Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 01:13 PM

143 posts, read 651,901 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm considering moving to Manhattan in about a year and I notice that there are alot of places for rent in Harlem that would save me a few bucks. Are there any safe places in Harlem? How would the commute be from there to Midtown? Many of the places are in Inwood, some in Washington Heights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2007, 01:24 PM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
I am sure some people here will say is too dangerous and Harlem is full of crime, but I say the opposite. Harlem crime is low and the chances of you been a victim is also very low, unless you get involve in some crime activity. Also like any place in the city, be aware around you, especially very late at night. I have friends and co-workers that live in Harlem and they do fine. I also visit them alot. The only undesirable streets to walk are in East Harlem, like Lexington and Park Avenue. Good luck!

Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by Keeper; 11-14-2007 at 05:48 AM..

Old 11-13-2007, 01:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I don't know your specific situation so I can't just straight up recommend it for you. I generally have reservations about recommending any area of the city to people who are not really familiar with the area in question. I think you should really check it out for yourself. Check out Wash Heights, and Inwood too.

I will help you with the commute question though. The commute to Midtown is generally pretty good in Harlem. With the exception of a few spots here and there, in Harlem you are never too far away from a decent train line.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:24 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
It really depends on the area but there are crimes being committed in Harlem. There have been lots of break ins and I personally know people who rented there and were targeted and robbed. It just really depends. See for yourself.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:28 PM

2,787 posts, read 11,500,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
I am sure some people here will say is too dangerous and Harlem is full of crime, but I say the opposite. Harlem crime is low...
lol Ummmm, no.

Quote:
Also like any place in the city, be aware around you, especially very late at night. I have friends and co-workers that live in Harlem and they do fine. I also visit them alot. The only undesirable streets to walk are in East Harlem, like Lexington and Park Avenue. Good luck!
Yes, sort of. Left out quite a few areas, though.

Harlem is not safe, I know that's hard to grasp in the urban utopia that is New York City, but you're going to have to deal with the fact that IT IS A GHETTO. You wouldn't believe some of the strories I have to share from my Harlem experiences. Also, there was a member of wirednewyork.com who was killed in Harlem/Washington Heights. He's even got a section dedicated to him on the forums.

Harlem? Safe? NOT A CHANCE IN HELL.

Last edited by Keeper; 11-14-2007 at 05:49 AM.. Reason: removed deleted quote

Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,636 times
Recently in Morningside Heights, "the real estate corridor" as they call it, there was a break in on a couple not far from Morningside Park and both were shot in the head. The man is deceased but the woman was/is fighting for her life in the hospital. It made the news at 11 but since then has been quietly swept under the rug.

Is this the same guy on the forums, Future Cop? I don't think so.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:33 PM

If you decide on that area, the commute to Midtown won't be bad at all. But if you work late... You're screwed. You might as well just stick a sign on your chest that says "mug me, then kill me."

Old 11-13-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
Recently in Morningside Heights, "the real estate corridor" as they call it, there was a break in on a couple not far from Morningside Park and both were shot in the head. The man is deceased but the woman was/is fighting for her life in the hospital. It made the news at 11 but since then has been quietly swept under the rug.

No, this was not the same guy. But that's not as common as it is in Harlem. Murders take place in the boonies, doesn't mean I'd rather be in Harlem. And like I said, I've got many stories from Harlem that I could tell you that would give even the toughest man nightmares.

Old 11-13-2007, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
See how easy you lie. He wasn't killed in the Washington Heights area, he was attack on Park avenue in East Harlem (close to 125th street) and die because he started running away form the robbery and a car hit him on 125th street. So he was kill by a car. Well he die in the hospital from the trauma. Anyway the kids were all arrested. Oh and this happened somewhere close to midnight. Get your information straight.
Well, I only took a quick glimpse of it. From what I heard, he was killed by the robbers. And there you go, who's to say they wouldn't murder somebody during a robbery? Either way, you're screwed.

Old 11-13-2007, 03:07 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post

A lot of people don't consider Morningside Heights to be part of Harlem. So I think it is a little unfair to include that area in this discussion. Plus Morningside Heights is generally considered a safe neighborhood so its kinda besides the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City