Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 AM

268 posts, read 340,583 times

Advertisements

Sometimes I feel as if all of the New Yorkers escaped and moved elsewhere. Anyone else feel that way?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 09:51 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Tourism keeps a lot of people employed.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,578,924 times
As I said in the other post where you made a similar comment: We are all tourists at some point somewhere. The money tourists spend significantly supports our city's economy. But I agree that the congestion gets frustrating and can create inconvenience in our lives. There are definitely certain easy things tourists can do to blend in better and help keep things moving! There have definitely been posts on this.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:53 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
yes! I work in midtown Manhattan and find it so beyond annoying up here. I always worked downtown and even though there were tourists there, it was different and not as irritating.

Here in midtown, you can barely get down the sidewalk. It's unbelievably frustrating to be trying to go out to lunch, or get to my bus to go home and have to push my way through these people.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,538,803 times
I'll worry more when tourists stop coming.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 AM

1,871 posts, read 4,265,887 times
If it takes you longer to get to your destination because of congestion, then you need to leave earlier.

All this tourism bashing is snobbery. Everyone has been a tourist at some point--I've seen plenty of New Yorkers in Hawaii getting in the way.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:45 AM

268 posts, read 340,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Tourism keeps a lot of people employed.
Of course, but how much is too much? That's the question. I remember several years ago there were tourists here, but you could still walk peacefully down the street. Now I find myself walking in the street to avoid the tourists as they stop in the middle of the street, blocking you and pointing at the irrelevant things. I don't even leave my office anymore except to go home. It's rare that I go out for walks because there are just too many tourists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
yes! I work in midtown Manhattan and find it so beyond annoying up here. I always worked downtown and even though there were tourists there, it was different and not as irritating.

Here in midtown, you can barely get down the sidewalk. It's unbelievably frustrating to be trying to go out to lunch, or get to my bus to go home and have to push my way through these people.
Yeah, it's become unbearable of late. Not only that, but the streets are filthy. If they're going to have so many people visiting, they should dedicate more monies to keeping the streets cleaned because there is garbage all over the place and stuff spilled everywhere. I fear that New York City will become like other tourist traps around the world where residents complain about too many tourists and their lack of respect for the city, not to mention the overall vibe of this place shifting significantly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
If it takes you longer to get to your destination because of congestion, then you need to leave earlier.

All this tourism bashing is snobbery. Everyone has been a tourist at some point--I've seen plenty of New Yorkers in Hawaii getting in the way.
There is no snobbery. The city is only so big and and too much of anything is no good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
I'll worry more when tourists stop coming.
Good point. I wonder what the next mayor will do. I keep hearing about job creation (and not actual low paying service jobs). There's enough of those here to last a life time. We need actual high paying jobs here that don't revolve around the financial sector or tourism. I don't know how these mayors claim that they're going to keep New Yorkers here if there's nothing but high paying jobs and low wage jobs and nothing else in between.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:12 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,294,560 times
Keep in mind August is high season for tourists. Also, tourists keep a lot of amenities that New Yorkers enjoy, i.e., theaters, sports teams, concert venues, museums, shops, bars, restaurants, cabs, etc., in business.

Broadway shows alone generate more than $10 billion in economic activity per year. Every other city in the country would love that kind of cash.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:17 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,292,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Keep in mind August is high season for tourists. Also, tourists keep a lot of amenities that New Yorkers enjoy, i.e., theaters, sports teams, concert venues, museums, shops, bars, restaurants, cabs, etc., in business.
And if you think it's rough now - wait till the holiday season starts.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:01 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,497,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K 22 View Post
And if you think it's rough now - wait till the holiday season starts.

It's true, it's like we don't get a break from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City