Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:12 AM

33 posts, read 43,105 times

Advertisements

So I've read that this is a bad neighborhood and to stay away from it... But what do you think of someone who stays home most of the time, doesn't hang out in the streets. Only travels from home to work and to the gym. Doesn't bother anyone and doesn't start any trouble. I've lived in East Harlem all my life and I'm thinking about buying a house. Saw a few available on this area. Looks like more of a house that I would get in other "nicer" areas in the Bronx and Queens. Haven't had problems in East Harlem, ever, and I know this was and may still be a little hot area maybe because I got street smarts, but everyone develops these skills if you aren't raised in midtown and lower Manhattan or the financial district etc. East Harlem is gentrifying and prices are going up. Can this happen to this part of the Bronx too and therefore improve the neighborhood. Not now but maybe see changes in 10 years. Is it a bad move for someone like me to buy a house here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM

Forgot to mention I'm in my Mid 20's, so I will be raising my future family here.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:19 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,031,197 times
Sobroguy, cut it out. Just waiting for a response from Super Mario who does not understand the supply and demand, and value of property in inner city neighborhoods near the city core! Leave him alone. He just made a post about Harlem, South Bronx and bedstuy having higher murder rates than ENY but ENY gets no attention, buzz or interest.

Last edited by Bronxguyanese; 09-03-2013 at 08:32 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
Whatever gentrifying happens, it won't be on Burnside. That area is not good and even if it does get better, it will still carry the stigma of being a bad area. It really doesn't have anything that would remotely promote gentrification -- it is not an ideal location, it is chock full o' public and low income housing, it isn't particularly near Manhattan. At least East Harlem is on the island of Manhattan, where space is at a premium and people are willing to settle just about anywhere. I wouldn't invest there as a primary residence, street smarts or not. In this case, "you get what you pay for" is appropriate.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:36 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,064,755 times
The neighborhood is know as "Tremont",as in "3 are dead during a shootout in the Tremont section of The Bronx." Surely you have heard the name mentioned in the news.

Tremont, Bronx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Tremont has a population under 45,000. For decades, Tremont has been one of the poorest communities in America. Over half the population lives below the poverty line and receives public assistance (AFDC, Home Relief, Supplemental Security Income, and Medicaid).

"Many social problems associated with poverty from crime to drug addiction have plagued the area for some time. Despite crime declines versus their peaks during the heroin and crack epidemics violent crime continues to be a serious problem in the community.[2] Tremont's rates of dropout and violence in its schools are significantly higher than average.[3] Students must pass through metal detectors and swipe ID cards to enter the buildings. It is reminiscent of a prison environment which many feel encourages bad behavior. Other problems in local schools include low test scores and high truancy rates. Drug addiction is also a serious problem in the community. Due to the lucrative drug trade in the area many addicted reside in the community. Peer pressure among children from broken homes contributes to the high rate of usage. Many households in the area are headed by a single mother which contributes to the high poverty rate.[4] Many had their children at a very young age and could not provide for their children. Many of the families living in Tremont have been in poverty for generations. The incarceration rate in the area is also very high.[5] This has a direct correlation to aggressive policing tactics including "sweeps" due to the area's high crime rate. Tremont is home to a significant number of inmates currently held in New York state prison and jail facilities."

It's probably on a par with East Harlem but is this is where you would think of raising a future family ? Other places you have mentioned in previous posts,like Castle Hill,would be far superior.I'd even buy in much maligned Wakefield before considering Tremont.

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-03-2013 at 08:56 AM..

Old 09-03-2013, 08:43 AM

So what does that mean? if I can't buy a home next to multimillionaires on Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay or Country Club in the Bronx, then I should just avoid the Bronx??

Old 09-03-2013, 08:46 AM

The same article could've been said of East Harlem when I was growing up and I did alright. Graduated with a Masters in Engineering.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHarlemGuy View Post
So what does that mean? if I can't buy a home next to multimillionaires on Riverdale, Throggs Neck, Pelham Bay or Country Club in the Bronx, then I should just avoid the Bronx??
There are lots of decent neighborhoods in The Bronx. Kingsbridge,VanCortlandt Village,Bedford Park,Norwood,Pelham Parkway,Allerton,Van Nest,Bronxdale,Bronxwood,Parkchester and Morris Park are just a few and they are all infinitely better than Tremont.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,464,853 times
First of all, what is your budget? You can get a decent home in a decent area for 300-400K. Must it be a home? I'd rather buy a condo/co-op apartment in a nice area (which will have higher resale value) than a home in a neighborhood that is not safe, not desirable, and altogether NOT a good investment. I can tell you that multimillionaires do not live in most of those neighborhoods that you've listed. Most of those areas are predominately middle classed areas.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastHarlemGuy View Post
The same article could've been said of East Harlem when I was growing up and I did alright. Graduated with a Masters in Engineering.
Then why are you asking us ? Go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City