Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 05:26 PM

7 posts, read 18,713 times

Advertisements

I'm a 21 yr old single female wanting to move to NY (from down south). I'm not sure how to go about moving there, so I was hoping to get some advice. I was thinking about searching for a roommate (on craigslist or roommates.com) to move in with. But this girl I work with (she's from NY) says it's a bad idea to move in with a stranger because there's a lot of "weird" and "crazy" ppl in NY? In other words, I shouldn't trust anyone there?... She says it's better for me to move there with someone I know, and get my own apt. Or don't move there at all! Problem is, I don't know anyone in NY, nor do I know of anyone who's willing to move there with me. I would never be able to afford the rent (deposit etc.) all by myself, so moving there and getting my own place is kinda out of the question. The thought of moving 1,000s of miles away from my home, in a place where I know no one is really daunting, lol. But I feel like I really need to do this. I'm not married, nor do I have kids, so I feel like this is the perfect time in my life.

I was just curious as to how many ppl have actually moved there with a roommate they met online. Is it really a bad idea? Or is my co-worker exaggerating?

IDK, I guess I'm so nervous about moving there all by myself, I just want to hear other ppl's opinions (even though I know what I already think). My family think it's a TERRIBLE idea, lol (mainly my parents, tho). But that's completely understandable. I'm a tiny female who's been sheltered most of my life. If it were up to them, they'd keep me in a bubble (for the rest of my life) so nothing could ever happen to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 06:57 PM

939 posts, read 3,386,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope1218 View Post
But this girl I work with (she's from NY) says it's a bad idea to move in with a stranger because there's a lot of "weird" and "crazy" ppl in NY?
There's a lot of weird crazy people everywhere. You don't have to come to NY to find them.

It's like dating, there are creeps and jerks everywhere but that doesn't mean you shouldn't date. Do the roommate search and when you find something you like exchange a few emails, talk to them on the phone, look at their facebook page, and look at their friends facebook pages. After viewing all of that you'll have a fairly good idea about what type of person they are.

The VAST majority of people are "normal" and just trying to get by in the big city. Don't be afraid to pursue your dreams.

Old 01-13-2010, 07:07 PM

477 posts, read 1,407,107 times
I know people who found roommates on craigs list and it worked out fine, some not so much, but even in those cases it wasn't anything terrible just a conflict of lifestyle. When I mean lifestyle, I'm talking about one person has a party every weekend there and the other needs to study or sleep before going to work, things like that.

I don't think its such a bad idea if you have the chance to meet the person beforehand and chat a bit. The only thing I would be concerned about is the fact that you could get stuck with the rent if your name is on the lease and the other person bails. Its expensive enough to have your own share, nevermind having to pay another's.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:43 AM

582 posts, read 763,846 times
I don't want to discourage you. You can always come to NY and pursue your dream but your co-worker is RIGHT. I have shared with strangers before and it was hell. make sure you screen people very carefully when you meet with them. Ask a lot of questions, and if or when they expect frequent guests or overnight guests. if you are allergic to pets, you need to stay away from people who have them. Also, find out about the " bathroom schedule", especially if you will share with more than one person. I have had people come to my room while I was away and steal stuff so always lock your door if you are not there. I hope you will find someone who YOU KNOW or a FAMILY FRIEND to share with. it is much easier than sharing with strangers. you could start on short sublease with the option to renew or extend if you like it. never put yourself on a one year lease with a stranger. you will also have to search the neighborhoods to make sure you will live in a safe one. good luck to you.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM

749 posts, read 2,455,843 times
Do you have a job lined up? That's the first thing to worry about - competing with the tons of highly qualified locals who have been out of a job for months in one of the worst job markets in history. Do you have a skill set that can convince an employer to take a risk on you before hiring a local candidate that is already established in New York? Your income will dictate how comfortably you'll be able to live in New York. If you don't earn that much, let's say under $50K, then you really don't have any other choice but to get roommates in the outer boroughs.

Old 01-15-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biskit View Post
Do you have a job lined up? That's the first thing to worry about - competing with the tons of highly qualified locals who have been out of a job for months in one of the worst job markets in history. Do you have a skill set that can convince an employer to take a risk on you before hiring a local candidate that is already established in New York? Your income will dictate how comfortably you'll be able to live in New York. If you don't earn that much, let's say under $50K, then you really don't have any other choice but to get roommates in the outer boroughs.
No, I do not have a job lined up. I don't plan on moving there til March (or maybe april). And when you say "outer boroughs" you mean the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn-- right? (I get a little confused with the boroughs thing. I'm only familiar with the terms city, town, county and parish, lol). If so, I don't mind. I don't intend on living anywhere where rent is $2,000 a month, lol. As long as there's transportation nearby, I'm pretty much fine.

