Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2013, 07:19 PM

11,190 posts, read 8,997,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
yeah that's true, gas & electricity is going to be $1500+, cell phone $1000, another ~$1500 for cable & internet. Can't believe I missed food lol

Really adds up, some people willing to pay that sort of rent on that salary and barely anything left. But you can also make sacrifices on certain things, I know plenty of people with no TVs, but everyone needs a cell phone
i can do without TV. i just need internet and i can watch movies and tv shows via justin tv or downloads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 07:49 PM

414 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomeBronx View Post
I moved here earlier this year from Seattle. I also live in the North Bronx, so it's not like I made the lateral move to Park Slope or something. I can only say that there are pluses and minuses to NYC over Seattle, but it's not like Seattle's a clear contest. It's a wonderful city -- but the only thing that makes it better is that it's easier because you can have a car and it's less crowded. Culture here is better, food (except Thai) here is better, and, unless you're a mountains person, the water and scenery here are good enough. It's cleaner and greener than downtown, but is that a comparison? If that's what you WANT, then move there. If you like the bustle, stay here. FYI -- Seattle is hella expensive, btw. It's cheaper in rent, but the housing market is back up and prices are VERY high for desirable areas in the nice neighborhoods. What you make up for in rent, you'll lose on everything else -- since Seattle is like NYC without all the bad parts, everything is expensive -- groceries, boutiques, services -- it's at a premium. Outside of rent, my cost of living there was much higher. I forgot, though -- Seattle does have one HUGE advantage over NYC -- good coffee. It's not that NYC doesn't have good coffee, but there's about a 10:1 ratio of good coffee in Seattle.
seattle COL is not even close to nyc COL, no matter what and salaries are high there too
sayin things like "outside of rent" is pointless, since housing is always the main factor, esp when u wan buy, and seattle suburbs are still quite affordable

Old 09-04-2013, 10:32 PM

259 posts, read 366,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityGirl332 View Post
Forget about "trendy" locations, the real problem is, it's often difficult to find a "safe" and "affordable" It is true that there are people from all over the globe in NYC, but in reality, how many New Yorker's actually interact with people outside of their racial/ethnic group on a regular basis? If I had to guess, I'd say very few.
I'm one of those few!

Wouldn't people have to do that on the job?

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,253,685 times
Quote:
If you found a place for $1500 in a good neighborhood (very do-able), you would then have $8K to spend on anything else for the year.
With real estate, it’s not simply total cost, but what you get for the money.

In any city in the country except for New York, San Francisco and maybe Boston, $1,500 would get you a decent apartment in a prime area—or a prime apartment in a decent area.

That budget prices you out of most of prime Manhattan or Brooklyn. Yes, you can live in a very inconvenient area with a long commute and limited amenities, but what the point of paying a lot of money to live in a neighborhood you don’t even like?

Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
With real estate, it’s not simply total cost, but what you get for the money.

In any city in the country except for New York, San Francisco and maybe Boston, $1,500 would get you a decent apartment in a prime area—or a prime apartment in a decent area.

That budget prices you out of most of prime Manhattan or Brooklyn. Yes, you can live in a very inconvenient area with a long commute and limited amenities, but what the point of paying a lot of money to live in a neighborhood you don’t even like?
exactly, has to be apples to apples for a good comparison

Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 AM

43,299 posts, read 43,957,600 times
One of the good things about living in NYC is one doesn't need car and there aren't many places like that in the USA.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:52 AM

16,200 posts, read 22,926,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
One of the good things about living in NYC is one doesn't need car and there aren't many places like that in the USA.
Even without a car, NYC still has some of the longest commute times in the nation even with public transportation. Sometimes driving around with a car from point A to point B will probably be faster than an average subway ride. Also transportation in NYC is very expensive from 112 dollar monthly metro card, to 4.50 a gallon regular gas

Old 09-05-2013, 09:18 AM

19,061 posts, read 12,595,525 times
From all the complaining on this site you'd think people would be running for the exits by the thousands from NYC, when in reality the opposite is true. People from all walks of life i& income levels are drawn to NYC and continue pouring in. Not everyone is interested in a cushy lifestyle, experiencing life to the fullest is often much more important

Old 09-05-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
From all the complaining on this site you'd think people would be running for the exits by the thousands from NYC, when in reality the opposite is true. People from all walks of life i& income levels are drawn to NYC and continue pouring in. Not everyone is interested in a cushy lifestyle, experiencing life to the fullest is often much more important
media hype

Old 09-05-2013, 11:01 AM

186 posts, read 360,956 times
u can have it. I wouldn't live there for less than 1/4 mill a year and at the end of that year, I'd take my money, invest it wisely, and live where climate and conditions are much nicer, doing nothing that I didn't feel like doing. Wage slavery sucks, no matter where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City