Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 06:24 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times

Advertisements

ive read that Morrisania is east of the Concourse but more often its considered east of Webster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 06:30 AM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
I agree with rlrl. I've always felt Claremont to be west of Webster. No way do the streets hugging third avenue belong to anything other than Morrisania or Crotona park.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
ive read that Morrisania is east of the Concourse but more often its considered east of Webster
What would you say the Concourse neighborhood is?

Old 09-16-2013, 06:55 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Id say the Concourse area is between Jerome and Webster

heres a question. Ive seen the "Jerome Park Neighborhood, along the northern reaches of the Grand Concourse" described. would this be the area west of the Concourse with all the schools as well as the area to the east (Valentine, Bainbridge etc)? For example, would Bedford Park Blvd and Bainbridge be considered Jerome Park? Would Creston and 198th be Jerome Park? I know University and 197th definitely is Jerome Park

Old 09-16-2013, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
Id say the Concourse area is between Jerome and Webster

heres a question. Ive seen the "Jerome Park Neighborhood, along the northern reaches of the Grand Concourse" described. would this be the area west of the Concourse with all the schools as well as the area to the east (Valentine, Bainbridge etc)? For example, would Bedford Park Blvd and Bainbridge be considered Jerome Park? Would Creston and 198th be Jerome Park? I know University and 197th definitely is Jerome Park
Then there is an overlap between Concourse and Claremont?

Jerome Park is squarely west of Jerome. Creston and 198th would still be Fordham-Bedford to me. Remember, Creston and 183rd is considered Fordham. So is Valentine and 183rd. So these avenues north would both be the same north Fordham.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:20 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
I pretty much agree with sobroguy's comment about Bronxites and their neighborhoods.Many don't know what neighborhood they live in,most don't really have clue of what the real neighborhoods and boundaries are and many say they live in neighborhoods that don't really exist or are made up of pieces of different neighborhoods. It's very confusing.The real state industry contributes to this by changing boundaries and names of areas to suit their financial interests.Some say they live in a different neighborhood because a next door neighborhood is perceived as better neighborhood.

Not that it is necessarily the final word but when you google "Claremont,Bronx" you get a map that shows boundaries of CB Expressway(North),169th St (South),Fulton Ave(East) and The Grand Concourse( West).
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Clare...+York&t=m&z=15

The boundaries are indicated by dotted lines.

I know everyone uses the term(s) but I'm not sure there really even is an official neighborhood of Crotona Park,either East or West.

The only neighborhood officially designated as " Concourse" is significantly further to the South...below 169th St.

Interestingly,when you google "Morrisania,Bronx" you get a map with the boundaries of 169th St( North),161 St( South),Fulton Av and 3rd Ave( East) and Park Ave( West).
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...&ved=0CIUBELYD

If you google "Fleetwood-Concourse Village,Bronx) you get a neighborhood with ,again 169 St (North),149th St( South),Park Ave( East) and Grand Concourse( West)
https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CHUQtgMwCg
All of the maps show 169 st as the boundary line between Morrisania and Claremont and Fleetwood and Claremont.

I think most of the area to the East of Crotona Park is officially "Fairmont". It's boundaries show as Crotona Park North( North boundary),Claremont Parkway and Freeman St( South),The Bronx River( East) andd Fulton( West)

https://www.google.com/search?client...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

South of Fairmont is Foxhurst:https://maps.google.com/maps?client=...ed=0CGUQtgMwCg

Last edited by bluedog2; 09-16-2013 at 11:33 AM..

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
What would you say the Concourse neighborhood is?
169( North),149 ( South),Park Ave(East) and Jerome Ave( West)

Old 09-16-2013, 12:04 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
I grew up in Morrisania and I know that from reading this forum many Bronxites that post regularly are biased against it. This is probably because at no time in their memory was Morrisania a nice place. So they prefer to call it anything but Morrisania.

Morrisania starts at E. 163rd and Morris Ave. on the south west border. West of that is the Concourse area and it has a different feel to it. The eastern border is Southern Blvd. The northern border is the CBE. So I'm agreeing with SeventhFloor, rlrl, and SuperMario.

Claremont is just a subsection of Morrisania, like Hamilton Heights is a subsection of Harlem.

If they start to really develope the area between Fulton and Prospect they should consider buildings with underground parking and private homes with parking. Like the Belmont section the subway is not nearby. But once on the subway either the Concourse D/B or the 2/5 (depending on which one you're closer to, it is straight short ride to Manhattan

SuperMario I remember you posting quite negative about Morrisania in the past, why are you considering the area now? I'm glad you are because I would love to see the area come back and Crotona Park restored like Morningside Park and others in Harlem.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:08 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,857,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
169( North),149 ( South),Park Ave(East) and Jerome Ave( West)
Park Ave is not West enough. If you walked around there you would understand why Morris is the border. Also it is named Morris Ave for that reason.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
So then, would Yankee Stadium be considered part of Melrose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City