U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2013, 01:43 PM

4,438 posts, read 4,248,317 times

Advertisements

paying for private tutoring or attending test prep schools? I have noticed many a test prep schools targeting students for Special Highs and Hunter. I just wonder if it is intended to be this way.... There is nothing wrong for parents to pay for private tutoring to help their children learn. But I thought these special schools were meant to select naturally gifted and talented students, not just hard-working and privately tutored test takers. It seems like that they have spurred an increasing tend of test preps in this city that is non existent in the rest of the country.

For Hunter high school, I heard that the competition is extremely tough due to their smaller admission number out of thousands of top performing students from entire NYC who are eligible to take their entrance exams. How many of Hunter students today made the selection without being privately tutored or attending prep schools? Do the school officials care for this practice?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM

3,780 posts, read 3,375,445 times
Isn't this how all the best schools are?

Old 09-12-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Isn't this how all the best schools are?
I feel that a lot of smart kids lose in this selection process because of the lack of targeted preparation .

IMO, these schools should alter the format and focus of their entrance exams every year to make it difficult for targeted preparation in advance to make it a more effective selection process for unprepared G&T kids.

Last edited by leoliu; 09-12-2013 at 02:14 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 02:38 PM

8,048 posts, read 9,828,771 times
so hunter should take lazy gifted students?

then why not just give everyone IQ test and use that for entrance

Old 09-12-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
so hunter should take lazy gifted students?

then why not just give everyone IQ test and use that for entrance
you misunderstood my point. i see that the current selection process encourages too much hard work and repetitive drilling on the known pattern of tests and range of test content, in other words, too focused and predictable to test the gift and talent level of the candidates. the test designers could work harder to optimize the selection criteria to catch true top kids..

Old 09-12-2013, 04:11 PM

791 posts, read 1,359,004 times
I took the Stuyvesant HS admission exam in 1975. I got in easily without any special prep. Though, I don't think they had that nonsense back then.

Old 09-12-2013, 04:47 PM

2,402 posts, read 1,662,262 times
My daughter was accepted to Stuyvesant and Townsend Harris in 2002 without any special tutoring or prep courses.

Old 09-12-2013, 05:23 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,773,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
For Hunter high school, I heard that the competition is extremely tough due to their smaller admission number out of thousands of top performing students from entire NYC who are eligible to take their entrance exams. How many of Hunter students today made the selection without being privately tutored or attending prep schools? Do the school officials care for this practice?
HCHS alum. i didn't prep and actually took the test completely cold IIRC. i was the only one from my junior high in brooklyn who got in - i think some of the other kids there had prepped but didn't get in

very few of my friends while i was in HCHS had prepped either (that i recall). this was about 10 - 15 years ago. i've heard prep has become more common since then

a lot of people forget/don't know that students who attended hunter elementary get automatic admission to the high school. so right there is a significant chunk of students in the school without prep (although doesn't really address your issue)

there was only HCHS, BxSci, BT and Stuy back in my day. with so many new schools, i figure there has to be more opportunity for teenagers to get in without prep nowadays, even if the amount of students with prep has increased

Old 09-13-2013, 04:47 AM

6,107 posts, read 6,586,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
you misunderstood my point. i see that the current selection process encourages too much hard work and repetitive drilling on the known pattern of tests and range of test content, in other words, too focused and predictable to test the gift and talent level of the candidates. the test designers could work harder to optimize the selection criteria to catch true top kids..
And? They are going to do the same thing for the SAT, GRE, etc. Besides, you are kidding yourself if you think that the test designers want anything more than to make money.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:03 AM

24,122 posts, read 33,701,166 times
Some poor kids are VERY smart, believe it or not, and don't need endless high cost tutoring to get them good test results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>