Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 04:22 PM

34,001 posts, read 47,230,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
bedford and lenox is a few blocks from SUNY downstate... at least in the 90s it was considered east flatbush. dont know what the real estate people are branding it to get white transplants to move there.
Nostrand is the dividing line between Flatbush and East Flatbush.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
i stand corrected. for years i assumed anything in that area east of flatbush was East Flatbush.silly me. its been decades since i lived there and i don't miss one moment of it.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
i stand corrected. for years i assumed anything in that area east of flatbush was East Flatbush.silly me. its been decades since i lived there and i don't miss one moment of it.
Totally understand. It's a wild part of town - especially this weekend. lol

Old 08-30-2013, 04:37 PM

4,840 posts, read 9,910,603 times
Is "Prospect Lefferts Gardens" really a neighborhood? Or just a name real estate agents are pushing to try to get yuppies to take it over? I always considered the area south of the park to be Flatbush.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
Is "Prospect Lefferts Gardens" really a neighborhood? Or just a name real estate agents are pushing to try to get yuppies to take it over? I always considered the area south of the park to be Flatbush.
It is a sub-neighborhood of Flatbush. For at least 40 years. Flatbush is a huge neighborhood. It has many sub-neighborhoods in it, including Prospect-Lefferts Gardens, Prospect Park South, Fiske Terrace, Ditmas Park, I'm sure I missed a few.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:49 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,117,398 times
Quote:
bedford and lenox is a few blocks from SUNY downstate... at least in the 90s it was considered east flatbush. dont know what the real estate people are branding it to get white transplants to move there.
SUNY Downstate is not in Lefferts Gardens. It is nearby, though.

But actually you might be right about the intersection of Lenox and Bedford being outside of Lefferts Garden boundaries. According to this NY Times article from 25 years ago, the boundaries were considered to be:
bordered by Empire Boulevard on the north, Clarkson Avenue on the south, Ocean Avenue and Prospect Park on the west and New York Avenue on the east, is derived from a large and vibrant West Indian community. IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN; Prospect Lefferts Gardens, September 1986

Also it looks like the official NYC neighborhood map shows Prospect Lefferts as above Parkside Ave; Lenox is below Parkside. City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

In that case, I take back what I said about liking this area. The parts I remember liking were actually in prime Lefferts Gardens, further north than Lenox (like for example Lefferts Ave). Actually I remember walking once on Martense which is even two blocks further south than Lenox and I got a not-so-nice feeling. But then, this was 2005-2006 so I don't know if it's still like that.

I have been to the SUNY Downstate area twice in the past few months but I was a passenger in a car and it's much harder to get a sense of the place when you're just riding by.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
SUNY Downstate is not in Lefferts Gardens. It is nearby, though.

But actually you might be right about the intersection of Lenox and Bedford being outside of Lefferts Garden boundaries. According to this NY Times article from 25 years ago, the boundaries were considered to be:
bordered by Empire Boulevard on the north, Clarkson Avenue on the south, Ocean Avenue and Prospect Park on the west and New York Avenue on the east, is derived from a large and vibrant West Indian community. IF YOU'RE THINKING OF LIVING IN; Prospect Lefferts Gardens, September 1986

Also it looks like the official NYC neighborhood map shows Prospect Lefferts as above Parkside Ave; Lenox is below Parkside. City of Neighborhoods - New York City Department of City Planning

In that case, I take back what I said about liking this area. The parts I remember liking were actually in prime Lefferts Gardens, further north than Lenox (like for example Lefferts Ave). Actually I remember walking once on Martense which is even two blocks further south than Lenox and I got a not-so-nice feeling. But then, this was 2005-2006 so I don't know if it's still like that.

I have been to the SUNY Downstate area twice in the past few months but I was a passenger in a car and it's much harder to get a sense of the place when you're just riding by.
Martense Street is bonafide Flatbush. That's the hood. PLG starts at Clarkson Avenue like you said. I have fond memories of 140 Clarkson Avenue back in the 1980s; I had family that lived there.

Old 06-16-2016, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
I've lived in Flatbush all my life. Born and raised in the hood. It's way safer now to live there. I've seen a lot of things happen as a young girl. Lost a lot of friends, too.
Mama, get you some mace and/or a taser. Pay attention to the energies around you as you walk around. Avoid being out late as much as you can and if you can't avoid that, again...order mace or a taser. I should warn you that Kings County's Mental ward isn't too far in the distance. Which is why people are walking around punching other people. Raise your awareness and don't look like a tourist.

Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
Bedford Avenue and Lenox is technically where East Flatbush starts. The 67th precinct, which covers East Flatbush, covers over there and going east. Bedford Ave is the outermost western border for East Flatbush. Not Nostrand, not Rogers, not New York Ave, but Bedford. Just look at the 67th precinct and Community Board 17 map...

Old 03-02-2017, 01:07 PM

546 posts, read 763,592 times
Flatbush is mostly 90% African American area. It's red in crime map

best bet is Staten Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City