Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:36 AM

259 posts, read 368,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
Well it's 49 degrees right now 9:02am. I'm sure it was much colder a few hours ago. How is everybody doing with no heat ?
It's about 80 degrees, even at night, even with the window open...since you asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 07:46 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I hate the NYC heating laws. You only get heat from October until May and ONLY when it reaches 40 degrees or below (at night 10pm -6am). If you are cold at 43 degrees TS !

I pay a few grand a month for my apt and I have to use portable space heaters on all night. The problem is the new ones are made in CHINA and they don't put out enough heat. Luckily last season I bought three older models that have worked for me in the past but who knows how long they will hold up.

Also when the heat does come on it shuts off at a certain temperature until (wait for it) IT GETS COLD AGAIN. NICE. It makes me crazy and I walk around sleepless for it.

I hate this city !
It is almost October. Comfort is subjective. You seem to be the type who always want their apartment really warm. My wife and I have a pretty good tolerance for cold so we don't mind this time of the year. We are not using our heavy blankets/comforter yet. We are using an extra blanket and are sleeping fine.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-24-2013 at 07:56 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I've only lived in pre-war apartments. They are usually too hot and you have to open your windows even during the winter.
It's because the building is overheated, this is not necessarily related to it being a pre-war building.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Just another reason never to rent again.
What does that have to do with anything? You can be a homeowner and have a crappy heating system that you will need to pay to replace or repair which is another headache in it of itself.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:03 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
It's because the building is overheated, this is not necessarily related to it being a pre-war building.
Many pre-wars have problems with uneven steam distribution, so apartments on the 2nd floor may be too cool and on the 6th floor too hot. As far as I know, this is not a problem in newer buildings.

Old 09-24-2013, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Many pre-wars have problems with uneven steam distribution, so apartments on the 2nd floor may be too cool and on the 6th floor too hot. As far as I know, this is not a problem in newer buildings.
Yes that is the real problem distribution issues. Newer buildings by and large are not heated by steam so these kind of problems don't arise although there are definitely distribution issues in water heated buildings as well which are unique to those kind of heating systems.

Theoretically once the steam distribution issues are corrected which can be done by properly venting the system and/or enhancing/adjusting controls the issue can be corrected even in a pre-war.

Last edited by NooYowkur81; 09-24-2013 at 08:30 AM..

Old 09-24-2013, 08:30 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Actually no.

I have been ,living in my building for 25 years, the first 4 years i lived on the first floor, SAUNA. first ones to get the heat, last ones to lose it. steaming hot.

then I moved to the 4th floor where I have been now for 20 years. we are the last ones to get the heat, and the first ones to lose it. it is never a sauna up here. temp reads 71, as i have thermometers on all the doorways to each room.

It is much more colder on the 4th floor than the first floor in a pre war.
i am living proof of that

Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM

18,470 posts, read 31,638,910 times
Quote:
Actually no.

I have been ,living in my building for 25 years, the first 4 years i lived on the first floor, SAUNA. first ones to get the heat, last ones to lose it. steaming hot.

then I moved to the 4th floor where I have been now for 20 years. we are the last ones to get the heat, and the first ones to lose it. it is never a sauna up here. temp reads 71, as i have thermometers on all the doorways to each room.

It is much more colder on the 4th floor than the first floor in a pre war.
i am living proof of that

Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,618,316 times
Steam heat is just so powerful. You have a steam radiator on for 20 minutes and suddenly the room is 90 degrees. You could probably maintain a comfortable temperature in a lot of pre-war apartments with the steam heat coming on just a couple times a day. I can see how it would be hard to control.

Old 09-24-2013, 11:10 AM

19,046 posts, read 13,959,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
What does that have to do with anything? You can be a homeowner and have a crappy heating system that you will need to pay to replace or repair which is another headache in it of itself.
Because I do not like being dependent on other people to make choices for my family. If my heating system breaks, I fix it or get a new one immediately. I did this with my AC in the spring. If my AC had broken in an apartment, I'd have been at the mercy of the landlord to deal with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City