Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:01 AM

2,134 posts, read 3,041,670 times

Advertisements

People get mad because they want the world to be what they want it to be rather than accept it for what it is.

People have some valid points but at the end of the day their opinions change nothing. When they leave NYC another person will shortly arrive to take their place and the world will keep spinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You probably were afraid you'd get flamed because the obvious answer is that you should move out. I see these threads all the time, and while I agree that NYC is not for everyone, I don't understand posting them. If you don't like it here and don't feel it offers good value, why not just spend your time and energy making plans to get out rather than complaining on a message board? I guess if it is therapeutic to do so and you need to vent, then go for it. But it does seem a bit like spinning of wheels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:03 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,957,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
People get mad because they want the world to be what they want it to be rather than accept it for what it is.

People have some valid points but at the end of the day their opinions change nothing. When they leave NYC another person will shortly arrive to take their place and the world will keep spinning.
The saying is different strokes for different folks! The city has always been come and go. A large percentage of people come here as students, interns, medical residents, first law firm jobs, and were never going to stay here permanently to begin with.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:11 AM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
Quote:

Next time I'll remind myself to not make simple conversation with other people and have every waking minute of my day doing only productive things and never discussing a situation with anyone else. After all, during that time conversing with someone or relaxing or watching television or playing video games you can always be doing something of consequence. Like instead of going to that Labor Day BBQ, you can do something productive. Or what about watching ball games. You don't need to do that either.

Where did I state that I don't accept anything for what it is?

70 posts, read 238,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I think you might have missed part of my post or I didn't write well enough. I said "we own cars" but he was pointing out the fact that many people here don't and are tethered to a life of apartment dwelling and public transportation.
Not needing to own a vehicle was something that drew me to NYC nearly 10 years ago. Anyone who complains about not having a car here clearly needs to move out ASAP.

In addition, I know rent is high but it is possible to find a good price if you're willing to make a sacrifice. My spouse and I only pay $1,200 for a 1 bedroom in South Slope, Brooklyn. We have a full kitchen, a sizable living room and the building is solid (meaning we don't hear our neighbors through the walls). The neighborhood is also incredibly safe and we can get fairly cheap food and groceries. Our sacrifice is having a 45 minute+ door-to-door commute - which isn't even that bad! It's also annoying living around the pretentious moms and yuppies, but I can deal with them over wannabe gangster kids. I should note that we've been living here for over 5 years now and my landlord is super awesome and hasn't increased the rent for us since moving in - rent in the area may be a different story now.

The only time I feel an itch to leave NY is when I have to deal with stupid *******s on the subway. But if I did move away, I'd likely have to own a car... in which case I'd still have to deal with stupid *******s, they'd just be in other cars.

Last edited by elletee; 09-13-2013 at 11:25 AM..

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:

If your root is here or were established here before the bump in NYC real estate market, it is difficult for you to truly appreciate how overwhelming it is for new comers who moved to here only to find out so little is left for them...despite people coming and going, opinions about this frustrating reality in NYC will persist...so stay patient and be prepared to hear more about from the next wave of new comers...

Old 09-13-2013, 11:16 AM

821 posts, read 1,099,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
If your root is here or were established here before the bump in NYC real estate market, it is difficult for you to truly appreciate how overwhelming it is for new comers who moved to here only to find out so little is left for them...despite people coming and going, opinions about this frustrating reality in NYC will persist...so stay patient and be prepared to hear more about from the next wave of new comers...
I've actually been in Queens my whole life. Many other natives I know are expressing the same CONCERNS. Perhaps I have a different interpretation on such matters, but why does it appear to only be COMPLAINING to others rather than stating CONCERNS. Is it abnormal or bad to be concerned about one's finances, the future in general, where they will be able to or if they even can afford a home somewhere, where they will raise kids, their personal safety, their peace of mind? How is this all a matter of whining?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:30 AM

5,114 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
I've actually been in Queens my whole life. Many other natives I know are expressing the same CONCERNS. Perhaps I have a different interpretation on such matters, but why does it appear to only be COMPLAINING to others rather than stating CONCERNS. Is it abnormal or bad to be concerned about one's finances, the future in general, where they will be able to or if they even can afford a home somewhere, where they will raise kids, their personal safety, their peace of mind? How is this all a matter of whining?

It is an insult for some NYC patrons to hear anything not so glorifying about the city living, or some simply feel overloaded with similar prior discussions. I do not mind hearing it because I agree it is a big problem in breeding that will ultimately impair the QOL for both local and incoming residents.

But NYC is not alone and is actually still much much better compared to some Japanese cities, Hongkong or Singapore. But it is heading that way on an express track.

Old 09-13-2013, 11:47 AM

364 posts, read 708,080 times
Quote:
It was a statement he made, perhaps with some hyperbole. I got the gist of his statement.

I go to Forest Hills frequently to visit a friend between 108th Street and Queens Boulevard. Parking is difficult.
Parking is not difficult, it's close to impossible!

Old 09-13-2013, 11:59 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Although some areas have been gentrified in recent years, I believe some areas resemble third or perhaps second world areas.

> Bushwick
> Jamaica
> South Bronx
> Elmhurst
> Jackson Heights
> part of Flushing (which is a VERY large neighborhood)
> Brownsville
> Red Hook
> and many other places I've visited or actually worked in for years.
Good thing I don't live in any of these neighborhoods, although I bet you'd feel the same about Ridgewood if you have Jackson Heights and Elmhurst on the list.

You can probably put "parts of..." in front of many (if not most) American neighborhoods.

Old 09-13-2013, 12:04 PM

10,786 posts, read 11,307,745 times
Quote:
Oh. So all of America resembles NYC, just with less population density?
Population density is what makes NYC so appealing for many. If you do not like density, not sure why you'd live here. I guess you have no other choice?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City