Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 AM

6 posts, read 9,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
You can do whatever you want but it sounds odd. Turning 21 isn't something most people celebrate alone. And no matter how responsible you think you are, no matter how well you believe you can hold your liquor you have no experience. I am a grown woman with years of experience and I don't feel safe alone at the bar. It's just not smart, it basically makes you a target. Especially if you're from out of town and cute. There's men out there unfortunately that prey on girls like you. For some guys drunk = yes.
I understand what you mean! That's scary. I'm not going to be putting myself into that kind of position. The most I'm planning on having alcohol wise is maybe a drink with dinner. Maybe. I don't drink much at all, and if I do, it's never to get drunk. I'll have a drink with dinner with my mom every once in a blue moon.

It is something very odd, but I'm comfortable by myself. I live by myself 95% of the time. Funny side note: I first mentioned traveling alone when I was 13. Not even in America. I wanted (and still want) to be a volunteer at a baboon sanctuary in South Africa. You'd think after hearing that one, my parents would be a little more excited about New York! haha

Thank you for the help! =]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 09:15 AM

273 posts, read 672,818 times
Glad to be of help and I am glad you have a friend of the family showing you around. Just having that person being a contact person in case of emergencies is good. I think that is the main concern from some people - NYC is safer than Las Vegas but is far more crowded and larger. So best you have a contact person in case of emergencies (you miss your flight or it gets cancelled due to a storm, maybe you twist your ankle or something and you need to arrange some assitance to get around an get on the plane home - little stuff like that.)

Good luck and pm me if you are interested in seeing the boroughs of NYC (Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Bronx).

Old 08-29-2013, 09:25 AM

37,148 posts, read 39,404,784 times
You sound prepared and not out to get pissdrunk. You'll be fine. Hopefully yourmomsfriendsnephew can show you around or introduce you to people who would as there's a lot of nyc that's great and not in the tour guides.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
You will be fine! I'm a Texan (in Austin now) and when I was in college at Austin College (in Sherman, just north of you) we made three trips to New York City for National Model United Nations. Granted, we were in a group for a lot of the time, but I did venture out on my own several times and was fine. That was back in 1989 to 1992, too, and the city is a LOT safer now. I've been several times since on my own, and most recently just last month with my husband, and never had a problem....I've stayed in midtown, UWS, and Harlem. I'm very street aware even though I was raised in small-town East Texas and always aware of my surroundings. If something seems odd, move away; leave your expensive jewelry at home and don't flash electronics while walking in questionable areas or while you're alone; don't fall for the street scams around Times Square or in the subways (buying CDs, posing with Mickey Mouse or the naked cowboy, giving money to the preachers/beggars, etc).

And definitely buy the unlimited subway pass at a station -- I think it is about $32 now and well worth your money! Hop on, hop off, explore EVERYTHING!!! I never use taxis when I travel anywhere in the world, but in NYC you'll want to walk a lot, too, because you'll miss a lot if you're underground.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions! AND HAVE FUN!!!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:32 PM

900 posts, read 2,372,700 times
Yeah what EBDC said.

Last night I was out and had 2 large mixed drinks and I was feeling fine, but I was also not walking straight. I had to go somewhere (oudoors) w/ a lot of people to sober up a little before getting on the train home then once in my hood tried my best to walk straight.

Don't know if this has been mentioned but also watch out for pick pockets. Purses w/ zippers are better with long straps, even better are the purses that have a cover over the zipper. For guys and girls only put things in your front pockets. Watch for someone who might "innocently" bump into you.

If you have the latest gadget don't openly display just any ole where. Kinda take your que from the locals, although some of the locals don't have good sense either.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:13 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,853 times
AS everyone said, don't look out of place. I'll stereotype to make a point, but don't wear the cowboy boots with stars in your eyes looking at everything. Acting confident is the most important.

Do research on areas in advance. If you want to venture north in Manhattan, know where to go or what stops to get off of, or not. I would stay under 70th st, to make things simple. You'll probably be tempted to go to Brooklyn, and please do, they have some unique things to offer, but know what are the bad areas as well, it's easy to find yourself in them.

There is all kinds of weirdos out there, from aggressive type, to passive aggressive. I have a few stories myself, but I'm always on guard, and manage to step out before anything happens.

That said, you should be fine, good luck!

Old 09-06-2013, 06:57 PM

575 posts, read 672,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire41026 View Post
I'm most definitely serious about coming. =] I tried to answer the questions that one person asked in general, but I'm not sure if you missed that post or if I just didn't explain myself well.
Sapphire,

You did explain yourself well. Your post was made while I was writing mine so they sort of crossed in the mail.

Like you, I neglected to click the place to get email notifications. I usually do. This time I am clicking it to Instant Email Notification.

You sound like you are good to go and do have a sort of family member to hang with. Not sure if he can afford to run with you on the shows part of your trip. Not so cheap but you can find deals.

You should love MOMA and it's great you have a specific exhibit to see.

As to shows, I had a friend in town a few months ago and she was on a tight budget. It got down to her last night and we were souvenir shopping; well she was. A lady came up to us in full character, costume, makeup, accent and the whole deal. Like she had stepped off the stage and came straight to us. She had coupons for $60 off to see Chicago. We immediately took one, went to the box office and got great lower mezzanine seats. It was her first trip to NYC and the coupon kept her on budget and was a great experience with which to end her visit. Plus we ate at Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill which she wanted to do anyway, being a big fan of him on TV.

As to MOMA, they have this Free Fridays thing. You have to stand in a long line but it moves fast. We did that one day. I was a bit bummed as they had loaned out a bunch of Warhol's to another museum and they had a crap loaner exhibit that was boring to me. She was still thrilled to be at MOMA so it was a success of sorts. For me, I would prefer to pay and not deal with the throng but at least you know a freebie is out there if you want it.

Don't forget to enjoy the great food of any type you want to eat. Being 21 you might like Southern Hospitality, owned by Justin Timberlake with a couple of partners. Great BBQ and a fun place. 45th St & 9th Ave on the corner so easy to find. Not the best Q in town but a nice experience and the food is excellent. Log in from the on Yelp as they often have a free beer for doing that.

Have fun.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:41 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,242 times
"Mommy took a bus trip, now she gotta bust out
Everybody ride her, just like a bus route" - Jay Z

LOL, jk just listen to your spidey senses and you'll be fine. You'll probably be far safer wandering around Manhattan alone at anytime of the day than in any big city in Texas.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:40 PM

291 posts, read 377,972 times
Do it,enjoy-you will be fine. It is a dream of yours! I have visited NYC 6 times and have never felt unsafe. I have'nt gone alone, but would in a heart beat. As stated before-just don't get **** drunk. That would be the only thing I would worry about.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:06 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,834,136 times
If you aren't drinking, there's a 99.99% chance you will be fine. I've been here 8 years and the only time crazy **** happens is when I drink heavily....unfortunately that happens every Friday and Saturday so there's been plenty of crazy times haha. There's probably less chance of anything bad happening than taking 2million random people driving on highways any given time.
I wouldn't go crazy trying to master the subway. If budget isn't a huge concern, stick to the cabs. I have no idea why someone recommended car service. Your hotel is in a pretty awesome area. Not a total tourist hotspot, but easy enough to see all the midtown stuff. I'd see no reason to go above 70thst or leave manhattan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City