Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 09:27 PM

5,000 posts, read 8,212,921 times

Advertisements

Alright, I took a long ass bike ride from Astoria to Brighton Beach today. Passed through Bushwick to see first hand what a wonderland it has become, as I haven't been through there in years. My observation: There is one little stretch by the Jefferson stop that has some stuff going on. Some straw-limbed, mustachioed marshmallows galavanting about on Wyckoff for sure. A couple others here and there on a random street or so. Aside from that, the neighborhood is still as puerto rican as ever with spanish businesses and 99 cent stores as far as the eye can see. For the life of me, I still cannot believe that rents are high around there. If what the Times is saying is true:
Quote:
The average monthly rent for a studio in Bushwick was $1,675
then I can only assume that they are talking about the areas around Morgan Ave which isn't even Bushwick, and maybe the Jefferson stop. Aside from that, I simply can't believe that. Place is pretty much exactly as I remember it.

And lol at rents being that high around Morgan Ave for that matter. Place is still a dump. People are friggin nuts. More power to the LL's I guess...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 08:11 PM

I see you lurkin again, you punk...

Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by availableusername View Post
I see you lurkin again, you punk...
How can you tell if someone is lurking? Just PM him.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
How can you tell if someone is lurking? Just PM him.
I saw him posting on another thread. And nah, not necessary. Just want him to see his thread.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:43 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
CB 5 approved bike lanes for Onderdonk, Woodward, Eliot, cooper, central, 69th st, 80th st and juniper valley south. Nyc bike map is expanding into queens from brooklyn.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
$1,675 for an average rent is not high or outrageous....it is NYC..the most expensive city in the country, in 2013. It is entirely possible that Bushwick has alot of 3 and 4 bedroom units...so $1,675 is actually a very affordable price for that much space...what's the big deal? And of course, you should know that the welfare programs (like Section 8) pay up to around $2K for a 4 bedroom apt...and about $1,800 ( I think) for 3 bedrooms...so again...why the surprise at these rents in Bushwick?

For someone who supposedly is from NYC, you should understand the demand, supply, trends, and rents in NYC.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
$1,675 for an average rent is not high or outrageous....it is NYC..the most expensive city in the country, in 2013. It is entirely possible that Bushwick has alot of 3 and 4 bedroom units...so $1,675 is actually a very affordable price for that much space...what's the big deal? And of course, you should know that the welfare programs (like Section 8) pay up to around $2K for a 4 bedroom apt...and about $1,800 ( I think) for 3 bedrooms...so again...why the surprise at these rents in Bushwick?

For someone who supposedly is from NYC, you should understand the demand, supply, trends, and rents in NYC.
That price for a studio is completely outrageous and unrealistic for the neighborhood as a whole (it's a big neighborhood). Do I believe it's the case for a small area towards the western border, and more importantly that east williamsburg industrial area?....I do indeed. But in terms of the general neighborhood as a whole, it's absurd and I don't buy it.

Stick to "the Southern Bronx" buddy. You don't know everything, as much as you would like to pride yourself on.

Old 08-30-2013, 07:38 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
I didn't say I knew the answer, I posed reasons why the average rent is higher than you want to believe. I am sure average sale prices are higher than you want to believe also...so it sounds like you are the one that does not understand. It's okay to admit that.

It could be that there are so few studios, because much of the market is larger units, that they rent for a premium (demand and supply!).

Old 08-30-2013, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I didn't say I knew the answer, I posed reasons why the average rent is higher than you want to believe. I am sure average sale prices are higher than you want to believe also...so it sounds like you are the one that does not understand. It's okay to admit that.

It could be that there are so few studios, because much of the market is larger units, that they rent for a premium (demand and supply!).

The "average rent is so high" is because the paper is not talking about the entire neighborhood. They're only referring to the hip area. I did a quick search on Craigslist and saw studios right away for hundreds less.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:53 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,911,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
CB 5 approved bike lanes for Onderdonk, Woodward, Eliot, cooper, central, 69th st, 80th st and juniper valley south. Nyc bike map is expanding into queens from brooklyn.
Some of those streets are narrow enough as it is. I wonder how they're gonna create bike lanes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City