Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:04 AM

821 posts, read 1,099,826 times

Advertisements

Ever think of it, as in come to your wits' end and leaving this concrete and asphalt monstrosity with its areas resembling the third world, overcrowding, limited resources, decaying infrastructure, noise, tremendous expense, rude behavior, high amount of poor command of the English language, and so on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 09:07 AM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I think people have, since there are at least two long threads about this exact subject within the past 2-3 weeks.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM

I'd like to see them. I'll search around. Perhaps you can link them here? Thank you for the response.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:09 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Ever think of it, as in come to your wits' end and leaving this concrete and asphalt monstrosity with its areas resembling the third world, overcrowding, limited resources, decaying infrastructure, noise, tremendous expense, rude behavior, high amount of poor command of the English language, and so on?
every day!

Old 09-13-2013, 09:11 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Every day pretty much, but career wise I don't have the flexibility right now to do it. I'm kinda stuck here right now. Trying to change that...

Old 09-13-2013, 09:13 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,306,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
I would if I lived in these type of conditions that you state, but I don't.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,495,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
Every day pretty much, but career wise I don't have the flexibility right now to do it. I'm kinda stuck here right now. Trying to change that...
Same here. I get through the days by day dreaming about the day I can leave lol

Old 09-13-2013, 09:19 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for the responses. I thought I would get flamed for such an OP, but my nerves are wearing thin here. It seems that even if you are a middle class person with an advanced degree perhaps, but don't work in one of these fields: 1) marketing and advertising, 2) financial services, 3) law, 4) medicine, that you don't live poorly per se, but can't get ahead. And what I mean by that is rather cynical: you are forced to live in one of the outer four boroughs, most of which are outrageously, pretty much sinfully, overcrowded, hugely expensive for what you get in housing and quality of life, with some resembling the third world. So as an upstanding person you don't want to go on welfare, but because of your situation can't save enough to move out to a more pleasant place in Long Island.

These days, I hardly even see any young homeowners. I walk around Northeastern Queens, Nassau, and Suffolk, and all I see are old or older people who made their money in better, more affordable times decades ago. I know several people that left.

My friend who is a social worker left because he couldn't take it anymore. We own cars, but he once said, if you live in the boroughs, you are trapped--trapped to your apartment and trapped in public transportation because many can't afford to have a car here.

I still see people aged 25 to 34 living like they're dorming still. It's bizarre.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
I would if I lived in these type of conditions that you state, but I don't.

In the exact area I reside in Northeastern Queens, it is not like this. It doesn't mean I don't live around these conditions considering I'm not a shut-in and have worked in all the boroughs except Staten Island.

Where do you reside? You don't have to give your exact location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City