But back to the job thing, that's also a huge concern. I was talkin to this one guy from NY (on the internet) and he said it was pretty easy to get a job there. I live in a small city. So there's not a whole lot going on where I live. So of course there's not as many jobs available. Even in this recession, I'd STILL have a MUCH better chance of finding employment in NY-- believe me! Where I live, you either work at Wal-mart, McDonalds, this calling center. OR, you're in the military; or retired...
I was reading one thread where someone suggusted getting a P.O. box before arriving there and just using that address on my job applications (although I've never heard of anyone using a P.O. address on a job app?). I don't have a degree in anything, so I realize that may make finding a job a little more difficult (or maybe not). I'm trying to be positive here.
Thanks for responding, though!

Old 01-15-2010, 12:58 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,205 times
Quote:
No, I do not have a job lined up. I don't plan on moving there til March (or maybe april). And when you say "outer boroughs" you mean the Bronx, Queens or Brooklyn-- right? (I get a little confused with the boroughs thing. I'm only familiar with the terms city, town, county and parish, lol). If so, I don't mind. I don't intend on living anywhere where rent is $2,000 a month, lol. As long as there's transportation nearby, I'm pretty much fine.

But back to the job thing, that's also a huge concern. I was talkin to this one guy from NY (on the internet) and he said it was pretty easy to get a job there. I live in a small city. So there's not a whole lot going on where I live. So of course there's not as many jobs available. Even in this recession, I'd STILL have a MUCH better chance of finding employment in NY-- believe me! Where I live, you either work at Wal-mart, McDonalds, this calling center. OR, you're in the military; or retired...
I was reading one thread where someone suggusted getting a P.O. box before arriving there and just using that address on my job applications (although I've never heard of anyone using a P.O. address on a job app?). I don't have a degree in anything, so I realize that may make finding a job a little more difficult (or maybe not). I'm trying to be positive here.

Actually it is quite difficult to find a job ESPECIALLY if you have no degree... basically you will have the same job options that you have wherever you are from: retail or restaurant. And many of these places require high volume experience. I work in corporate for a high end clothing line and even our sales people have college degrees.

I would rethink your move

Old 01-15-2010, 03:13 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,684,170 times
I'm torn as to whether to encourage you or discourage you.

People do move in with roommates they barely know all the time, often through Craigslist nowadays, and it's usually not a disaster. In fact, it can be fantastic to have a roommate when you're new here, especially someone with a different background. People here do often seem "weird" because they're not forced to conform they way they often are elsewhere. They may have different habits, different speech patterns, different styles, and different interests from what you're used to. If that scares you, you shouldn't be here. But most of us enjoy that diversity.

However, it's also true that this is not necessarily a good city for people with no skills or degrees. Sometimes you might get a lucky break, but keep in mind that the best educated, best skilled people flock to NYC, so that's what you're up against. At the very least, you should acquire some office skills as a fall-back.

If you do come, try to come with a stack of money until you get settled. You probably can't get a job until you come here. People who get hired before arriving usually manage that because they have such sterling resumes. But you might consider getting a short-term sublet situation (especially easier if you arrive in the summer), and then get lucky with finding a roommate via work, which is what happened to me.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Actually it is quite difficult to find a job ESPECIALLY if you have no degree... basically you will have the same job options that you have wherever you are from: retail or restaurant. And many of these places require high volume experience. I work in corporate for a high end clothing line and even our sales people have college degrees.

I would rethink your move
So what are all the ppl without degrees doing? Are they all unemployed and recieving welfare or something? Lol. I laugh, but that's a serious question. Oh, and there IS a difference between working in retail (or any job for that matter) in a small town versus a big city: there's more businesses, thus you have more options. And I don't have a problem working in retail (or at a restaurant). I realize everything there is higher, but that's why I plan on getting a roommate

Old 01-15-2010, 03:38 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:

Why New York?
I would first spend a short vacation and check if I like it at all. Considering you were raised in a small place, you may not like it. I know many who want to stay as far as possible...
Crazy people - there are plenty of them, but your REAL concern should be about jobs. If you cannot land a job, you cannot stay, so no need to worry about crazy people.
The guy who says its easy to find jobs in NYC - he either doesn't know, or he is a liar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City