PJ I grew up in), we had tenant patrols. Folk were signed in. Our community/tenant leader was a take-no-prisoners woman who feared NO ONE!!!!!!! Any violations of community rules, and you were called out. Violations included, but no limited to, walking on the grass, biking along the paths, curtains outside of the windows and playing ball in front of the building stoop/canopy! Any repeats offenses were reported to the management office!
All projects used to be like that. I remember back when I took my 5 hour class, the driving instructor told us he used to chill in Redfern in the 1960s and you could drink beers outside all night long and the cops wouldn't even bother you cause they knew people were just honest working stiffs relaxing after a day of work. Try that now lol

Old 08-16-2013, 04:20 PM

7,844 posts, read 13,201,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Thats called the VIPER program.

Yep, that sounds familiar.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:30 PM

108 posts, read 209,210 times
I'm so tired hearing about NYCHA. Drug test everyone there and make them use a retinal scan to get inside the building. Want your "rights?"

Move out of PUBLIC housing.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM

268 posts, read 339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
I'm so tired hearing about NYCHA. Drug test everyone there and make them use a retinal scan to get inside the building. Want your "rights?"

Move out of PUBLIC housing.
What irks me the most is their sense of entitlement living in public housing.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:44 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,976,077 times
what a ridiculous idea

i used to work for a manufacturer of biometric locks. fingerprint locks are even less robust than normal locks. the reader mechanism will get broken twice as quickly as a plain old lock

in addition most of them have failsafe override via traditional keys anyway

access control via credentials or biometrics really only increase security when key management is a problem (need to re-key lock cylinders when a key is lost, people make copies for their friends, etc), or when you want different access permissions based on time of day. neither apply to housing projects

i expect some skilled salesman from a security vendor pushed this

also 3333 broadway is a joke. i can't believe what they ask for those mediocre apartments especially when half the residents will resent you for moving in. i was literally cursed out in spanish by a resident there as i went up the elevator with a realtor

Old 08-16-2013, 04:46 PM

108 posts, read 209,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
What irks me the most is their sense of entitlement living in public housing.

Yep

Last edited by TiberiusOfRome; 08-16-2013 at 04:56 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 04:56 PM

268 posts, read 339,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiberiusOfRome View Post
This country has changed so much in the past 10 years. We now have an entire sector of people who think of themsleves as victims and feel entitled to every penny they can get from The government. At what point is everything going to come to screeching hault? How many more Americans will become dependent on government? What will happen when the tax paying dopes are outnumbered by those who collect government cheese? Enjoy it now people, because mark my words...someday its all going to come to a sudden end.
I couldn't agree more. I don't know if you want to say that too loud though or you may not be looked upon favorably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City