Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 11:08 PM

149 posts, read 458,193 times

Advertisements

I've been posting on here for info. on certain areas for my relocation. Mostly in the outer boroughs is where I have been concentrating. Tonight at work someone told me to look up the Inwood area. After searching on CL I was AMAZED at how many rentals were A) in my price range and B) Allow Dogs - which is a mandatory ammenity for me. I was hoping to get everyones opinion of the area. The general stuff I usually ask. How does it look,Ethnicity breakdowns, safety, etc. You know, all the good stuff! I am aware that it borders Wash. Heights which I have been informed (and researched) as an area that might not fit my bill. Also the crime stats seem a little high.....

**Crime: The 34th precinct, which also serves portions of Washington Heights, reported eight murders, 19 rapes and 260 robberies this year, compared to eight murders, 19 rapes and 258 robberies at this time last year.**

... But maybe some of those stats come from the Wash. Heights section. I'd appreciate any comments and info. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2007, 01:17 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Inwood is a ghetto neighborhood. It's similar to Washington Heights. I'd say there is crime in the area, not an incredible amount but stuff does happen. Also uptown Manhattan has ALOT of graffiti, and Inwood is no exception. The majority of the people are from the Dominican Republic. If you don't speak spanish you may feel out of place. As you get towards the west, the neighborhood becomes nicer. Overall, it's the ghetto.......but see for yourself, then decide.

Edit: Did a few quick calculations and the 33rd/34th precincts combine for a 1100+ crime rate per 100,000 people, that is a high number but it includes Wash. Heights.

Old 11-15-2007, 09:13 AM

3,357 posts, read 4,629,510 times
I’ll have to disagree with you Super Mario. In my opinion, Inwood is a great neighborhood. We lived on Seaman Avenue for years and really enjoyed it. East of Broadway was not as nice, I don’t know if that’s changing--we left in 2004. The bad thing was that living where we did, it was kind of far from even necessities like grocery store, dry cleaners, etc. Even the bodega was a hike. But there’s a lot of open space if that’s important to you.

Old 11-15-2007, 12:22 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,631,837 times
I wouldn't live in Inwood. Nothing against the nabe. It is just that it is WAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY uptown for my taste. It can take about 45 minuets to reach Midtown via the A. (And that's an "express" train.)

Old 11-15-2007, 02:09 PM

1,409 posts, read 5,248,856 times
I live south of Inwood, but go up there regularly to use the library, shop, etc. As others have said, it can be a haul to midtown- especially on the weekends when the A runs local due to construction or worse, when there is a shuttle bus instead of the train. If I were single, it would definitely put a damper on my social life. But the people are friendly and they love their dogs. There is a Washington Heights/Inwood forum if you google it.

The one thing I would be wary of is an apartment directly across the street from the park. The lights are out a lot and I would not walk there alone at night.

Old 11-22-2007, 12:41 AM

149 posts, read 458,193 times
What is it about this area that makes it such a popular place for people with Dogs?

Old 11-22-2007, 10:07 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
I've lived on the southern edge of Inwood (195th & Broadway) for the past couple of years, and have had no trouble at all. Yes, there are some areas that I probably wouldn't want to live in (I'm a middle-aged, single white woman), but for the most part it's fine.

As others have said, it's a bit of a hike to midtown -- even with the express train -- but given that it's probably the last "affordable" neighborhood left in Manhattan, it's worth it.

Old 03-09-2009, 10:05 AM

1 posts, read 11,120 times
Inwood9come see what we have to offer.........i got what you need....very nice and respectable nieghborhood w| nice ppl [who can hold it down]Inwood would actually be a great place 2 live as long as you keep it positive around everyone. Inwood is "hunted" because its built on top of a sacred indian burial ground.Inwood has a enormous park with many animals to see which is pretty unbelievable, such as skunks, bats, and many more.Inwood is really fun and there is alot of different parks to visitInwood isnt THAT bad. Its very interesting and MAYB, JUST MAYB you would think so too. Just bcareful of the bums on the street... =0]If your a music oriented indivual then move to harlem.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:02 AM

66 posts, read 305,913 times
Inwood is not a "ghetto neighborhood," especially compared to the real ghetto neighborhoods of Brooklyn and the Bronx (nor is Washington Heights for that matter). Of course it's not the nicest part of Manhattan, but it is a perfectly decent place to live. Plus you've got the big park right in the area for your dog to run around.

Old 03-09-2009, 11:37 AM

730 posts, read 2,053,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Inwood is a ghetto neighborhood. It's similar to Washington Heights. I'd say there is crime in the area, not an incredible amount but stuff does happen. Also uptown Manhattan has ALOT of graffiti, and Inwood is no exception. The majority of the people are from the Dominican Republic. If you don't speak spanish you may feel out of place. As you get towards the west, the neighborhood becomes nicer. Overall, it's the ghetto.......but see for yourself, then decide.

Edit: Did a few quick calculations and the 33rd/34th precincts combine for a 1100+ crime rate per 100,000 people, that is a high number but it includes Wash. Heights.
The demographics and the housing makeup may be similar to The Heights, but I always find Inwood to be much quieter. The only downsides are the graffiti, lack of parking, and the slowness of the A (so slow that the 1 local is a much better and faster option).

If you do choose Inwood, don't be afraid to take the (1). You would find it a much better experience than taking that so-called express called the (A). Even if it is local, it does not share its tracks with other lines (the A shares tracks with lines such as the C and D, resulting in delays).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City