Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 07:34 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

I like the Fort Wash strip. Always have, nice access to park quieter than surrounding area but let's not act like it's far from the more hood/less attractive areas. It's literally a block or two away from more hood areas. Not that I think Washington Heights is bad anyway. Lol. It's pretty tame these days. I haven't felt unsafe there in years. The main deterrent for Washington Heights and much of Upper Manhattan is lingering QOL issues, noise, littering, loitering etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM

44 posts, read 83,158 times
There's definitely signs of improvement near 145th. I did notice a lot of vacant storefronts though, which did make the area seem like an undesirable area to be in.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:28 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Commercially the area is in a bit of limbo and is in a transition period. I've seen a lot of the bodegas get replaced with newer more spiffy looking Deli's. A lot of the mom and pop type places had to close a couple of years back when it seemed like the landlords really aggressively upped the rent. Area has always been kinda lacking shopping wise so frankly there's no way it's going to get worse.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:10 PM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
Just a brief update/note about development in the area:

Harlem Public came in almost a year ago and has been packed/extremely successful so far. As-a-result of this and the beginning gentrification of the neighborhood's west side, the West Clothing store next to Harlem Public closed in the spring. I'm sure the landlord increased the rent beyond their reach.

Anyway, I heard from the Chipped Cup on the same block as Harlem Public that this vacant space right next door is soon to be home to a "divey hipster bar."

So, rapidly, the stretch between 145-150 Streets on Broadway is becoming gentrified and slanted more towards the young, educated, trendy crowd. Granted, it's in its early stages, but is happening and will be much more rapidly as long as the overall economy is strong.

Once Columbia University's residential tower on 148/Broadway opens and its campus about 15 blocks south, the area is only headed up and up.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:36 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Just a brief update/note about development in the area:

Harlem Public came in almost a year ago and has been packed/extremely successful so far. As-a-result of this and the beginning gentrification of the neighborhood's west side, the West Clothing store next to Harlem Public closed in the spring. I'm sure the landlord increased the rent beyond their reach.

Anyway, I heard from the Chipped Cup on the same block as Harlem Public that this vacant space right next door is soon to be home to a "divey hipster bar."

So, rapidly, the stretch between 145-150 Streets on Broadway is becoming gentrified and slanted more towards the young, educated, trendy crowd. Granted, it's in its early stages, but is happening and will be much more rapidly as long as the overall economy is strong.

Once Columbia University's residential tower on 148/Broadway opens and its campus about 15 blocks south, the area is only headed up and up.
I still wouldn't call it gentrified. The area always slanted toward the young, educated, trendy crowd, they just were not White. Many of these types that have always been attracted to the area had to go outside of the area for these types of establishments in the past.

Hamilton Heights always attracted families that were interested in education but didn't have wealth. The same type of people in the same economic classes are moving in now. Educated, many in Grad school, etc.

It has passable public schools, parochial schools, and City College. It is also home to Harlem School of the Arts, The Dance Theater of Harlem, and the Children's Art Carnival. Columbia was always a presence because they have many activities and educational programs for young people. The main campus and medical center are very close by.

Hamilton Heights is also home to many large established churches.

Last edited by DAS; 09-17-2013 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-17-2013, 03:38 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Commercially the area is in a bit of limbo and is in a transition period. I've seen a lot of the bodegas get replaced with newer more spiffy looking Deli's. A lot of the mom and pop type places had to close a couple of years back when it seemed like the landlords really aggressively upped the rent. Area has always been kinda lacking shopping wise so frankly there's no way it's going to get worse.
Alot of the delis have the same owners, they just renovated. Now you don't have to walk or get on the bus and go down to the Columbia campus area to get things, you can just buy them closer to home.

Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 PM

44 posts, read 83,158 times
Sorry for the late response. I'm thinking of living around this area. However, I noticed that there's a sewage treatment plant built below the Riverbank State Park near 145th & Broadway. Is this ever something that residents nearby are concerned about? Smells? Risk of explosion?

Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
Sorry for the late response. I'm thinking of living around this area. However, I noticed that there's a sewage treatment plant built below the Riverbank State Park near 145th & Broadway. Is this ever something that residents nearby are concerned about? Smells? Risk of explosion?
I live within sight of it and never really notice it. The park there is actually really quite nice ([insert joke about fertilizer here]).

A year or two ago, there was some sort of problem that resulted in sewage being let into the Hudson, and there was a smell for a couple of days, but I think that's been about it.

Although I have a pretty terrible sense of smell, so take that with a grain of salt....

Old 10-04-2013, 07:40 PM

6,885 posts, read 9,928,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
I live within sight of it and never really notice it. The park there is actually really quite nice ([insert joke about fertilizer here]).

A year or two ago, there was some sort of problem that resulted in sewage being let into the Hudson, and there was a smell for a couple of days, but I think that's been about it.

Although I have a pretty terrible sense of smell, so take that with a grain of salt....
We do not live in sight of it but not so far away, and we never smelled anything either.
There were news stories about the spill that the OP could check out.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:41 PM

213 posts, read 508,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityLittleMan View Post
The stench from the sewage plant was definitely an issue during the early years of Riverbank. I used to live right across the street from the park and was there for its May, 1993 opening. They eventually took care of that though. The history of the sewage plant and Riverbank is really interesting if you read about it: Hamilton Heights got stuck with a massive sewage plant that nobody else wanted, and as a consolation got Riverbank Park, which took much longer to construct and open than originally planned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City