Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:38 PM

217 posts, read 680,965 times

Advertisements

I just moved into 4545 Center Blvd, one of the new towers in LIC. There's 3 of use on the lease, for a 2 bedroom. I was surprised that they only provided us with 2 sets of keys to the apartment and 2 key fobs for the amenities (which they charge monthly for). They had told us during the leasing process that we would get 3 sets. Now they want to charge us about $100 bucks for the 3rd set.

Is that legit? I mean, we do have 3 people on the lease; it's at least reasonable to assume we'd get keys per person. In particular, the key fob to the amenities seems a bit weird since we're paying for 3 people to have access.

I know it's not a ton of money, but it just seems silly to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 12:30 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,841,702 times
Any locksmith will make you a copy of your keys for $3-$6.
So, you don't have to ask your landlord for the 3rd set for $100.00. Just move on.

Old 09-01-2013, 01:22 AM

2,896 posts, read 9,813,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manchesterUnited View Post
I just moved into 4545 Center Blvd, one of the new towers in LIC. There's 3 of use on the lease, for a 2 bedroom. I was surprised that they only provided us with 2 sets of keys to the apartment and 2 key fobs for the amenities (which they charge monthly for). They had told us during the leasing process that we would get 3 sets. Now they want to charge us about $100 bucks for the 3rd set.

Is that legit? I mean, we do have 3 people on the lease; it's at least reasonable to assume we'd get keys per person. In particular, the key fob to the amenities seems a bit weird since we're paying for 3 people to have access.

I know it's not a ton of money, but it just seems silly to me.
You are the one thinking silly. You are NOT paying for 3 people!! That is absurd!

You have rented and have paid for a 2 Bedroom apartment. Nothing more. The apartment is not rented by the "person", it is not a hotel!

The number of keys and fobs allowed and the associated costs for such, again, is NOT determined by the number of occupants. Rather the developer *designs* the apartment and its undelying costs for a determined level of use. Generally, a two bedroom is designed the use of two adults NOT three!

Any additional costs NOT designed and determined by the developer is born by the renter(s), as approved by the LL. You want a third set, YOU pay for it! Yes, they said you w/get three, they just did not say you'd have to pay. Apparently, you assumed no associated cost and didn't ask.

Yes, you pay for the "amenities", but the fee considers the wear, tear, and upkeep of the amenities, NOT the cost of the fobs, beyond the allowed number per apartment.

Note, unlimited keys and fobs, given the cost, would likely result in higher fees and/or rent. If there were four of you, should the developer/LL bear the costs of four sets of keys and fobs? He could cut his costs, by restricting occupancy to two, couldn't he. Then where would you be? The LL would still have a rented apartment, just to somebody else!

Old 09-01-2013, 06:31 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I have never gotten more than one apartment key and one mailbox key and had to make copies until this place where they gave us 2 of each.
Then I added a drop-bolt from Home Depot (which also came with 2 keys.)

(Which reminds me...I should make an emergency set.)

Old 09-01-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoltrane View Post
You are the one thinking silly. You are NOT paying for 3 people!! That is absurd!

You have rented and have paid for a 2 Bedroom apartment. Nothing more. The apartment is not rented by the "person", it is not a hotel!

The number of keys and fobs allowed and the associated costs for such, again, is NOT determined by the number of occupants. Rather the developer *designs* the apartment and its undelying costs for a determined level of use. Generally, a two bedroom is designed the use of two adults NOT three!

Any additional costs NOT designed and determined by the developer is born by the renter(s), as approved by the LL. You want a third set, YOU pay for it! Yes, they said you w/get three, they just did not say you'd have to pay. Apparently, you assumed no associated cost and didn't ask.

Yes, you pay for the "amenities", but the fee considers the wear, tear, and upkeep of the amenities, NOT the cost of the fobs, beyond the allowed number per apartment.

