Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 AM

70 posts, read 238,115 times

Advertisements

I have the misfortune of working in an office full of transplants. Alright, I have to confess, I grew up in Jersey - but at least that's only one state over. While most of my coworkers are cool, some of them are really obnoxious when it comes to their team loyalty.

For example, my office had an NFL day during the regular season opener last week. I wore a Giants jersey because this is the team I grew up to. One of my coworkers, a Pats fan from Boston, scoffed and I asked why I was wearing it. Um... what? I also have worked in the past with a dude from San Francisco who would rag on me for not liking the SF Giants over the Yankees. I understand there is a lot of hate towards the Yankees (this is another team I was raised on so I won't shake my allegiance), but he was incredibly annoying about it and tried to pick fights.

Look, I am completely fine if someone doesn't like the same teams as me. I can respect all teams and I'm not going to be a prick about it. However, moving from your home to a different city and bashing the local teams is a bit obnoxious. Am I right to think this? If I ever moved I would still be loyal to my teams but I would NOT be disrespectful to others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 11:57 AM

268 posts, read 480,816 times
How old are you... 12?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:58 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Pats fans are just douchy in general...

Old 09-13-2013, 12:08 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
true. he must be mad the ny giants beat the pats the last two superbowls lol.

the yankees didn't move to california, so i don't see why you wouldn't like them
over the sf giants.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:49 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
I'm a native New Yorker and I did the same thing when I had to live in the midwest for a few years. I'm sure they thought I was a big NY Giants douchebag.

Old 09-13-2013, 01:53 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elletee View Post
I have the misfortune of working in an office full of transplants. Alright, I have to confess, I grew up in Jersey - but at least that's only one state over. While most of my coworkers are cool, some of them are really obnoxious when it comes to their team loyalty.

For example, my office had an NFL day during the regular season opener last week. I wore a Giants jersey because this is the team I grew up to. One of my coworkers, a Pats fan from Boston, scoffed and I asked why I was wearing it. Um... what? I also have worked in the past with a dude from San Francisco who would rag on me for not liking the SF Giants over the Yankees. I understand there is a lot of hate towards the Yankees (this is another team I was raised on so I won't shake my allegiance), but he was incredibly annoying about it and tried to pick fights.

Look, I am completely fine if someone doesn't like the same teams as me. I can respect all teams and I'm not going to be a prick about it. However, moving from your home to a different city and bashing the local teams is a bit obnoxious. Am I right to think this? If I ever moved I would still be loyal to my teams but I would NOT be disrespectful to others.
I'm not a sports fan, but I thought this whole rivalry thing and getting on each others nerves about which team is better was supposed to be part of the fun of it?

Old 09-13-2013, 02:21 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
Henna you are correct. Trash talking is part of being a fan.

OP just seems a little thin-skinned.

Jets vs Giants, Yankess vs Mets trash talk is normal among us natives. I would expect the same from any transplanted sports fan, completely normal and acceptable behavior.

Old 09-13-2013, 03:00 PM

8,011 posts, read 11,396,946 times
^ there's no denying which two teams out of those four are the
best tho, even if you really have nothing against the other two.

Old 09-13-2013, 04:27 PM

34,003 posts, read 47,240,427 times
Quote:

I can't be mad at people rooting for their hometown team, I don't see why the disdain for that. What I don't get is rooting for a team that's not from your hometown - that completely baffles me.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 09-13-2013, 11:19 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,033,564 times
Quote:

As a native New Yorker Im a die hard NY Giants, NY Knicks and NY Yankees sports fan and to a lesser extent NY Rangers due the the fact Im not into hockey and I feel hockey is a Canadian, Scandinavian and Russian sport. I have Knicks Yankees and Giants fitted sports caps that I wear, but I also love to wear those fitted caps when Im outside of NYC, far far away. Thanks to gentrification and declining industries of the west coast and midwest, it has become common to run into these folks through up and coming, hip and trendy areas of NYC. Sometimes during playoffs heated tense games I like to stroll into Transplant bars with my NYC sports teams attire. Yeah you see these people roll their eyes when when they see me plus even worse when the knicks, Yankees or giants win. Now in the coming days Im going to head to Transplant bars to watch some football sporting a goat tee, gold chain tucked in my jersey but exposed around the neck, a yankees cap reversed and last wearing a NY NFL Giants tean jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: