Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 09:38 PM

402 posts, read 811,177 times

Advertisements

Anyone that grew up with any knowledge of the streets at any time knows the police can and will frisk you for any reason and any time as they please, "I smelt weed" "I saw him hide something in his pocket" ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2013, 09:43 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,954,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mps0909 View Post
Anyone that grew up with any knowledge of the streets at any time knows the police can and will frisk you for any reason and any time as they please, "I smelt weed" "I saw him hide something in his pocket" ...
And they can be sued as well. This year Stop and Frisk stops have dramatically declined, due to the political climate. Expect them to go down further as a result of this judges ruling.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 PM

LOL they can be sued, and I could have been a movie star? Where did you people grow up? Cops word versus some citizens word... Cops word wins...

Old 08-21-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
LOL they can be sued, and I could have been a movie star? Where did you people grow up? Cops word versus some citizens word... Cops word wins...
Not at all. Look up the case of Felix Rivera Pitre. He was an OWS protester/homeless person. Punched by a cop. Sued the city and the cop who punched. The city settled out of court and paid Felix 55,000. There are other cases in which people have successfully sued the NYPD and NYPD officers. Its why Stop and Frisk already went down big time this year, before the judge made her ruling. Oh, and the plantiffs in the stop and frisk case where people who had been stopped and frisked. After going over the evidence, the judge took their work over the NYPD and the city.

So courts don't automatically take the word of police officers.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:04 PM

for every one of those cases theres 100 x guys who got the crap whipped out of them for next to nothing, and they didnt get a nickel out of it, in most cases they got some time in jail...

Old 08-21-2013, 10:11 PM

Quote:
for every one of those cases theres 100 x guys who got the crap whipped out of them for next to nothing, and they didnt get a nickel out of it, in most cases they got some time in jail...
All it takes is a case that's won to make cops and the NYPD itself nervous. Why do else do you think Stop and Frisk has DROPPED big time this year?

Old 08-21-2013, 10:13 PM

Btw, there are a number of lawyers who make a living in part through police misconduct cases (and civil rights cases). They charge their clients nothing unless they win the case or get a settlement. So there's enough money being made for lawyers to specialize in this. And this contributes to the big drop in Stop and Frisk.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:14 PM

everything the cops do doesnt get accounted for or documented, despite what you have been told... Just a thought, dont believe everything you read..

Old 08-21-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
everything the cops do doesnt get accounted for or documented, despite what you have been told... Just a thought, dont believe everything you read..
Who said I believe everything I read? Since living in the North Bronx, I've not seen cops approach anyone on the street randomly. A few years ago, I recall when police had a greater presence on the streets. They've retreated big time.

Oh, your boy Bloomberg in 2011 actually laid off cops and reduced the police force. So its not the same number of cops, either.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:30 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,047,100 times
Quote:
True, when I was about 16, I was running in the street chasing a friend. Then next minute a bunch of police cars cut me off and everyone got out with guns drawn. When I raised my hands I accidentally swiped one of the cops in the nose. He told me that if I touched him once more he'll break my f**king arm. I had no idea why I was being stopped and I'm sure he knew that I glazed his face by accident while raising my arm since I was nervous. One of the officers then explained that there was a stabbing near by and that's why they stopped me. No apologies, nothing, and off then went.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City