Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2013, 04:43 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times

Advertisements

This has to be one of the most inconsistently followed traffic laws. When a school bus is flashing its red lights cars in all directions are supposed to stop. Good idea but many people ignore it especially on busy divided roadways where there are no kids in sight. If you stop, many cars don't and that is dangerous. I've watched city buses go right past them in addition to many cars.

I think in the early 1970s there was an exception to the law in NYC where you had to exercise caution but did not have to stop, but it has been the law here now for many years.

So I ask, do you always stop for them when their red lights are flashing and you are on a busy street with rush hour traffic behind you?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
Anything with a child on that bus, I keep a full stop.

I've seen it a few times where a driver of an empty bus puts up the sign to jaw-jack with somebody they know on the street. For that I'll drive past.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 PM

3,445 posts, read 6,065,005 times
When I lived in the city very few people stopped. On Long Island, everyone stops. I believe it is the law now in NYC.

An interesting aspect of the law I think NO ONE follows is if a school bus is stopped on the cross street, near the intersection, and is flashing its lights, all cars, in all directions must stop.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:30 PM

439 posts, read 896,154 times
I thought you were supposed to stop only when the STOP sign folds out from the drivers side section of the school bus... otherwise, I usually drive right by when the back red lights are blinking, but I also slow down considerably.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:33 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,082,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapanza107 View Post
I thought you were supposed to stop only when the STOP sign folds out from the drivers side section of the school bus... otherwise, I usually drive right by when the back red lights are blinking, but I also slow down considerably.
Right, I think the STOP sign folds out when the red lights flash and you must stop. Flashing yellow lights just mean proceed with caution.

Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,679,941 times
I stop even if the majority of others keep going or honk me. im not getting a ticket for $270 or whatever and 5 points on my license. many of these drivers aren't aware that it applies to a divided road. this often happens on E 241 st street in The Bronx in the AM; i am travelling eastbound and a westbound bus is stopped with the stop sign out and lights flashing--they honk at me or go around me when i stop. as far as i know i have to stop even if the bus is way over on the other side

Old 09-11-2013, 06:02 PM

439 posts, read 896,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Right, I think the STOP sign folds out when the red lights flash and you must stop. Flashing yellow lights just mean proceed with caution.
Well, I don't recall seeing flashing yellow lights, just red flashing lights on the back of the bus. But like I said in my last post, if I don't see the STOP sign folded out, I'll just pass by the bus. But now I'm thinking, maybe the sign that folds out is broken, and so the red lights mean the same thing??

Old 09-11-2013, 06:14 PM

478 posts, read 773,734 times
Since when has it become the law that you must stop in the opposite direction on a *divided* road? Example---upper Broadway, Manhattan---you can't be expected to be watching the traffic on the opposite side, can you?

Old 09-11-2013, 07:19 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
When a stopped school bus flashes its red light(s), traffic approaching from either direction, even in front of the school and in school parking lots, must stop before reaching the bus. You should stop at least 20 feet (6 m) away from the bus. You can identify this bus by a "SCHOOL BUS" sign, the red lights on top, and its unique yellow/orange color.
Before a school bus stops to load or unload passengers, the driver will usually flash yellow warning lights. When you see them, slow down and be prepared to stop.
Once stopped for a school bus, you may not drive again until the red lights stop flashing or when the bus driver or a traffic officer waves you on. This law applies on all roadways in New York State. You must stop for a school bus even if it is on the opposite side of a divided highway.
After stopping for a school bus, watch for children along the side of the road. Drive slowly until you have passed them.
Safety Tip: Most school bus-related deaths and injuries occur while children are crossing the street after leaving the bus, not in collisions involving school buses.
Keep in mind that vehicles transporting disabled persons may be equipped as school buses, and you must stop for them just as you would for other school buses.
The fine for passing a stopped school bus ranges from a minimum of $250 for a first violation to a maximum of $1,000 for three violations in three years. In addition, if you are convicted of three such violations in three years, your license will be revoked for a minimum of six months.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/chapter06-manual.htm

Old 09-11-2013, 09:04 PM

195 posts, read 304,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterStereoman View Post
Since when has it become the law that you must stop in the opposite direction on a *divided* road? Example---upper Broadway, Manhattan---you can't be expected to be watching the traffic on the opposite side, can you?
I was thinking the same thing, because almost every other state ive been stopping for buses does not apply to divided highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
When a stopped school bus flashes its red light(s), traffic approaching from either direction, even in front of the school and in school parking lots, must stop before reaching the bus. You should stop at least 20 feet (6 m) away from the bus. You can identify this bus by a "SCHOOL BUS" sign, the red lights on top, and its unique yellow/orange color.
Before a school bus stops to load or unload passengers, the driver will usually flash yellow warning lights. When you see them, slow down and be prepared to stop.
Once stopped for a school bus, you may not drive again until the red lights stop flashing or when the bus driver or a traffic officer waves you on. This law applies on all roadways in New York State. You must stop for a school bus even if it is on the opposite side of a divided highway.
After stopping for a school bus, watch for children along the side of the road. Drive slowly until you have passed them.
Safety Tip: Most school bus-related deaths and injuries occur while children are crossing the street after leaving the bus, not in collisions involving school buses.
Keep in mind that vehicles transporting disabled persons may be equipped as school buses, and you must stop for them just as you would for other school buses.
The fine for passing a stopped school bus ranges from a minimum of $250 for a first violation to a maximum of $1,000 for three violations in three years. In addition, if you are convicted of three such violations in three years, your license will be revoked for a minimum of six months.

http://www.dmv.ny.gov/dmanual/chapter06-manual.htm
Duly noted. I think it may be a bit excessive to have to stop on a divided highway, of anything it could lead to more accidents with vehicles randomly stopping in the middle of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City