U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 06:04 AM

3,940 posts, read 3,449,977 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a small town with formal "rednecks" and honestly there really wasn't much difference between them and those who lived in town. However I see a difference between those who live urban vs suburban. Are suburbanites the new socially absent rednecks? What is really the difference between driving from the woods to get groceries vs driving from the suburbs? Both are a car bubble world and have internet at home with a cell phone. It's not like people associate with their neighbors. How are suburbanites different just because they see more car traffic?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 06:36 AM

132 posts, read 295,368 times
For the life of me, I don't understand why people who choose to live in urban areas look down on those who choose not to. Everyone's values are just NOT the same.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:22 AM
bg7

7,696 posts, read 9,749,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
I grew up in a small town with formal "rednecks" and honestly there really wasn't much difference between them and those who lived in town. However I see a difference between those who live urban vs suburban. Are suburbanites the new socially absent rednecks? What is really the difference between driving from the woods to get groceries vs driving from the suburbs? Both are a car bubble world and have internet at home with a cell phone. It's not like people associate with their neighbors. How are suburbanites different just because they see more car traffic?

Come check out suburban Larchmont with me. Its very red neck, there's the yacht club on the Sound, the french patisserie run by the French ex-pats (great pan au chocolat) and perhaps we could drop by the farmer's market or the Larchmont historical society. Its hilariously redneck.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:35 AM

4,495 posts, read 4,307,385 times
it has been that way for centuries in other cultures back in europe and even more so in asia. America is just catching up with other old time cultures...i was surprised upon on my first arrival in this "weird" land when i saw only haunted downtown area for most america cities. but even in the south they are attempting to clean up the town center areas to revive urban life style. when that is done, you could expect that there will be fewer transplants flocking to nyc for a taste of city living.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:53 AM

16,217 posts, read 21,631,190 times
what does this have to do with NYC?

Old 09-13-2013, 08:15 AM

16,236 posts, read 7,225,540 times
Larchmont? This river don't go to Larchmont.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,471,938 times
Suburbs are not all the same. There's a big difference between a place like Hastings-on-Hudson and sunbelt sprawl.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:48 AM

3,445 posts, read 5,705,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometV6787 View Post
For the life of me, I don't understand why people who choose to live in urban areas look down on those who choose not to. Everyone's values are just NOT the same.
That usually happens when the urbanite realizes the S$%Thole he now lives in for $4,000 a month isnt exactly turning out to be his dream and he can't tell his Starbuck slurping friends he really wants to live in nicer area.

Old 09-13-2013, 08:59 AM

821 posts, read 1,040,356 times
Is there something wrong with preferring rural living or in your term, being a red neck?

Old 09-13-2013, 12:38 PM

809 posts, read 1,194,234 times
If you like taking a dump in a corner you can barely stand in your little shoeshack by XXth and madison, then I sure am a redneck for choosing to poop with my legs wide open and eating pretzel sticks while I'm at it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City