Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 12:21 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
EXACTLY, I don't get what the problem is either. Be thankful they are even allowed to live there. It figures kiddo has a problem with it. LOL, thant I am not suprised.

Why should Anita and her six babies get the same thing as Mr and Mrs Investment banker???
Because "Joe Brown," public teacher in Harlem-crap-school fill in the blank - the most likely ACTUAL tenant - should not be penalized because the corrupt system in which we now live refuses to value his occupation more than the investment banker's.

Anita and her six babies, or similar (we both know it would be a different name ...) would never be approved. I know this because I have written "Joe Brown" letters upon occasion. There is a stringent screening process for many of the buildings, or I should say, all of those I know about. It is apparently quite a process.

Wake up, people.
Unethical viewpoints remain unethical even lacking a speaker's awareness of such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2013, 12:25 PM

268 posts, read 340,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlem resident View Post
Because "Joe Brown," public teacher in Harlem-crap-school fill in the blank - the most likely ACTUAL tenant - should not be penalized because the corrupt system in which we now live refuses to value his occupation more than the investment banker's.

Anita and her six babies, or similar (we both know it would be a different name ...) would never be approved. I know this because I have written "Joe Brown" letters upon occasion. There is a stringent screening process for many of the buildings, or I should say, all of those I know about. It is apparently quite a process.
And it should be. "Anita" and her six babies... There is plenty of public housing for them.

Last edited by Somewhere in Time; 08-19-2013 at 12:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2013, 12:27 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,888,702 times
i am against extell implementing this. its the epitome of classism at its finest. this is 2013, not 1953. first off what the hell? if there are affordable units being included, then everyone should be allowed to live and co-exist with each other. those people with deeper pockets, can move elsewhere, since you know from the get-go what you're getting in.
second, the help? these people live in the building. "they" are no longer "the help". all that goes out of the window. third, the inclusion of those with lower incomes could possibly teach those with no couth, that ratchet behavior wont be tolerated. there shouldn't be a problem, if the tenants coming in were screened to satisfactory. make it so that the credit score for a tenant to qualify is 700, include a surprise home-visit to make sure the tenant keeps their apartment up to top notch condition.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:31 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,930,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellUpInHarlem View Post
i am against extell implementing this. its the epitome of classism at its finest. this is 2013, not 1953. first off what the hell? if there are affordable units being included, then everyone should be allowed to live and co-exist with each other. those people with deeper pockets, can move elsewhere, since you know from the get-go.
second, the help? these people live in the building. "they" are no longer "the help". all that goes out of the window. third, the inclusion of those with lower incomes could possibly teach those with no couth, that ratchet behavior wont be tolerated. there shouldn't be a problem, if the tenants coming in were screened to satisfactory. make it so that the credit score for a tenant to qualify is 700, include a surprise home-visit to make sure the tenant keeps their apartment up to satisfactory condition.
It's just not the population you imagine.
Once in a blue moon, such "uncouth" (!) types are placed in some Harlem (or other "upcoming" areas) mixed-income buildings, I would guess. But there ? Out of the question. It will be exactly the demographic I described.
Low income is $40,000 - $70,000 or even $80,000, teachers, academic adjuncts (increasingly the norm), museum staff, non-profits ... and so on.
Not to mention that most with recent professional degrees have staggering student loan debts, in addition to the ridiculously low incomes.

Old 08-19-2013, 01:17 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somewhere in Time View Post
For starters how about the location that they're in? How many places in that part of Manhattan are you going to find at that price point with brand new apartments for rent? The amenities are all around them, mainly within walking distance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
EXACTLY, I don't get what the problem is either. Be thankful they are even allowed to live there.
The problem is the tax breaks. The government is subsidizing a lower income group with the expectation that they will be provided with lower priced housing in the same building. On the surface the location meets that requirement, even if there is segregated access. The different management companies is more problematic and hints at the potential for neglect. The city will have to keep a closer eye on the living conditions

Old 08-19-2013, 01:24 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Brooklyn Neighbors Share Landlord But Not Amenities

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/03/ny...ties.html?_r=0

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 08-19-2013, 01:36 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
I don't understand how someone making 80K is poor. Isn't that solidly middle class? I mean, that's around what I make before taxes. I never felt I was poor. Maybe some struggle but certainly not poverty line. I've always had dinner on the table and a vacation or two to look forward to on that salary. What is middle class now, in this effed up city? 200K?

Old 08-19-2013, 01:40 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,720,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
I don't understand how someone making 80K is poor. Isn't that solidly middle class? I mean, that's around what I make before taxes. I never felt I was poor. Maybe some struggle but certainly not poverty line. What is middle class now, in this effed up city? 200K?
That's the OP's fault. There is nothing poor about the people that can afford "affordable" units. You actually need to be making quite a bit of money to qualify and to make rent

Old 08-19-2013, 02:48 PM

345 posts, read 853,728 times
No one is really going to care. There'll be 15,000 applications for this one.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:53 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,404,247 times
who keeps coming up with these foolish ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City