Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 08:09 AM

7 posts, read 24,017 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

We are looking for a neighborhood that would be relatively easy for one of us to commute to Manhattan and the other to Rosedale. It seems Brooklyn, specifically somewhere close to the Atlantic Terminal or Nostrand LIRR stations (Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Bed-Stuy or Crown Heights), might make most sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on these neighborhoods or other suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by wheretolivenyc; 08-23-2013 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 AM

273 posts, read 673,027 times
THe neighborhoods you identified would be a good choice though some parts are pricey - Prospect Height to western Crown Height may have rents as high as Yorkville in Manhattan. Fort Greene near BAM is getting expensive as well as the historic district (A train Fulton stop) in Bed Sty. If Crown Heights I advise closer to Prospect Heights or the area around Medgar Evers College. My only caution is the orthodox Jewish Community and Caribbean have had a history of conflict (famed Crown Heights riots in the early 90's) that honestly has justifiable sources. The two - except for the conservative religious Caribbean American communities (as yes there are Orthodox Jews who are black) - have quite divergent social mores and the young kids coming in (hopsters and more liberal minded folk) aggravate this as they have more liberal views than both groups ofttimes (acceptance of homsexuality, agnostic views, etc). Bed Sty has some areas - near the Bushwick border and heading into Ocean Hill that are a little rough and best for more adverturous renters. Nothing terrible but you'd like the historic district or Clinton Hill which is north of the Prospect Heights area.

Of these areas Prospect Heights an Fort Greene would be closest to the Atlantic Ave Station where there is the LIRR to Rosedale and trains to Manhattan.

There is an East NY LIRR station which if the area were far safer, would be an option but I advise against it, the area has a history of high crime.

In Queens consider Woodside near the LIRR area, Woodside is a little cheaper than many of the areas you mention in Brooklyn. Fairly diverse - Irish, South Asian, Asian communtiies as well as Latino and some of the older European groups. The housing stock varies in quality but around the LIRR there are some nice tree lined blocks off Woodside Ave and tRoosevelt Ave. In particular are some lovelbly buildings near the Sunnyside/Woodside area off the 51st Street area, off Broadway int eh 50's and 60's, and Woodside Ave heading to the old Bulova building that are close to the LIRR/7 train station. The benefit of Woodside is you are near a few neighborhoods offering ample restaurants, bars, ethnic eats, and for ample shopping for basics as well as a mall a few subway stops away. The 51st street stop is on stop away on the 7 from the LIRR and the 7 stop takes you to Manhattan. I believe on Queens Blvd there are buses to midtown (QM32 I think). Astoria/LIC is not faroffering decent nightlife, very good theater at Secret Theater, and also offers some excellent museums and waterfront parks while Jackson Heights has a nice historic district a great a mix of Latino and South Asian cultures as well as Tibetan for ethnic eats! Woodside offers around the LIRR some large Irish bars, Chinese bakeries, and some cafes. Access to Manhattan would be to Times Square/Grand Central/Bryant Park.

Hopes this helps.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM

436 posts, read 565,475 times
I suggest Jamaica. The subway is right there, and so are the buses to Rosedale. Flushing and Kew Gardens aren't bad either.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:36 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,542,542 times
If you work in Manhattan and Queens, why would you complicate things by living in Brooklyn?

Living in Queens seems like the logical choice if you can't afford manhattan.

Old 11-02-2013, 09:58 AM

7 posts, read 24,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
If you work in Manhattan and Queens, why would you complicate things by living in Brooklyn?

Living in Queens seems like the logical choice if you can't afford manhattan.
Excellent question! It is only because I know nothing about Queens but I am more than willing to learn. We are totally open to anywhere, really, where we can have a dog-friendly 1-2 bed for under $2000/month in a safe neighborhood that has at least some good bars/restaurants and where my commute to Rosedale would be under an hour (and the Manhattan commute less than that) [let me know if I am looking for something that doesn't exist]. I am looking in to Forest Hills and Kew Gardens but I am still all for suggestions!

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM

1,268 posts, read 2,562,902 times
My thinking is saying try those neighborhoods in BK near the LIRR you listed since you would have good distance between both locations. That way neither trip would feel too much like a drag. If you can afford Prospect Heights, Fort Greene/Clinton Hill, and western Crown Heights, I say go for that. If you can't afford and you're comfortable living in rougher areas, try the rest of Crown Heights or Eastern Bed Stuy.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:03 AM

43,682 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretolivenyc View Post
Excellent question! It is only because I know nothing about Queens but I am more than willing to learn. We are totally open to anywhere, really, where we can have a dog-friendly 1-2 bed for under $2000/month in a safe neighborhood that has at least some good bars/restaurants and where my commute to Rosedale would be under an hour (and the Manhattan commute less than that) [let me know if I am looking for something that doesn't exist]. I am looking in to Forest Hills and Kew Gardens but I am still all for suggestions!
I would add Rego Park to your list of options.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Tapatalk 2

Old 11-03-2013, 08:07 AM

25,373 posts, read 37,097,722 times
I suggest living just slightly to the East of Rosedale on Long Island and keeping about 3-4% of both your salaries.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:04 AM

10,224 posts, read 19,223,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I suggest living just slightly to the East of Rosedale on Long Island and keeping about 3-4% of both your salaries.
Aren't you the guy who wants everyone wealthier than you paying higher taxes?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:24 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,141,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheretolivenyc View Post
Hi all,

We are looking for a neighborhood that would be relatively easy for one of us to commute to Manhattan and the other to Rosedale. It seems Brooklyn, specifically somewhere close to the Atlantic Terminal or Nostrand LIRR stations (Fort Greene, Prospect Heights, Bed-Stuy or Crown Heights), might make most sense. Does anyone have any thoughts on these neighborhoods or other suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Is the person who is commuting to Rosedale driving or taking a train?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City