Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 01:27 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times

Advertisements

It is Sept 6, and the 50s (at night) have made their appearance and this commentor is already complaining about how cold it is...frigid nights, space heaters, heat laws? Really? I am glad this one is 1. Not my tenant and 2. Not a friend or family.

Move to Miami where you will have plenty of people who will commiserate on the frigid 55 degree temperatures sweeping through the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 01:47 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Own your own place and be a grown-up. Then you get to decide when the heat is on and when it isn't.
You mean "man up" and get a mortgage ?

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

317 posts, read 474,761 times
I'm not so sure I would personally classify the 40s at night "cold" especially if the weather is dry, but 40s accompanied by dreary rain and all-penetrating dampness can be mighty uncomfortable. And I do think that everyone feels temperature differently. That being said, there are a few easy (and if you already have the stuff, free!) things you can do that will help you stay warmer without running the heat.

For starters, throw an extra blanket on the bed and an extra sweatshirt/sweater or two on you. Two sweaters are SO much warmer than just one! Your bedsheets can make a big difference, too. Some always feel cold no matter what you do, and rob your body of heat as you sleep. Try flannel or fleece. A thick, cushy pair of socks (or two layered pairs of regular ones) help keep your feet warm. Are your windows drafty? Flop blankets over your curtain rods to cover your windows and keep heat from escaping them.

Finally, I don't know what your dietary needs and restrictions are, but you might want to consider trying to eat foods appropriate to the season. I find that heavier foods with a higher fat content like pizza, pot roast, and biscuits and gravy help my body generate and retain heat far better than lighter fare like citrus fruits and iced tea. Like to bake? Nothing makes a place as toasty and inviting as a warm oven and the smell of freshly-baked cookies.

I've lived in places that didn't have heat at all, and the only times I felt really cold were first thing in the morning when I got out of bed and right after a shower.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:27 PM

916 posts, read 2,246,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedivec View Post
I'm not so sure I would personally classify the 40s at night "cold" especially if the weather is dry, but 40s accompanied by dreary rain and all-penetrating dampness can be mighty uncomfortable. And I do think that everyone feels temperature differently. That being said, there are a few easy (and if you already have the stuff, free!) things you can do that will help you stay warmer without running the heat.

For starters, throw an extra blanket on the bed and an extra sweatshirt/sweater or two on you. Two sweaters are SO much warmer than just one! Your bedsheets can make a big difference, too. Some always feel cold no matter what you do, and rob your body of heat as you sleep. Try flannel or fleece. A thick, cushy pair of socks (or two layered pairs of regular ones) help keep your feet warm. Are your windows drafty? Flop blankets over your curtain rods to cover your windows and keep heat from escaping them.

Finally, I don't know what your dietary needs and restrictions are, but you might want to consider trying to eat foods appropriate to the season. I find that heavier foods with a higher fat content like pizza, pot roast, and biscuits and gravy help my body generate and retain heat far better than lighter fare like citrus fruits and iced tea. Like to bake? Nothing makes a place as toasty and inviting as a warm oven and the smell of freshly-baked cookies.

I've lived in places that didn't have heat at all, and the only times I felt really cold were first thing in
the morning when I got out of bed and right after a shower.
That's an excellent post with lots of good advise Sedivec! Especially about the bedsheets and eat foods
appropriate to the season part. I usually eat more meat and hot soups during the winter, and drink hot
black tea instead of green tea.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:34 PM

6,191 posts, read 7,357,387 times
My apartment is usually too hot all of the time. Like others, I need to pop a window in the winter.

Honestly if this weather requires someone to use a space heater and they are physically okay, I think it's time to move to the south. All you need until the heat goes on is, I don't know, an extra blanket or a sweatshirt to sleep in---pretty attainable if you pay a few grand a month.

Sedivec gives some nice advice in a pleasant way.

Old 09-06-2013, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydata View Post
That's an excellent post with lots of good advise Sedivec! Especially about the bedsheets and eat foods
appropriate to the season part. I usually eat more meat and hot soups during the winter, and drink hot
black tea instead of green tea.
I agree. No smart ass comments to boot. For some people weather conditions can be annoying and it can be a quality of life issue.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:07 PM

6,680 posts, read 8,237,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Own your own place and be a grown-up. Then you get to decide when the heat is on and when it isn't.
Not true! May co-op buildings don't turn the heat on till October and those people own.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:15 PM

1,356 posts, read 1,222,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
Not true! May co-op buildings don't turn the heat on till October and those people own.
That's why co-ops s*ck. You really don't own sh*t. Own some real "Real" property then play with the heat all you want.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingsinglenyc View Post
True. I've heard stories of people owning million dollar condos and having to use space heaters. Why don't we have a building code where landlords are required to install individual heating/ac units ?

I think the city has it ass backwards. Between 6am and 10pm it has to only be 55 degrees and lower to have heat WTF ? Why would someone need less heat when they sleep ? That is when your body temperature drops.

It's a dumb law.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 PM

34,091 posts, read 47,293,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Between 6am and 10pm it has to only be 55 degrees and lower to have heat WTF ? That's why the heat is turned on while you're sleeping.
Fixed.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City