Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 12:44 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn_Leaves12345 View Post
Lhota received less votes than Weiner. Why is he even on the ticket? It's such a joke.
registered Republicans in NYC are as common as moose sightings in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 12:49 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,540,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNY...DirtyStayOut View Post
Amen brother. The poor here don't know what poor is. Flat screen tv's, cell phones, computers etc. plus welfare, food credit, housing, any number of programs. Honestly, like you I'm sick of seeing my check raped every week. I couldnt care less about them

DSNY a precious little of your paycheck is used to fund programs for the poor. Medicaid. Loads of rich people in nursing homes. Food stamps...federal which actually helps the city. Catsimaditis can tell you all about that. Section 8...no longer exists.

You ought to be more upset that your federal taxes pay defense contractors to manufacture items at 10X thei true cost as they get crony contracts....and ditto for rich farmjers paid not to plant crops...and of cours ethat little secret that no one talks about...that rich Middle Eastern country called Israel which recives huge amounts of financial support from the USA. Our llargest recipient of foreign aid.

I very much doubt that flat screen TVs come from your paycheck. Maybe your friends should stop buying weed because that is more likely the source.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:50 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
I don't expect the system to "collapse" because of the rich "fleeing".

Why is everyone so extreme on here?
I don't think it will happen, either. I was just saying if it does, I won't care for the reasons I've already stated.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
I would have no problem if rich people up and left NYC. Why should I care that they state here? Where they chose to live is ultimately not my problem.

You do, but you dont know this. Detroit must be a truly wonderful city. Or try East St Louis, or Camden. All down and out places with no tax base.

Like it or not the 1% in NYC earn 33% of the income, but pay 40% of the income taxes. The richest 10% pay 70% of the income taxes.

So next time we get 2' of snow in January and the snow plows arrive in MArch you will know why.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
DSNY a precious little of your paycheck is used to fund programs for the poor. Medicaid. Loads of rich people in nursing homes. Food stamps...federal. Seection 8...no longer exists.

You ought to be more upset that your federal taxes pay defense contractors to manufacture items at 10X thei true cost as they get crony contracts....and ditto for rich farmjers paid not to plant crops...and of cours ethat little secret that no one talks about...that rich Middle Eastern country called Israel which recives huge amounts of financial support from the USA. Our llargest recipient of foreign aid.

I very much doubt that flat screen TVs come from your paycheck. Maybe your friends should stop buying weed because that is more likely the source.
There are still a lot of people on Section 8. It exists. There are other housing subsidies and other housing programs out there. NYCHA, HRA rental assistance, LAMP, etc.

A lot of low end drug dealers do have their rent paid for by the government . Now they may well weed to buy the consumer items they need, as their welfare alone isn't enough to buy a flat screen tv.

I understand why DSNY is upset. The bottom line is he works to support himself, and he is unhappy seeing people who get everything paid for free. There is a lot of that around.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Anyone who understands economics even a little cares a LOT about the rich fleeing NYC.

If I were mayor I would make studying Economics 101 MANDATORY in order to graduate, just based on the ignorance that we see here.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
DSNY a precious little of your paycheck is used to fund programs for the poor. Medicaid. Loads of rich people in nursing homes. Food stamps...federal which actually helps the city. Catsimaditis can tell you all about that. Section 8...no longer exists.

Agreed with everything you said believe or not up until your last sentence. I over simplified my rant, but waste in general is what pisses me off, we are over taxed and waste is rampant. Whether it's welfare, bridges to nowhere, or foreign aid. You reference to drug dealing financing these lowlifes tv's and such is correct, but that's part of the underground economy and doesn't prevent them from collecting a government check. That is something that somehow must be investigated, I wouldn't know where to begin.

And finally, I dont associate with pot heads or addicts. Drugs and users repulse me, I live a clean life carib. We don't agree on much, but economics we are close.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Nobody cares about anybody, apart from themselves, and theur families, and maybe their friends. Do you think that the Dominican super market owners (few of whom are in the 1%) care about their employees? NO! Their primary concern is about feeding their families and developing sufficient wealth so that they can feel secure.

What suggestions do you have? You do know that the wealthy business owner can generate income in any jurisdiction where they wish and will not pay taxes unless they chose to.

You also do know that many will be quite willing to relocate their Private Equity and Hedge Fund companies to Greenwich, CT. So instead of getting additional income tax from them you get ZERO.

And you do know that a very high % of the revenues that NYC/NYS generate to provide services to the poor come from the financial and real estate sectors.
Small businesses are far less likey to pay benefits like medical, retirement, etc. In many cases their employees maybe living in the projects or on programs. So obviously you're better off working for larger businesses/institutions that pay all these things.

I am not convinced this would happen, but if all these business you suggest fled NYC, so what? Yes, the city's budget would go way down ,and the city wouldn't be able to spend as much on social programs. So a lot of people would have to leave to survive. Big deal!

I don't know why people here are trying to hold a screwed up system together so bad. If the current system in NYC favors either those who are filthy rich or those who are social programs, why should working people care to preserve it?

Old 09-13-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
You should care more about the middle class not fleeing than the rich..
Tell you what. When the tax base in a city shrivels the middle class flee right a way because they will certainly not live in a filthy city with no cops. The poor will stay as they have no choice. But you bet the poor of Trenton wish that they could leave.

yes we do have an issue with affordability and poor schools in NYC. But how does encouraging the rich to STAY IN NYC,k but to shift their income to other states help anybody.

Like it or not jobs are created when people invest and neither poor nor middle class people have the disposable income or wealth to do this to the scale taht qcity with 8.4 million people needs.

Get this through your head. This is 2013. The rich do not have to move to avoid high NYC/NYS taxes. All they need do is shift their income elsewhere. A simple key stroke, and the setting up of offices in other states and the purchase of real estate used to establish residency.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinxBolling View Post
NYC already has some of the highest taxes in America and the rich live here anyway, because they can afford it and they want to. A miniscule increase in the top marginal tax bracket is not suddenly going to change that.

Hmmmm. Governor Patterson told the hedge fund guys to pay more taxes. The DEMOCRATIC governor of CT told them to come over to Greenwich. NYS promptly canceled that demand. They know that the folks will stay in Park Ave penthouses but their expensive lawyers and CPAs will show that their income is generated in CT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City