Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
Because I didn't see how coming on a message board to complain about it to strangers would change their life any way. If I don't like any aspect of my life, I change it. Might not be easy, or it may take some time, but personally if I'm unhappy with any aspect of my life I just do my best to change the situation. But now I just don't care anymore. They can vent as much as they want to.
So you never talk discuss your thoughts about something with others WHILE you are working on the issue you are discussing?

Anyone with half a brain understands that writing on a forum doesn't lend to the project of picking up and leaving or changing life in anyway! I'm truly amazed that people expect others to spend every waking minute of their day doing something of serious consequence, as if there's no such thing or understandable reason for a pastime, that being posting on a message board or simply conversing with other people.

Seriously, do you think ANY forum on the net would hold up or make any profit if all the posters were only posting about consequential things all of the time?

And let us say I was in the process of moving and as I am loading the Uhaul truck, someone asks me, "Why are you leaving?", would it be unreasonable to say, "Here are my reasons for leaving:..." or would it be more appropriate to respond, "Sorry, I can't tell you. I only do things; I don't discuss them. No need for small talk. Bye."

I wonder if people would even be able to so-called "shoot the s--t" with one another if EVERYTHING they spoke about was so consequential or of such great importance and everyone was just on their best behavior all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 09:35 AM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
So you never talk discuss your thoughts about something with others WHILE you are working on the issue you are discussing?

Anyone with half a brain understands that writing on a forum doesn't lend to the project of picking up and leaving or changing life in anyway! I'm truly amazed that people expect others to spend every waking minute of their day doing something of serious consequence, as if there's no such thing or understandable reason for a pastime, that being posting on a message board or simply conversing with other people.

Seriously, do you think ANY forum on the net would hold up or make any profit if all the posters were only posting about consequential things all of the time?

And let us say I was in the process of moving and as I am loading the Uhaul truck, someone asks me, "Why are you leaving?", would it be unreasonable to say, "Here are my reasons for leaving:..." or would it be more appropriate to respond, "Sorry, I can't tell you. I only do things; I don't discuss them. No need for small talk. Bye."

I wonder if people would even be able to so-called "shoot the s--t" with one another if EVERYTHING they spoke about was so consequential or of such great importance and everyone was just on their best behavior all the time.
I rarely if ever comment on my personal issues - that's just me, and I'm speaking for myself. I'm not knocking anybody who does differently.

However, it's not like people are coming on here asking for advice on how to improve their situation living in this city, or on how to leave. It's just venting at this point. So if it makes people feel better to come on here and vent and complain about their situation (high rent, subjective quality of living) then I can understand that now, and have no more qualms with threads like these that are started.

For discussion's sake, are you indeed leaving NYC? If so, what is your plan? Do you have one? And where are you relocating to?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-14-2013, 09:49 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
In any event, its a lot easier to break a lease and move out of state than give up health benefits earned through residency.
What health benefits are you talking about? Welfare benefits? You can get health benefits through any job that offers them, your residency has nothing to do with it unless you're on a welfare program.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,563 times
Quote:
I rarely if ever comment on my personal issues - that's just me, and I'm speaking for myself. I'm not knocking anybody who does differently.

However, it's not like people are coming on here asking for advice on how to improve their situation living in this city, or on how to leave. It's just venting at this point. So if it makes people feel better to come on here and vent and complain about their situation (high rent, subjective quality of living) then I can understand that now, and have no more qualms with threads like these that are started.

For discussion's sake, are you indeed leaving NYC? If so, what is your plan? Do you have one? And where are you relocating to?
You ever think of this type of talk regarding CONCERNS and CURIOSITY (eg, "Is anyone else feeling or seeing what I'm feeling or seeing?") rather than COMPLAINTS?

I would like to research and visit several states and see if there is decent amount of jobs in my field in any of them. That's the first step I plan on taking. For me, the project will not be quick.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:57 AM

Quote:

Some people do come on here to ask for advice on how to improve their personal issues. I've seen people ask others how to find a good shelter (when they were living in an abuse family situation), ask for advice on jobs, housing situation, how to deal with landlords, how to deal with neighbors who crap on the floor and stink up their building, etc.

