Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 08:50 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
I know it was all over back in the days.. but it stopped for a very long time..
Never really "stopped". Just left the general public consciousness, except for those who are victims.Every once in a while the issue gets into the press and people get hyper aware for a while and then it recedes again.Never really goes away.

NY can still be a brutal place,despite all the talk about "gentrification" and being virtually crime free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 09:11 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Have none of you ever heard of "wheel locks " that can only be removed with a specific shaped socket wrench ? With one on each wheel, the thief is unable to get them off, and they come in at least 30 different patterns, so unless the bad guys are willing to carry a whole tool box around with them, you are not going to be a victim.

I've had them on all my cars since 1995. I have the socket hidden in my trunk, so that the mechanic can take off the wheels to service the brakes, or change tires from summer to winter treads.

Cost for my 2011 Chevy Cobalt / $29,95. For four of them and the socket . Cheap insurance,

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:52 AM

576 posts, read 1,547,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
Have none of you ever heard of "wheel locks " that can only be removed with a specific shaped socket wrench ? With one on each wheel, the thief is unable to get them off, and they come in at least 30 different patterns, so unless the bad guys are willing to carry a whole tool box around with them, you are not going to be a victim.

I've had them on all my cars since 1995. I have the socket hidden in my trunk, so that the mechanic can take off the wheels to service the brakes, or change tires from summer to winter treads.

Cost for my 2011 Chevy Cobalt / $29,95. For four of them and the socket . Cheap insurance,

Jim B

Toronto.
The cop said that the tire locks can be removed and that actually I was the only one who did'nt have tire locks.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:04 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,169 times
Quote:

Jim B

Toronto.
Your fooling yourself if you think that's the solution. If they want your rims they will take them, they literally have a bag of tricks. Luckily for you nobody wants Cobalt rims, late model *** cars seem to be the targets lately along with European models.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:07 AM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,169 times
Wow, you can't say J A P , it gets blocked lol. The world of political correctness is amazing. I didn't know the short form of Japanese was offensive, this country is really f* cked.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 994 times
listen there is not much u can do to stop them from taken your wheels having a lock r not doesnt even help really just as much as u go buy the lock some place the thief's can go buy the same lock Infiniti, maxima, stock wheels use the same locks from the factory 2 main locks either a 5 star r 6 star chances r if the thief have 10 of each locks best believe one going fit.n if u go buy after market lock that stil dont help cos all they going do is blow the glass n find the key n take it out n use ur own key n take ur wheels less than a minute n ur wheels is off in a car n gone.

take it from me best way to slow them down get 2 r 3 different locks get ur lugs tighten to the max like really tight n park as close to the curb as possible so the wheel is hard to come off the car r impossible to put the jack underneath it to raise the car.infiniti maxima accord murano fx35, 370s yall aint safe u going get it if u dont protect ur stuff,r u can always take one of ur wheels in at nite mite just discourage emm.good luck

Old 09-24-2013, 06:02 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
All tire locks do is slow them down.

How to video:

Wheel lock lug nut removal without key - YouTube

How to Remove a Locking Wheel Nut WITHOUT the Key - YouTube

Old 09-24-2013, 06:03 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Just wait until winter, there will be threads on battery theft.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:04 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meemsone View Post
Newer accord
I've got an 06 Accord, but it has new wheels on it, the kind that come with the Accord Coupe. Knock on wood nothing happens to them...

It's been broken into twice in the last three years, but I don't even really care about that since they didn't take anything and I have a $0 deductible on my comprehensive coverage, so the only thing it cost me was the hour and a half it took to install a new window.

Old 09-26-2013, 03:06 PM

402 posts, read 811,246 times
get wheel locks if you are worried about this... In those videos which were cut they are just pretty much prying it off with the socket, and it took a fair amount of time... and 4 times to do that is a long time.. I wouldnt be worried with wheel locks...

Last edited by mps0909; 09-26-2013 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City