Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 09:34 AM

1,319 posts, read 4,248,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsbarr13 View Post
I'm young (20 yo) and I'm very determined to move to New York City from PA. I have $3500 saved up and I am an extremely frugal person. I have done alot of research and im positive i could get 3-4 months with this since I will probably be going with out a job lined up. That's not ideal for me but no one has called me back yet probably due to my out of state address. Basically what I'm looking for is some tips. My main concern is if I can even find a job before my money is gone. I have the most experience in restaurants and warehouse/dock(I know there is not many there). I also have to grocery experience. So any tips or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you
$3500 will not last you long at all in NYC. Even if you are very frugal and do stuff like room share. Why? Simple, your job choices will be challenging and min. wage you'll be paid for it, is going to suck. You'll be scraping by and literally living from paycheck to paycheck. Then years will pass by and you will be have a reality check where you go. What I have done with all my time.

It will only be worthwhile for you to come to NYC if you have a long-term goal whether that's attempting for career change, getting higher level of education, etc. Whatever that is, if you do not have that long term goal. With your job situation and type of job you have been doing, you are better off in states/towns that have much cheaper cost of living.

Honestly at 20 years old. Your biggest asset and weapon is your youth and age, determination. If you are only responsible for yourself, then you have a lot of path to do. Whether its to try a hand at being real estate agent, going to college, etc. Figure that out first before throwing yourself into NYC which can easily grind and spit people out due to high living costs.

As rough and brutal as I may make this sound. Reality is that you'll see some people who are bitter about time they spent and troll/complain about the city. As much as you'll see people who have succeeded or on their way to succeed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 09:39 AM

9 posts, read 38,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
Why do you want to move to NYC and what do you want to get out of your time here?
I visited a few times and absolutely loved it. I'm from a small town in the middle of corn fields. Mainly I want the change and lifestyle of living there. I'm not going there expecting it to be easy or make it big or live in luxury. Although possible I'm being realistic. I'm young now and want to go and try my hardest to make it work and if it doesn't well at least I tried to and I have something to fall back on in PA still. I know if I can get a job ill be alright. Ill even work 2 jobs if needed.

Old 08-28-2013, 09:41 AM

6,680 posts, read 8,235,184 times
If you want to come to NYC then do it. Just make sure you can afford your own bills. Either you will make it here or you won't. If you don't try you will never know. If you make it and love it, great. If you don't or hate it then go find a new adventure to live. Life is about choices.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Stay in PA. You have no business here unless you are a student.
Are you a student?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:32 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,241,325 times
Quote:
I visited a few times and absolutely loved it. I'm from a small town in the middle of corn fields. Mainly I want the change and lifestyle of living there. I'm not going there expecting it to be easy or make it big or live in luxury. Although possible I'm being realistic. I'm young now and want to go and try my hardest to make it work and if it doesn't well at least I tried to and I have something to fall back on in PA still. I know if I can get a job ill be alright. Ill even work 2 jobs if needed.
Have you considered Philly?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM

268 posts, read 480,896 times
I moved to NYC with no job and "made it".

It can happen... don't let people talk you out of it.

..and if you don't make it, you still have PA to go back home to and you can always say that you gave it a shot.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 14,068 times
Quote:
Im looking in Brooklyn. From what I have seen I should be able to find a room share for $500-600
Yeah i don't thing moving here is a great idea.Try somewhere else.New York is very rough I'm planning to leave this place soon to Florida because the winter can get pretty bad here.But if you are up for the job of living here it shouldn't be a hassle to find a job here.Either way good luck

Old 08-28-2013, 03:39 PM

912 posts, read 2,099,293 times
One thing to do would be to find a boxing gym that will let you clean the toilets to train there. Turn professional when your ready and you have instant income

Old 08-28-2013, 03:46 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,127,760 times
Do the math. It doesn't make any sense to come here for minimum wage types of jobs unless you have, say, artistic or musical talent and are coming because those industries are important here and you think you make strides in that career.

Do the math and you will see it doesn't make sense. And what I mean by do the math is really actually do the math.

You have to make a budget and to do that you can search the forum for "budget" threads. You can learn how much you will need for rent, and the amount it generally takes to move into a place. Also you need to budget for transportation, laundry, groceries, utilities including phone, taxes, entertainment, household goods, health care, dental care, haircuts, etc etc.

I think once you do the math and understand how expensive NYC is compared to, say, Philly or Pittsburgh, you will find you can't make it on minimum wage or the $10/hr. you'd make in the fields you mentioned. Others do make it here on that but it's because they live like 10 people to an apartment or something, or they live in subsidized housing, which you won't have access to.

Old 08-28-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Have you considered Philly?
I have yes. Isn't Philly still filled with crime. Everywhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City