Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 38,116 times

Advertisements

On our way to New York to spend 2 nights in the area. Have never been to NY, so please forgive me if some of these questions are ignorant (I am!) or seem silly.

1. I there such a thing as a hotel on a beach where you have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty? With a balcony? Prefer one around Central Park, if such exists. Idea on price?

2. Is there a beach where we could rent an ATV (or dune buggy, etc.) and ride on beach? Idea on pricing?

3. Best beach for kids/family? Why do you suggest/like it?

If such matters (are you aware of any fab discount or MWR facility?), husband is active duty military.

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 09:35 AM

BTW, I did a search for "Statue of Liberty beach kids" and came up with no results. Really? Is there a better forum to search?

Old 08-23-2013, 09:46 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
There are no “beach hotels” in Manhattan. There may be a couple in the Rockaways or Coney Island, but I don’t think you’d want to stay there. If you’re coming to New York for a beach vacation, you’ve made a mistake.

If you want beach and the Statue of Liberty, you should stay on the Jersey Shore. It’s easier to get to the statue from there anyway.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:01 AM

And THAT is the type of info we need. Thank you!

Coming more to knock SOL off the bucket list, but we have yet to do a beach this summer, so thought we might as well. Thinking the SOL can take up 1/2 a day at most? We'll see her this afternoon via Ferry, maybe venture over to Central Park for a couple hours, then find a good place for night photography of The Lady, check in to a hotel at the beach, spend all day tomorrow there, and head back South on Sunday. Reasonable?

Suggestion of hotel at Jersey Shore?

Old 08-23-2013, 11:18 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by household61974 View Post
And THAT is the type of info we need. Thank you!

Coming more to knock SOL off the bucket list, but we have yet to do a beach this summer, so thought we might as well. Thinking the SOL can take up 1/2 a day at most? We'll see her this afternoon via Ferry, maybe venture over to Central Park for a couple hours, then find a good place for night photography of The Lady, check in to a hotel at the beach, spend all day tomorrow there, and head back South on Sunday. Reasonable?

Suggestion of hotel at Jersey Shore?

If you want to go up in the Crown of the SOL, you might want to try to get tickets in advance. However, I've know some people that went recently and got tickets for the Crown the same day.

To/From SOL on the ferry takes ~10 minutes from Manhattan. Here is a schedule of the ferry:
Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - Official Tickets & Tours - Guaranteed Lowest Price

However, keep in mind you have 2 choices: Battery Park (Manhattan) or Liberty State Park, Jersey City, NJ. If you are set on going to Jersey Shore, maybe you want to keep the car in NJ.

From Battery Park to Central Park, I would give yourself ~30-40 minutes to get up there. Battery Park is downtown, while Central Park begins on 59th Street. Therefore NO WAY you will have a view of the SOL from Central Park.... You possibly have a view downtown (you can even see the SOL from the High Line).

In terms of beaches.... Another option if you want to stay in NY is Long Beach (on Long Island). You could always go to Penn Station (34th Street) and take the LIRR (Long Island Rail Road) to Long Beach. That's my husband and my beach of choice from public transit. The LIRR station in Long Beach is within walking distance of the beach. You can buy a Rail/Beach pass combination. Here is some more information:
MTA LIRR - Long Beach. It takes about 1 hour to get there from Manhattan. The area of Long Beach also has a number of mediocre restaurants.

As for Jersey Shore... to me that's a separate vacation if you're only doing 2 days, but it's possible. You might want to post in the NJ forum for more specific information on places to stay/do there.

From your questions, it sounds like you've never been to NYC before. Maybe you want to spend the 2 days taking in the sights just here?

Old 08-23-2013, 12:50 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
This sounds like a really strange trip. You could just take the train to Coney Island. The beach is fine, you can ride the rides and go to the aquarium too. If you want to do an entire beach day you could also take the seastreak ferry from either Pier 11 (near Wall Street) or East 35th street to Sandy Hook, NJ. The ferries don't return from there though until it looks like 4pm on a weekday and 3:45 on a weekend.

Or maybe just do everything from NJ. Stay either in Point Pleasant (if you want the whole boardwalk experience) or in Long Branch and then drive to Liberty State Park and get to the statue from there. I only mention Long Branch because I know of this nice hotel New Jersey Shore Hotels - Ocean Place Resort & Spa

Old 08-23-2013, 12:56 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by household61974 View Post
On our way to New York to spend 2 nights in the area. Have never been to NY, so please forgive me if some of these questions are ignorant (I am!) or seem silly.

1. I there such a thing as a hotel on a beach where you have a nice view of the Statue of Liberty? With a balcony? Prefer one around Central Park, if such exists. Idea on price?

2. Is there a beach where we could rent an ATV (or dune buggy, etc.) and ride on beach? Idea on pricing?

3. Best beach for kids/family? Why do you suggest/like it?

If such matters (are you aware of any fab discount or MWR facility?), husband is active duty military.

Thank you!!
The Statue of Liberty and Central Park are nowhere near each other. So if you stay near Central Park you will be nowhere near a beach. As stated if you want to stay near a beach, you will need to stay outside of Manhattan, perhaps in the Brighton Beach/Coney Island area of Brooklyn, the Far Rockaways or in Flushing which are both in Queens or in New Jersey. Also you could stay in hotel with beach outside of the city area completely like in Long Island but that won't be really very accessible to Manhattan easily especially for a 2 nights stay.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
I suggest playing around on Google Maps to get a sense of the geography. Central Park is nowhere near the Statue of Liberty—and you can’t see one from the other.

These are really two trips: either beach/Statue of Liberty or Manhattan/Central Park/Statue of Liberty. If you only have two days I strongly suggest choosing one or the other. If you tried to do everything, you’d spend so much time traveling and rushing about that you won’t enjoy actually being there.

You can get a ferry to the statue from Liberty State Park (GET NJ - Liberty State Park, Jersey City - From Liberty State Park take a ferry to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island) in New Jersey (Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - Official Tickets & Tours - Guaranteed Lowest Price) and avoid New York/Manhattan altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City