Note, unlimited keys and fobs, given the cost, would likely result in higher fees and/or rent. If there were four of you, should the developer/LL bear the costs of four sets of keys and fobs? He could cut his costs, by restricting occupancy to two, couldn't he. Then where would you be? The LL would still have a rented apartment, just to somebody else!
Are you serious? You must be a leasing agent, you're very quick to make assumptions to cater to the leasing office's pov. We were explicitly told we would get 3 sets, and we wouldn't have to pay extra.

I have lived in several towers, across the country, and I have never seen an amenities fee not include the cost of the key fob, to gain access to said amenities. It doesn't make sense that the cost of the fob would be included in anything other than the cost of the amenities, because they are optional. I could not pay for them, and not get the key fob.

Don't straw man me, I didn't say we should get unlimited keys and fobs. Asking for a set per occupant that applied and was approved to be on the lease, seems very reasonable.

Yes, they building could have refused to allow 3 people in a 2 bedroom, which would've been fine. But they didn't, they approved 3. And again, they told us we'd all get keys, no extra charge.

You're comparison to hotels also makes little sense. Hotels charge by room, with a max occupancy. This is identical for apartments. The rent is fixed, regardless of 1 person or 4 people. It's the same situation in that regard.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:21 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
Quote:
Are you serious? You must be a leasing agent, you're very quick to make assumptions to cater to the leasing office's pov. We were explicitly told we would get 3 sets, and we wouldn't have to pay extra.

I have lived in several towers, across the country, and I have never seen an amenities fee not include the cost of the key fob, to gain access to said amenities. It doesn't make sense that the cost of the fob would be included in anything other than the cost of the amenities, because they are optional. I could not pay for them, and not get the key fob.

Don't straw man me, I didn't say we should get unlimited keys and fobs. Asking for a set per occupant that applied and was approved to be on the lease, seems very reasonable.

Yes, they building could have refused to allow 3 people in a 2 bedroom, which would've been fine. But they didn't, they approved 3. And again, they told us we'd all get keys, no extra charge.

You're comparison to hotels also makes little sense. Hotels charge by room, with a max occupancy. This is identical for apartments. The rent is fixed, regardless of 1 person or 4 people. It's the same situation in that regard.
Are you sure they said you would get 3 sets of keys WITH NO EXTRA CHARGE? Or did they say you would just get three sets of keys. Just go to the lock smith and save yourself like $90.

As for key fob, do you really need three? Just keep them in a shared spot and whoever is going can use them.

Old 09-01-2013, 10:40 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,213,191 times
Quote:
I was surprised that they only provided us with 2 sets of keys to the apartment and 2 key fobs for the amenities (which they charge monthly for). They had told us during the leasing process that we would get 3 sets.
Never trust anything anyone in real estate says unless you get it in writing. Preferably writing in blood drawn at midnight on a full moon, but even that's no guarantee.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
Are you sure they said you would get 3 sets of keys WITH NO EXTRA CHARGE? Or did they say you would just get three sets of keys. Just go to the lock smith and save yourself like $90.

As for key fob, do you really need three? Just keep them in a shared spot and whoever is going can use them.
No need for all caps...Yes, I am sure. The other 2 people on my lease were there, they agree. We explicitly asked the question. And this thread is not even really about the lie. I can tell you about several instances of being lied to about far bigger issues than sets of keys, by real estate and service professionals in the last year.

I was/am just trying to ask whether providing fewer sets of keys, than the # people on the lease, was legit/typical/common or not. If this is the norm for this city, I'll just get over it. If it's atypical, I will go talk to the leasing office with more conviction.

Also, I am aware that locksmiths exists. I am also aware that sharing exists. Both have their issues, but this thread is not about those issues so I'll leave that alone.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:29 AM

2,256 posts, read 2,130,563 times
Read your lease.

If it is in the lease that you get 3 then there you go. If it isn't then too bad.

Them saying something isn't exactly binding.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:19 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
Quote:

No need for all caps
Doesn't everyone understand the meaning of the phrase ALL caps? Or indeed even the meaning of the word "ALL?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City