Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:54 AM

259 posts, read 368,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Then I realized that so many people out in the cornfield states and the west never saw any of this. They didn't live with it in the news day by day for nine months or know anyone who was working downtown or on Staten Island, while pretty much anyone in this area did. After the initial week, they all went back to their normal lives, while the NY metropolitan area did not.
They went back to their normal lives...unless they wanted to get on a plane. The changes in the aviation industry were a direct result of 9/11 and they are nationwide.

I'm not even going to get into the politics about the Zadroga Act or how the EPA announced that the air around Ground Zero was safe to breathe just days after the attack. Forget the feds; that was why I said that maybe the petition should be to make it a local NYC holiday. It seems as if the events on that day are more significant to this region than they are to the nation as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:55 AM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryanise View Post
They went back to their normal lives...unless they wanted to get on a plane. That was one change that went into effect nationally that was a result of 9/11.
Ha, good point.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:06 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,499,620 times
I remember speaking to a friend who lived out in California right after 9/11 and I specifically remember him saying that "not many people out here are affected by it".

I remember being shocked by that. Being a NYer, it felt like the end of the world to me.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:33 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,045,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

I think Sept 11th should have become a "National day of Mourning", and everything (within reason) should be closed. This should had started the following year. But we are such a greedy money hungry nation, that that would have never happen and we must work, work, work.

It would really make me crazy that our politicians say, we must "continue" and "go on" the world cannot stop. Ok, I get it, but all our people died on that day, so yes, I think America can stop for a bit.....

I had friends in the WTC, so I am sensitive to it.

Funny how "Martin Luther King" became a national holiday during the 80's. This is why i cant understand why 9-11 cant become a holiday either?
Sbould Gettysburg be considered a national holiday?

Old 09-12-2013, 08:53 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen5276 View Post
I remember speaking to a friend who lived out in California right after 9/11 and I specifically remember him saying that "not many people out here are affected by it".

I remember being shocked by that. Being a NYer, it felt like the end of the world to me.
Our offices were on Wall Street. We also have offices in California.

We had one employee in our San Fran office who received a paycheck instead of direct deposit. We were able to get in a payroll just before the WTC collapsed.

The paydate was 9/14 and, obviously, we were not allowed back into lower Manhattan. I get a call at home from this San Fran employee asking why she had not recieved her paycheck. Paychecks are delived to the NY office then forwarded to branch offices.

I explained to her that no paychecks were delivered and we dont expect to be back in the offices for another week or more. She asked WHY? I said..didnt you see on TV how bad it was. Her reply..So?, thats not our building.

Californians can be idiots.

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Our offices were on Wall Street. We also have offices in California.

We had one employee in our San Fran office who received a paycheck instead of direct deposit. We were able to get in a payroll just before the WTC collapsed.

The paydate was 9/14 and, obviously, we were not allowed back into lower Manhattan. I get a call at home from this San Fran employee asking why she had not recieved her paycheck. Paychecks are delived to the NY office then forwarded to branch offices.

I explained to her that no paychecks were delivered and we dont expect to be back in the offices for another week or more. She asked WHY? I said..didnt you see on TV how bad it was. Her reply..So?, thats not our building.

Californians can be idiots.
Wow. And I'm planning on moving out there.....that's pretty messed up. I want to believe that it's just a few select idiots and not the general population out there.....

Old 09-12-2013, 09:09 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,066,134 times
Its a lot more than a few select ones. Californians can be clueless at times. You will find they work slower without any sense of urgency. Sorta like a banana republic siesta attitude....

Old 09-12-2013, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Its a lot more than a few select ones. Californians can be clueless at times. You will find they work slower without any sense of urgency. Sorta like a banana republic siesta attitude....

I don't mind the slower pace at all, that's one of the things I'm actually looking forward to. The NYC frantic, rush rush rudeness has worn me down over the years.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:44 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't think it will because the further away from New York you go, the less they were affected by it. Not saying that it didn't strike everyone at first, but it left their collective consciousnesses much faster.

I worked with a woman who lived in New Jersey and went to work in Chicago three weeks after 9/11. Coverage of the recovery and cleanup operations were still every day news here, as it was for MONTHS, but she said when she got to Chicago those three weeks later, there was nothing in the news about what was going on downtown, nothing at all. It was as if 9/11 had never happened.

NOT wanting to get into the whole conspiracy mess here, but I do think that's where a lot of misconceptions come from. I've often wondered, for example, how people could try to claim things like all the debris was quickly removed and disposed of and the steel sold off to China. How could they not remember the Holland Tunnel being closed for months (a year?) to all but the trucks coming and going from the site and the barges carting those mountains of debris by water to Fresh Kills? How can they not remember the site still on fire and smoking until early January? How can they not remember the tents and conveyors and operations at Fresh Kills? The stories of the volunteers who were working to support the firefighters and construction workers at Ground Zero? The coverage of the steel and fire engines and other artifacts stored at Hangar 17 at JFK? The lines of family members waiting to have their inside cheeks swabs for DNA samples and the medical laboratory set up under the FDR to identify body parts?

Then I realized that so many people out in the cornfield states and the west never saw any of this. They didn't live with it in the news day by day for nine months or know anyone who was working downtown or on Staten Island, while pretty much anyone in this area did. After the initial week, they all went back to their normal lives, while the NY metropolitan area did not.

very good points made here.

being a native NY'er, of course I am sensitive to it. We all have/had friends/family that worked in the trade centers, so it hits a nerve.

Your right, people in Nebraska on their corn field just go about their day, and what are they supposed to do?, they are supposed to go about their day.

Old 09-12-2013, 09:46 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Sbould Gettysburg be considered a national holiday?

your comment wasnt appreciated and you could be a little more sensitive to the ones that were really effected by 9/11

*****sticks tongue out*****

PS: I wasn't talking about Gettysburg, but MLK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City