Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times

Advertisements

Every so often I get telemarketing calls from alternative electricity options, instead of Con Ed. I'm never remotely tempted, because it's nothing I'd do over the phone, and because the callers sound like idiots. But have any of you ever gone that route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 06:15 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times
absolutely those people are unprofessional. they are better in person than over the phone. over the phone they were calling me by my first name and whining my name as if their life depended on it. very unprofessional. i don't feel comfortable signing over to a company that seems to have a shaky identity, and its also an imposition to have to start researching about them just because they called. with all thats going on in my life(cancer diagnosis) the last thing i need is issues with my electricity service

Old 08-31-2013, 08:40 AM

25,374 posts, read 37,097,722 times
You really will not save enough to justify the hassle, if anything at all.
Sometimes they make the offer attractive with Winter rates but then they make it up with Summer rates.

I thank God they have stopped pestering me 4 times a week.

And I do not even pay an electric bill, it's included in my maintenance. Our co-op has ONE meter.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:03 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
No, I haven't tried as it seems a hassle and am not sure how reputable these alternatives are.

Old 08-31-2013, 10:21 AM

106,736 posts, read 108,937,910 times
same here, they call all the time. it is enough already. i aint switching.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:55 AM

you have to wonder why on earth would they REALLY care so much about how much one pays for their Con Ed bills and WHY they would go to so much trouble and effort to visit and call so many people. its like they are just trying to make a profit by exceeding the # of customers Con Ed has or something like that. a few times they have misrepresented themselves, claiming to be Con Ed employees. when i verified it with Con Ed, they were NOT working for Con Ed at all

Old 08-31-2013, 11:57 AM

once my phone service was "slammed" without my permission and i sure am not signing anything to be slammed again...

Old 08-31-2013, 01:30 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,687,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you have to wonder why on earth would they REALLY care so much about how much one pays for their Con Ed bills and WHY they would go to so much trouble and effort to visit and call so many people. its like they are just trying to make a profit by exceeding the # of customers Con Ed has or something like that. a few times they have misrepresented themselves, claiming to be Con Ed employees. when i verified it with Con Ed, they were NOT working for Con Ed at all
I'm not sure I follow you. People make a huge fuss over their telephones, which a couple of decades ago was just another utility that no one would have wasted any thought on. People make a huge fuss over their televisions, more than anyone would have dreamed when I was a kid. Things change.

But you're right - they do begin the call implying that they're from Con Ed.

Old 08-31-2013, 01:38 PM

i meant these people selling alternative electricity services--its irritating how they knock on doors and frantically calling you at 9PM insisting like your mom and dad that youre getting the short end of the stick from Con Ed, its like a trumped up earnestness like they are so concerned about how much you pay and they don't even know you from a hole in the wall...

Old 08-31-2013, 06:08 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
If someone is coming to your door to save your electric rates, close the door.
It isnt going to happen.

years ago, a rep from a company came to our office, the owners being cheap said go with it.
I did. The next few bills were double what we used to pay because of buing the electricity from point A, then point B has to get from point C, anyway, a mess.........we ended up cancelling it but with a big headache, i will spare everybody here.

Con Ed is the only elec we can have, dont liet anyone fool you.

and the rates these days are insane.

same apt for 25 years, 32 on budget, now 135 if I was to go on a budget.
other than a computer, everything in my apt is the same???? figure that one out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City