Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 04:21 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
They do? I work a lucrative professional job and two of my peers (on my team of six) are native New Yorkers. Companies hire the best fit for the job.
It's an employer's market. They will hire the BEST candidate. THey will also hold out until they come across the BEST candidate. Similar to landowners, they will wait until they have the BEST candidate (ie; the person with the deepest pockets).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 06:36 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,048,523 times
Liver or Kidney?

Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 AM

756 posts, read 2,278,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
It's an employer's market. They will hire the BEST candidate. THey will also hold out until they come across the BEST candidate. Similar to landowners, they will wait until they have the BEST candidate (ie; the person with the deepest pockets).
Yes, is that not exactly what I said?

My point was that "transplants" aren't taking away professional jobs for native NYers—if a native NYer is well-qualified.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:49 AM

11,198 posts, read 9,074,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
Yes, is that not exactly what I said?

My point was that "transplants" aren't taking away professional jobs for native NYers—if a native NYer is well-qualified.
i know. i was adding to it.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 AM

2,691 posts, read 4,328,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Hmmm. My grief with Transplants is that they take the lucrative professional jobs away from native New Yorkers. They folks make NYC very unlivable and way to competitive but also expensive.

100% false. If you are a QUALIFIED native NYer you are on equal footing for these "lucrative professional jobs". Many people that I've worked with, done business with, or are friends with are from the boroughs or surrounding suburbs. The reason they get these jobs is because the are EDUCATED and have the proper experience or connections. They all went to very good colleges and grad school, have solid degrees, and have no problem finding and keeping jobs. Add to that all of the transplant haters on here would probably assume that their Mac Book typing, latte drinking and brunch eating habits mark them as transplants. I can assure they are not.

Old 09-01-2013, 02:01 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2k View Post
100% false. If you are a QUALIFIED native NYer you are on equal footing for these "lucrative professional jobs". Many people that I've worked with, done business with, or are friends with are from the boroughs or surrounding suburbs. The reason they get these jobs is because the are EDUCATED and have the proper experience or connections. They all went to very good colleges and grad school, have solid degrees, and have no problem finding and keeping jobs. Add to that all of the transplant haters on here would probably assume that their Mac Book typing, latte drinking and brunch eating habits mark them as transplants. I can assure they are not.
I'm not a Transplant hate, actually I am good friends with Transplants and even attend some of the same cultural venues as Transplants. Please don't feel offended. I know plenty of people as well as relatives and close friends who work in the private sec and most of their colleagues are not native to NYC, to some degree some are from the surrounding suburbs but to a greater degree their younger colleagues are from out of town. In matter of fact I know of a buddy who is an high school dropout working in private sector, his department over the ten years has become increasingly Transplantish, same story for a relative. Have you ever been on the LIRR and Metro North during the morning and afternoon coming in and out of the city, its jammed pack, everyone with their business suites.

Oh yeah, I was in Fort Green yesterday, totally disgusting, walked passed Fort Green Park on Myrtle saw a chick throwing up, she clearly is standing right next to a garbage can but decides to throw up besides it. In plenty of these hip and trendy zones across the city I have noticed more and more vomit in these parts of the city like Village, LES, Williamsburg. On the bright side I see less dog poop, Transplants pick up after their dogs but locals do not, especially local children who walk dogs! But the vomit is just disgusting!

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-01-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 02:06 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post

This is very true and I have been telling people this for the past few years. Like the real estate industry which is a buyers market in this city, the job industry at the moment is an employers market, and will employ the best and only the best. Employers set the terms to a greater degree on what they want or need. A generation ago NYC used to be an employees market. WHen will NYC be an employees market again, only time will tell!

Old 09-01-2013, 02:31 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm not a Transplant hate, actually I am good friends with Transplants and even attend some of the same cultural venues as Transplants. Please don't feel offended. I know plenty of people as well as relatives and close friends who work in the private sec and most of their colleagues are not native to NYC, to some degree some are from the surrounding suburbs but to a greater degree their younger colleagues are from out of town. In matter of fact I know of a buddy who is an high school dropout working in private sector, his department over the ten years has become increasingly Transplantish, same story for a relative. Have you ever been on the LIRR and Metro North during the morning and afternoon coming in and out of the city, its jammed pack, everyone with their business suites.

Oh yeah, I was in Fort Green yesterday, totally disgusting, walked passed Fort Green Park on Myrtle saw a chick throwing up, she clearly is standing right next to a garbage can but decides to throw up besides it. In plenty of these hip and trendy zones across the city I have noticed more and more vomit in these parts of the city like Village, LES, Williamsburg. On the bright side I see less dog poop, Transplants pick up after their dogs but locals do not, especially local children who walk dogs! But the vomit is just disgusting!
Gross. Was she definitely a transplant though? Like, did she have Michigan or Kentucky tags on her somehow?

Old 09-01-2013, 02:58 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,566,648 times
Lol, just so you know even some transplants don't care for other transplants. Not all of them, but a certain segment annoy me. The really young and entitled ones who think they are going to be the next Carrie Bradshaw or whatever. Carrie's shoe closet was estimated at being worth over 1 million. The average writer makes 60K. It's probably not going to happen for them lol. They seem to think being rude somehow makes them cool. It doesn't. It's a sign of complete insecurity. Also, I don't like having to be hypercompetitive just to make rent and survive. I actually just moved to the Bronx and I make about double what I made living in Manhattan with roommates. I have a nice, lofty true 1 bedroom I don't have to share with anyone and am surrounded by natives. I wish I'd come up here sooner. Live and learn. I'm sure they'll all turn up their noses at it as it isn't 'hip' and 'trendy'. I just like normal rents and normal priced drinks at normal bars with normal non-vomiting people. It's a nice change of pace at the end of the work day and I still have money left in my pocket. Amazing. They can have Williamsburg, East Village, LES and all of that. If they think it makes them better than me, so be it. Somehow it seems to beat living like I'm in Communist China, 5 to a place. There is nothing cool about that.

Last edited by EastBoundandDownChick; 09-01-2013 at 03:14 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 03:05 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,327,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Lol, just so you know even some transplants don't care for other transplants. Not all of them, but a certain segment annoy me. The really young and entitled ones who think they are going to be the next Carrie Bradshaw or whatever. That think being rude somehow makes them cool. Also, I don't like having to be hypercompetitive to make rent and survive. Sometimes I just wish the city would turn it down a notch. It would make daily living more tolerable.
That or other cities can turn it up a few notches which would be preferable. There are plenty of cities that can be great in the US--they just need to figure that crap out. Portland, SF, Nashville, and Austin get a lot of those trend-hunting folks. It'd be nice if we can generate that kind of hype for a lot of the rustbelt cities.

Someone start papering Williamsburg and Bushwick about the awesome promises of Detroit, and where they can really find something edgy there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City