Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 06:43 PM

1,405 posts, read 2,450,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
I wish I could say I've seen anything other than a direct correlation between "Electronic Music" and drug usage.
Though IMHO the only way to listen to that stuff would be to get as high as these kids. Shame they passed away, but they knew the risks doing such drugs.
As a listener of EDM music I completely disagree.

It's this notion that everyone that listens to EDM are on drugs or we can't control ourselves but for me it's strictly about the music. As cheesy as it may sound the music gets me high.

On another note I can't wait to see Kaskade at Barclays next month! I'll be sober and drug free if it's any consolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2013, 07:26 PM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuddedLeather View Post
As a listener of EDM music I completely disagree.

It's this notion that everyone that listens to EDM are on drugs or we can't control ourselves but for me it's strictly about the music. As cheesy as it may sound the music gets me high.
And I completely agree with you. I haven't gone to a rave or an electronic music event since the 90's but I still love the music. I can't believe it's been that long. It feels like it was just yesterday when I went to my first rave in the woods out in Suffolk County. But that's not here nor there.

I still listen to some of my fav DJ's when I'm on the train or at the gym. Nothing gets me pumped like some dope tracks being dropped by Deep Dish, Adam Beyer, Carl Cox, Sasha etc. I still love the music and I don't need drugs to enjoy it.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Been a part of the scene since 1995 dont drink nor do drugs and cant stand the people who think the scene is made up of festivals and drugs. Yes drugs are EVERYWHERE in life including parties, some scenes require more drugs to enjoy and unfortunately it gives a black eye to the entire scene in general.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:34 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,701,807 times
Most kids that do drugs at these events aren't real music lovers anyways. They're just there to make the scene and show off they are tripping and that's hip. Why serious music lovers that I've met are always sober and waiting for the performers to show their stuff.

I've always hated so many fakers and posers that show up at these events and make it difficult for people like myself who respect the music and performers.

During the underground days, you never see any issues or problems until the event gets bigger and posers show up and light it up or get busted and everybody loses.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:55 PM

Agree with all of you guys. I'm young but for me the experience is the atmosphere mixed with the energy and the lights (or none at all) + the crowd & the MUSIC. All of these elements make everything better for me A true state of euphoria. I actually want to remember the night! Even when I go see Kaskade I'll probably take one photo, right before it begins, but I won't be able to stop and record footage because I'll be in the zone.

Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,774,156 times
Just like when disco started in the early 70s and the underground and music heads enjoyed it until the disco explosion of mid to late 70's and mainstream media went on to the next thing and backlash began. It was business as usual for the underground, Soon this bubble will burst of dance pop and edm nonsense (a term only used by newbies and media) and when mainstream has moved on to the next sound/fad it will be business as usual for us music heads.

Old 09-03-2013, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Just like when disco started in the early 70s and the underground and music heads enjoyed it until the disco explosion of mid to late 70's and mainstream media went on to the next thing and backlash began. It was business as usual for the underground, Soon this bubble will burst of dance pop and edm nonsense (a term only used by newbies and media) and when mainstream has moved on to the next sound/fad it will be business as usual for us music heads.
I too hope the bubble will burst soon and people move on from this fad. That way those of us who love it can continue to support it.

Though I don't think the term EDM is new; it just probably wasn't as prominent in the older days than it is now. Granted I am younger (so I wasn't around during the disco era) but I thought EDM was just an umbrella (term) for the Dance Music genre. So instead of just saying someone likes House, or Trance or Disco (or say if you like all three) you'd say you listen to EDM. As a collective genre (or a category of music with multiple sub genres,) meaning you have no particular preference in a broader sense. That's my take on it rather.

When people ask me what type of music I like I tell them EDM and most people are like "What?" and I just explain it how I did above and then get a typical response . . . "Ohhh, ok. Yeah, I like House too"

Meaning my logic went completely over their head.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:08 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Six hits of molly bolly drug. Stupidity has no limits.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:41 AM

937 posts, read 1,134,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I'm still waiting for my refund for this concert that was canceled. Some say why bother going, Electric Zoo is only a half mile away from where I live and I can see the whole entire concert right outside of my window as well as hear the music being mixed by djs. This could have been prevented if the NYPD stop and frisked every single little white person that came to this event, as well as having undercover cops going through the crowds and pin pointing and arresting drug dealers, drug users and harassers a like. I remember last year I saw some chick shaking like she was having a seizure, all I could do was laugh at her. But seriously these folks smuggle alcohol and drugs into these events, mixing alcohol and drugs is a bad mix which confuses your heart, your breathing and your judgment. I'm glad that I'm going to get my money back!
NYPD would never do that, because the concert is 100% white, with a few speckles of Asians. LOL

And we all know that whites do not sell or use drugs. They are such great law abiding citizens.

Old 09-04-2013, 06:57 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Uppers suck. You never know when your body goes on overdrive. I know this girl who has a tendency for high heart beat. She really should not use amphetamines. After snorting her heart starts to beat really, really fast. What does she do? She chews 40 or 60mg of propranolol and snorts again. Nuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City