Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 4,961 times

Advertisements

I am African American and male. Im looking for a one bedroom apartment preferably in the bronx. Im in my mid twenties. I would prefer something with a backyard or roof/fire escape acess because I go to school for botany/horticulture (I get enough ignorant jokes about it). I want to eventually work for the botanical garden after I get my degree and maybe be a florist.

I am a HASA client. Again being in my mid-twenties and having lived in NYC all my life, I know what the connotation is concerning "those people". Both those on HASA and those on programs in general.

I mind my business for the most part I think because im used to by now not having friends. Growing up in the bronx I was always alone because my parents wouldnt let me go anywhere but the library (i still read incessantly) the only attention I got was being picked on or beatup. I can remember being happy to get beat up becuase then at least everyone would keep me around for awhile, LOL!! Once this boy from the bad part of parkchester popped my arm out the socket. Im mostly a loner now and I like it that way. If im dating, the individual knows my status. I hate telling people that part of my life because im always being complimented on my looks or the way I dress and I suppose I have grown out of that stage of life other than the fact that I very rarely have company. (Childhood bullying that is)

I wrote most of what I did because I've been looking for an apartment for some time and every now and again I come across this site looking. Some of the things people say on this discussion board are deplorable particularly abt HASA clients. There are not very many sites with that combination of letters on it so its not long before i hit here again. This worries me, also becuase I remember having to defend myself all the time. They teach kids now that it gets better and NYC has become alot more accepting of people, but im only 25-ish and I remember having friends killed, beatup etc and it reallly really sucked.

If there is a landlord here that will accept HASA from a young man who is in school and looking for a decent safe place to live until such time that he can finish school and support himself, that person would have my grattitude and the faith that I will not destroy his/her property.

Thanks in Advance

A Nice Kid (and well dressed kid, from the bronx)

Last edited by ANiceKid; 09-02-2013 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: I added the parenthesis (childhood bullying..) because I didnt like the way it read.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 05:52 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,888,788 times
Your best bet is to have the HIV/AIDS Services Administration help find you an apartment. There are several buildings in Manhattan set aside for exactly that purpose.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:46 PM

Thank You for reply,

I have an allowance for an apartment given to me by HRA under HASA guidelines. Going to them means that you would like to be placed in an emergency housing situation (ie a shelter) with persons who are probably much sicker than youd like to be around and drug addicts. Thanks but no Thanks. I have a great work history and im going to continue to work hard in this city and im not putting my body in the position to digress. I was irresponsible with it once and look what that wrought.

Like I said im looking for a landlord that wouldnt mind renting to me, as I see there are some that frequent this board. If this is not a fruitful endeavor then I will yeild to the other posters

I read your post again KefirKing and it is possible that I may have missed some information. If so feel free to message me. Otherwise, I will not be staying in a shelter, that simply will just not do.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:59 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,326,169 times
If you have "a great work history and going to continue to work hard in this city"..why are you on the HASA program? If you are 25 and able to work, you should be able to pay your own rent...correct? A good tenant to me is someone who would choose to work full time, and go to school part time, and pays his own way and earn what he has/gets rather than participate in a welfare program.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:27 PM

I absolutely agree with you.

I have every intention to pay the city back every dime they give me.

I do have a great work history but as I said im finishing my degree. I can take (another) retail job which will not pay the the rent.. A random retail job will not even qualify me as a tenant for most affordable housing arenas. I am not being a crybaby here as I said I am a young man who is/has owned up to the choices I have made(however influenced by my cohort and location of birth), however I have an opportunity here to get on my feet and make amends and move on the best I can.

I can go to school part time and work full time at a job that has nothing to do with my degree program (as many Americans sadly find themselves doing) and box myself into a low pay rate because I took something...anything instead of being patient. Lets not delude ourselves here, the vast reasoning behing the existence of the program we are discussing is because gay men and women are (at least in NYC) the working class citizens. During the 70s 80s and very early 90s the large portion ofthe homeless community was the LGBT community as well as those working in entertainment who were friends to the said community and still is in part today. Hence the thought process that if someone does not make it here.....

I'm not here to educate anyone, ive presented myself as best I can and as you know if you live here, I am apart of the working class. I keep a good look and repoir(sp) about myself and my community commands that I do so. Anything else is not an option. I can not apologize for anyone who came before me who does not have a future for themselves or want one or for those who want to live on a program for the rest of their lives and act foolishly to the detriment of their neighbors and landlord.

HIV is not stopping me. I stop me.

If anyone has an opportunity they would like to discuss you may respond here or send me a direct message.

Thanks In Advance.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 AM

25,347 posts, read 36,888,788 times
I'm thinking of places like Bailey House on Christopher and an apartment building in the West 50's that I saw advertising with preferences for those with AIDS.
These are permanent apartments, not shelters.

Why not check out the bulletin board at the Gay Center on West 13th between Seventh and Hudson or the new SAGE building on Seventh Ave. between 27th and 28th.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM

1,915 posts, read 3,977,511 times
You plan to pay the city back, really? I'm not sure that housing services is running a tab, but whatever.

Okay, here's some suggestions.

Post an ad on Craigslist and also go to your college to see if there are any housing options there. Another idea would be to go to a florist shop and ask if you can post a flyer about your housing search. While you are there, explain that you are studying botany and would love a part time job or internship.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:05 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,326,169 times
I don't really understand how you can be on a welfare program and then claim to be "part of the working class!" In my opinion this is not a tenant you want in your building. I am glad you keep yourself clean and your clothes pressed...congrats. But you well know that the HASA program is meant for HIV infected individuals who have difficulty working! Just because you have HIV does not mean you qualify for HASA....and yet...you have it.

You are leveraging the system to make your life easier when everyone else is hustling and struggling....working full-time and going to school part time. But why should you bother doing it the hard way and earn it? Just take the handouts and do it at your convenience. Yes indeed..a tenant worth having!

Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,242,724 times
The landlord inherits a lot of baggage when renting to a program tenant. That's why I always tell my landlord friends to stay away from renting to program tenants. It's not worth it no matter how much $$$ they throw in your face to entice you to rent to them. The fact that they have to entice you should be a red flag in itself. So many issues and drama comes along with renting to program tenants.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:48 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,347,042 times
I swear you people on city-data are terrible and bitter. To the OP I think it's safe you ask this on another blog because as usual city-data bloggers will find a way to bash you smh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City