Also, sometimes when people VENT, in real life or in public, someone does give advice. Sometimes if the advice seems like something that makes sense they take it.

I think its good to vent. These people are admitting that they are struggling. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards you fixing that problem. Just because someone admits to a problem doesn't mean they have to have an instant solution that day. But its an important first step.

Towards those struggling in the city, there's several possible solutions. You can go out for higher paying jobs in the city. You can leave town and look for opportunity elsewhere. You can join some sort of activism group (fight for raises/better pay in your industry).

But back to venting, when people vent they learn that they are not going through whatever they are going through alone. Plenty of people are going through the same problems they have great difficulty in solving, and just learning that others share those problems can make people feel better.

Old 09-14-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
You ever think of this type of talk regarding CONCERNS and CURIOSITY (eg, "Is anyone else feeling or seeing what I'm feeling or seeing?") rather than COMPLAINTS?

I would like to research and visit several states and see if there is decent amount of jobs in my field in any of them. That's the first step I plan on taking. For me, the project will not be quick.
Quote:
Ever think of it, as in come to your wits' end and leaving this concrete and asphalt monstrosity with its areas resembling the third world, overcrowding, limited resources, decaying infrastructure, noise, tremendous expense, rude behavior, high amount of poor command of the English language, and so on?

That's your first post in this thread. Really doesn't come off as "concern" or "curiosity," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. I don't expect you to achieve your goal of leaving overnight, as it takes a lot of research and planning, but best of luck to you.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Some people do come on here to ask for advice on how to improve their personal issues. I've seen people ask others how to find a good shelter (when they were living in an abuse family situation), ask for advice on jobs, housing situation, how to deal with landlords, how to deal with neighbors who crap on the floor and stink up their building, etc.

Also, sometimes when people VENT, in real life or in public, someone does give advice. Sometimes if the advice seems like something that makes sense they take it.

I think its good to vent. These people are admitting that they are struggling. Admitting you have a problem is the first step towards you fixing that problem. Just because someone admits to a problem doesn't mean they have to have an instant solution that day. But its an important first step.

Towards those struggling in the city, there's several possible solutions. You can go out for higher paying jobs in the city. You can leave town and look for opportunity elsewhere. You can join some sort of activism group (fight for raises/better pay in your industry).

But back to venting, when people vent they learn that they are not going through whatever they are going through alone. Plenty of people are going through the same problems they have great difficulty in solving, and just learning that others share those problems can make people feel better.
And this is exactly why I don't have a problem with these types of threads anymore. I understand now that people feel defeated, dejected, are afraid, confused, a myriad of emotion. Hopefully venting helps them. I feel a tad remorseful reading these threads now because of my previous opinions on them. NYC can be a tough place to live and it's not for everybody. Everybody just wants to live a decent life and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
What health benefits are you talking about? Welfare benefits? You can get health benefits through any job that offers them, your residency has nothing to do with it unless you're on a welfare program.
Not everyone lives administratively and operationally efficient enough to be able to just walk off and leave so easily.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
Not everyone lives administratively and operationally efficient enough to be able to just walk off and leave so easily.
Dude, a homeless person could pandhandle enough money for a Greyhound bus ticket and leave that day. Anyone can leave whenever they want to.

If you don't want to leave, FINE. Stay. Its each person's choice where they want to live. But to say someone can't leave if they want to is ridiculous.

Now, just because you can leave doesn't mean you should. Maybe a person has a good job or a house here and things are wonderful for them here. Then there's no reason to leave.

But I say this for people anywhere, if things aren't working out for you where you are, you seriously need to consider all options and that includes looking for work/opportunities elsewhere. No whining and no excuses.

Old 09-14-2013, 11:47 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,317,052 times
A lot easier for a homeless guy to move than someone with dependents living off the system who can't care for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City