Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 08:41 PM

2 posts, read 14,311 times

Advertisements

I am planning on viewing an apartment at 127th and St. Nicholas in a few days. What do people know about the safety of this area? I am a white female in my early 20's, so I want to make sure that I am not putting myself at too much risk. I recognize that obviously no matter where you live common sense is necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Which building. This actually matters quite a bit. If you say, I will give you my opinion. I am guessing it must be the school building or the second building he owns on 127th, or the building just north, where the restaurant is.

There is a major drug seller on the corner, harasses the bodega guy and customers, beat someone up the other day. Broad daylight; screaming the whole time in ghetto-speak something like, "This my corner get it."

Social-service housing on 127th, the entire block to Convent; on the other side of St. Nicholas - ditto, to FDB. 128th and St. Nicholas social-service housing - both sides, and the whole block of 128th and FDB up to the projects. FDB ... well, are you moving there ?! Because I would avoid that. Across from the school building is section 8 (and lower) programs, also the building south of the school building.

Conversely. There is a good restaurant on 127th, school building has decent tenants, new buildings across the street from the bodega. The building of the restaurant and bodega is decent, ambitious landlord. On the other hand, next to that - social service housing.

FYI - lots of serious sex offenders in the social-service housing on 128th. I don't even understand how they are out on the streets.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:19 PM

2 posts, read 14,311 times
Oh, wow. That is a lot of helpful information! The building is a brownstone west of St. Nicholas Ave. The address is 368 w 127th

Old 08-22-2013, 09:20 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
if you're moving to one of the newly constructed buildings, then you'll be fine.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:24 PM

7,906 posts, read 7,880,868 times
me, I'd look for something better in the area. not that particular building.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:39 PM

57 posts, read 128,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmenthunter87 View Post
I am planning on viewing an apartment at 127th and St. Nicholas in a few days. What do people know about the safety of this area? I am a white female in my early 20's, so I want to make sure that I am not putting myself at too much risk. I recognize that obviously no matter where you live common sense is necessary.
Here we go again!!!!!

"i'm a poor little innocent white girl who chose to move to the ghetto and I'm scared of all those mean blacks and Hispanics".......why don't you go there in the middle of the night and find out for yourself

Old 08-23-2013, 12:29 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,858,742 times
^I was passing through one day in a cab and I saw a White women leasurely riding her bicycle going downtown on St. Nick in passing by west 128th St. I was thinking wow I would never have considered riding my bike over here things must have really changed.

Best wishes to you wherever you move to.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,816,133 times
good location, nothing to worry about unless you're deliberately looking for trouble

the drug dealer isn't going to beat you up on that corner dont let Harlemresident scare you

Old 08-23-2013, 05:45 AM

912 posts, read 2,099,041 times
What's your budget

Old 08-23-2013, 06:37 AM

6,885 posts, read 9,927,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apartmenthunter87 View Post
Oh, wow. That is a lot of helpful information! The building is a brownstone west of St. Nicholas Ave. The address is 368 w 127th
If you do choose the building, check on the HPD website for violations, check on ACRIS for building violations, and check on the bedbug registry. If there are a lot of HPD violations, it can mean that the landlord is bad, or it can mean that the tenants are harassing him for settlements. I feel sorry for that guy, he is trying very hard to do something. There are not-great tenants in the building as well, I have also seen better people emerging.

The building directly next door is simply awful. "Managed" generational poverty, ECDO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City